Nevis or St. Kitts for beach day?

Koohiichan

Our ship stops in St. Kitts. We’ve been twice before and done the island tour and zip lining in the past. This time we want a relaxing beach day. I’m considering the ferry to Nevis because I’ve never been and it seems the beach, Pinney’s, might be better than the beaches on St. Kitts. Is my impression correct? Is there a reason to choose Nevis over St. Kitts that day?

1 hour ago, Koohiichan said:

Our ship stops in St. Kitts. We’ve been twice before and done the island tour and zip lining in the past. This time we want a relaxing beach day. I’m considering the ferry to Nevis because I’ve never been and it seems the beach, Pinney’s, might be better than the beaches on St. Kitts. Is my impression correct? Is there a reason to choose Nevis over St. Kitts that day?

Go for Pinney’s and Sunshine’s for great lunch and a few “Killer Bees”

Ferry Info and Schedule https://www.sknvibes.com/travel/ferry.cfm

Fare was $7 pp e/w

No S.H.T. to be seen.

Killer Bees appears to be a refreshing fruit punch, that encourages more.  
Then one opens one’s eyes and thinks “What am I doing in t6e back of a Police Van?” 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wrunkles said:

Where is the ferry in regards to the cruise ship port?  

From the ship it’s about a 10 minute walk.

Exit Port Zante, turn left into the main road, walk about 3 minutes, you’ll see a wood footbridge on left, take it, this is the entrance to the Ferry Terminal.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. Loved Pinney’s beach. Our best port day. Great swimming and the ocean was uncrowded and beach did not seem overly crowded. Delicious food available. Killer Bees were definitely killer. Will do Nevis again if I have the opportunity. 

BTW, I booked the ferry and chairs/umbrella ahead via Trip Advisor. 

Koohiichan

11 hours ago, Koohiichan said:

Thanks for the advice. Loved Pinney’s beach. Our best port day. Great swimming and the ocean was uncrowded and beach did not seem overly crowded. Delicious food available. Killer Bees were definitely killer. Will do Nevis again if I have the opportunity. 

Koohiichan

So pleased the day was memorable…..

Didn’t know about the Trip Advisor booking facility…. Kindly post the link for others to benefit.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

From the ship it’s about a 10 minute walk.

Exit Port Zante, turn left into the main road, walk about 3 minutes, you’ll see a wood footbridge on left, take it, this is the entrance to the Ferry Terminal.

Hi, was this on your own or through a cruise ship? Just wondering if Celebrity has you picked up as you disembark and take you to the sea taxi  or must we walk the 10  minutes as you described. Not sure in tour description. Thanks!

5 hours ago, jerseyjill said:

Hi, was this on your own or through a cruise ship? Just wondering if Celebrity has you picked up as you disembark and take you to the sea taxi  or must we walk the 10  minutes as you described. Not sure in tour description. Thanks!

The directions and prices were for an independent journey.  Have no idea as to the scope and coverage of a Celebrity offering.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:23 PM, Koohiichan said:

Koohiichan

Can you share a link for the pre-booking? I’m looking on Trip Advisor and don’t see anything. Thanks. Ann

On 1/23/2023 at 10:19 PM, jerseyjill said:

If you take a ship tour to Nevis, they bring a ferry over to the dock at the end of the cruise ship pier. You'll just walk through the mall to the left. Organizers usually have you at the end of the pier and walk over together.  It's the same dock that the catamaran tours leave from. 

• Like 1

Just realized there are FIVE ships in port when we visit St. Kitts. Thinking that Nevis/ Sunshine’s might be our best option with Marriott as the alternative. How likely are the cruise ships to have excursions over to Nevis? 

thanks. 
ann 

8 hours ago, charleysmom said:

Just realized there are FIVE ships in port when we visit St. Kitts. Thinking that Nevis/ Sunshine’s might be our best option with Marriott as the alternative. How likely are the cruise ships to have excursions over to Nevis? 

thanks. 
ann 

In the past, ship tours of Nevis if advertised a “beach stop”, in addition to places of interest, then it was Limes for about 60/90 minutes, not Sunshine’s.

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

In the past, ship tours of Nevis if advertised a “beach stop”, in addition to places of interest, then it was Limes for about 60/90 minutes, not Sunshine’s.

Lime is a 5 minute walk next door to Sunshine's. Plenty of time to have lunch at the Lime, walk over for a few Killer Bees, have a short swim, and still meet the van to the ferry dock back to St Kitts. I guarantee that. 

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Lime is a 5 minute walk next door to Sunshine's. Plenty of time to have lunch at the Lime, walk over for a few Killer Bees, have a short swim, and still meet the van to the ferry dock back to St Kitts. I guarantee that. 

Agree, this is common knowledge.  
It would be nice for Sunshines if many did the walk, but the overwhelming majority on trips just take the food and two drinks they’ve “paid for” and stay put.

19 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree, this is common knowledge.  
It would be nice for Sunshines if many did the walk, but the overwhelming majority on trips just take the food and two drinks they’ve “paid for” and stay put.

Additional - A sad memory of some tour takers

Pre-Covid at Sunshines, sitting at the bar chatting, when a couple from a tour arrived.  
Bartender “Good afternoon, what can I get you?”

“How much are the Killer Bees?”.  
Bartender responded.   
“Is that for one or two?” -

“Each”

The couple turned and walked away

11 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Additional - A sad memory of some tour takers

Pre-Covid at Sunshines, sitting at the bar chatting, when a couple from a tour arrived.  
Bartender “Good afternoon, what can I get you?”

“How much are the Killer Bees?”.  
Bartender responded.   
“Is that for one or two?” -

“Each”

The couple turned and walked away

Very sad. We tend to avoid ship’s tours. 

5 hours ago, charleysmom said:

Are there water taxis from the cruise ship dock to Nevis? I’m seeing some conflicting information. 

This information is as one knew it.  No doubt current visitors will add.

There is a distinct difference between a Water Taxi and the regular Ferry Service.  

The regular Ferry service, schedules, price, walking directions, entrance (outside port) are posted for the independent traveller.  

A Water Taxi being ‘adjacent’ to the Ship is only for the Ship Tours.  Hence, the short walk inside the Cruise Port/Terminal.

Independent travellers are not allowed to take a Water Taxi being used for Ship Tours.

Another method to Nevis, pre COVID (open to general public)

Take a taxi (about $30/35 per cab each way) to Reggie Beach Pier to catch sea shuttle to Nevis (think it was $20/25 ppp each way) to Charleston port.  There was no actual timetable with plenty of transfers.  Ample taxis at Nevis port.

Additional:

There will also be plenty of shuttle minibus taxis to Reggie and return to ship (Not sure about the fare but work on $10/12 pp e//w)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 7:23 PM, Koohiichan said:

Koohiichan

I was looking to do this also for the beginning of April...I don't see where to book the ferry and beach chairs...that would be awesome!

1 hour ago, goldens4ever said:

I was looking to do this also for the beginning of April...I don't see where to book the ferry and beach chairs...that would be awesome!

Many are waiting, with great interest, for the posting of a link to book both simultaneously.

One knows the ferry operators and Sunshine’s are totally independent entities, with what appears to be no common management, contractual or financial connections.  So a link would how to achieve this would be great.

No doubt  @Koohiichanwill post soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LakePerson said:

Many thanks for this, but it’s by Catamaran and a beach stay at Limes.

We are awaiting  a link delivering a Ferry crossing and Sunshine’s 

• Like 1

It's been a few years, but as I recall the ferry terminal is walking distance from the cruise port.  Several ferry's run each day with separate schedules, so note the return times (it's not a regular schedule like every hour, it's more random).  Once at Nevis, take a taxi to Sunshine's.