HELP what to do will 8002 be too windy?

starfamily

Ok I am in a mini panic now, we are booked in 8002 on the Sun for Christmas western caribbean, we LOVE using our veranda and that was why I picked that cabin because it is so large. Now I hear that it is too windy to use the veranda when at sea (when I would be out there) I checked with my TA and she said it has gone up $880.00 more to switch to and AC in the back, that is a big chunck, I was prepared to switch for like 500.00 or so. She said that since it is Christmas she doubts there will be any upsells available. Has anyone stayed in 8002 on the caribbean route and been able to use the veranda?

We used the front balcony on the Dawn with no problems, but it was summer, not winter. Still, I think while cruising between islands you should be fine. Not sure the itin, but if there is a long haul portion (like back to NY!) you would of course find it uncomfortable at full speed heading to colder climes.

Do a search using just "windy" and you should find a bunch of posts. Don't keep it specific to a particular ship as it is an issue for any forward facing cabin.

We stayed in 8002 and had no problems whatsoever with wind. You do feel it if you're standing out on the balcony when the ship is in motion but when you're sitting down on lying on a chaise lounge you really don't feel a thing. We were able to keep the balcony doors open on sea days with no problems whatsoever.

Here are some photos of 8002: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/1251466

I think you made a very good choice!

8202 in Alaska - used the front balcony every day - never too windy. I even hosted a CC meet and greet on the balcony on a sea day. The steel walls seem to direct the wind up and away from the balcony.

There should be pictures on page two of the link below.

Sunbalcony.jpg.5865821942e20d5c6e36de6441597794.jpg

As the balcony is under the bridge- do they look down onto you or do you have privacy?

From the front of the balcony you have your friends on deck 9 you can visit with san you can wave to the bow cam on the bridge. If you are in the back of the balcony you do have reasonable privacy.

Neighbors.JPG.4b3c3e63176b61b19161f0c22a6b290b.JPG

It's not like on the star princess is it? One thing I hated about those mini suites is they jutted out farther than the decks above them and there was NO privacy at all people stared down at you all day and night. Is there any covering on the balcony so I could enjoy it if it was raining?

It's not like on the star princess is it? One thing I hated about those mini suites is they jutted out farther than the decks above them and there was NO privacy at all people stared down at you all day and night. Is there any covering on the balcony so I could enjoy it if it was raining?

Rain is an issue. Front of the ship you will run into the rain drops. There is some cover. If you are still thinking about the AC go for it. A great suite, aft, and no wind issue at all.

SunR1balchair.jpg.8ab52738c9a5c332ebb52badc8e4e231.jpg

From the front of the balcony you have your friends on deck 9 you can visit with san you can wave to the bow cam on the bridge. If you are in the back of the balcony you do have reasonable privacy.

Is that pic..... SHOREGUY? Nice to put a face to the name!

gosh I am back to not knowing what to do, we are already paying over 5000.00 so I hate to spend another 880......

Look at it this way....every cruise ship in the world, every week, has 8 - 10 families who pay LOTS of money for those forward facing cabins.

they're typically the Owner's Suites plus some 2nd - 3rd tier cabins (on NCL they're AC's)

If they were horrible cabins, then they would be in a lower category, or they would be vacant.

Enjoy the trip!

gosh I am back to not knowing what to do, we are already paying over 5000.00 so I hate to spend another 880......

You could book a bunch of insides and feel good about he spend or think of it this way next to you is an AB and above you the AA. The location can not be all bad:cool:

My son was in an AB on the Dawn last month and still liked the AD on the Sun better. Nothing like standing on that massive balcony coming into port except in my mind sitting on an aft balcony leaving port.

http://community.webshots.com/album/159106958GSAAVk

http://community.webshots.com/album/183489624XKLtWI

Archived