Onboard Epic now - impressions and Daily

Ohio boomer

Lastmango212. - (were there really 211 previous usernames before of this spelling?), 

Embarkation - it’s lousy… so… as I said earlier, get there early and wait.  First boarding times are at 11:00am I believe… and NO ONE gets on board at that time…. They didn’t even start to allow folks into the staging building until maybe 11:45?… by this time, the line was maybe 500 people long.. most of us waiting outside in the sun.  By the time we boarded, the line was much longer.  My recommendation is arrive early…. Know you are going to wait, and just know you will have an hour or more to stand there….. nothing you can do about it….. unless you are a “Haven person”, then you can go right in.  One of the issues is getting to the pier….. this pier is near the Sheraton Hotel and the road leading to the drop off is WAY backed up.  We waited 45 minutes at the Sheraton for a taxi.. only to grab an Uber…. Drive 200 yards, sit in traffic for 30 minutes and got out and walked the mile to the pier….. so…… you have been warned…. Personally, unless you are a “I have to take my entire wardrobe with me in a steamer-trunk” type of person, next time I would stay at the Sheraton and walk…. You can see the ship from the hotel.

spenecer- we did not get the ultimate drink package but the “Standard” (booze) drink package.  I’m a whiskey / bourbon person and am getting by with Jack Daniels. Wife is more of a Jameson person so we have no complaints.  If you want say a Woodford, etc. , it’s an up charge.  By the time I’ve had plenty of beer of all types during the day, I find my bourbon selection is less important in the evening….. be patient…. Be flexible…. And be on cruise time.

also…. I will not be posting any more dailies until I get back….. the ships captain has called me asking me to stop posting dailies and said that every time I try to send A 5 mb file, the engine rooms strains and the ships slows….. so…. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Ohio boomer said:

First boarding times are at 11:00am I believe

Just want to outline that we have a 9am boarding time for Jan 15th but also are in the Haven so not positive if that makes a difference. That being said we expect to be waiting until around noon before you get on the actual ship.

Thank you SO much for these current updates!  We are going on the 22nd sailing.

Two questions... I am a draft beer drinker....spoiled on the Joy last winter as they had the District Brewhouse.  Disappointed on the Pearl in April as they only had Heineken on draft.  I'll do a bottle if that's all there is but hoping for at least a few draft options!  If you can let me know, I would appreciate it very much!

Enjoy!

NYE - for those of you wondering,  yes… you can watch the US college Football playoffs in O’Sheehans.  That had both final games on.  Mostly soccer is on at all other times as that more accurately reflects what the majority of cruisers (on this cruise) will want to see. 

NYE - is my most disliked holiday. But… for cruising, they have something for everyone that night…. Bands…. Food specials,  comedy Clubs, their Beatles band did a special show…. You can stay up as late or as early as you want.  Something for everyone.  And…. As usual,  the women all looked fabulous….and beautiful…. And the men looked like we are going to Applebees…. 

• Haha 2

Crander - The Epic has very few options for a “decent pint”…. few draft options and what you will find are an uninspired (think Heineken or a light beer of some type).  I was able to find a Goose Island IPA at O’Sheehan’s.  I will personally attempt to sample each beer…… just for you…. And report back.  There is no brewpub or microbrew on board….. lots of bottle options though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ohio boomer said:

Crander - The Epic has very few options for a “decent pint”…. few draft options and what you will find are an uninspired (think Heineken or a light beer of some type).  I was able to find a Goose Island IPA at O’Sheehan’s.  I will personally attempt to sample each beer…… just for you…. And report back.  There is no brewpub or microbrew on board….. lots of bottle options though. 

Thanks much!  Yep, I am aware of the uninspired options.  I think the other light beer is likely Stella.  Last cruise I lived on Heineken draft which they had in the Garden Cafe and a few of the other lobby bars, etc.  Figured it was the same based on the Epic as they don't have the Brewhouse.  Enjoy checking for me!  I'd do the same for you!

4 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We will be on the Epic in April for a Transatlantic it will be our 6th cruise on this ship. Thank you for all the updates.

Nice!  I'm hoping to a TA soon as well!  This trip pretty much completes my must see Caribbean list so on to the rest!  Have a great time!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crander said:

Nice!  I'm hoping to a TA soon as well!  This trip pretty much completes my must see Caribbean list so on to the rest!  Have a great time!

Well, have fun booking a TA those are my favorite. This will be our last TA until maybe next year. We usually do TA in the Fall, there have been times we do them East bound and Westbound in the same year, but this coming fall we are hoping to do Hawaii and Alaska in September on the NCL Spirit.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:18 AM, J0Y0US said:

Just want to outline that we have a 9am boarding time for Jan 15th but also are in the Haven so not positive if that makes a difference. That being said we expect to be waiting until around noon before you get on the actual ship.

You have a 9am check in time, not boarding time. Haven will board first, but I would be surprised if it is any time before 11am. 

On 1/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, Ohio boomer said:

….. unless you are a “Haven person”, then you can go right in.  

So is there a separate line for Haven?  This will be my first time in Haven so not sure how it works in San Juan...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crander said:

Thank you SO much for these current updates!  We are going on the 22nd sailing.

Could you post back on your check-in/boarding experience? We're on the week after you.

Thank you!

Edited by KSSS2013

On 1/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, Ohio boomer said:

Embarkation - it’s lousy… so… as I said earlier, get there early and wait.  First boarding times are at 11:00am I believe… and NO ONE gets on board at that time…. They didn’t even start to allow folks into the staging building until maybe 11:45?… by this time, the line was maybe 500 people long.. most of us waiting outside in the sun.  By the time we boarded, the line was much longer.  My recommendation is arrive early…. Know you are going to wait, and just know you will have an hour or more to stand there….. nothing you can do about it….. unless you are a “Haven person”, then you can go right in.  One of the issues is getting to the pier….. this pier is near the Sheraton Hotel and the road leading to the drop off is WAY backed up.  We waited 45 minutes at the Sheraton for a taxi.. only to grab an Uber…. Drive 200 yards, sit in traffic for 30 minutes and got out and walked the mile to the pier….

Is there a sidewalk on that road to the pier? I was looking at Google maps and it looks like just a 2 lane road.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ohio boomer said:

I will personally attempt to sample each beer…… just for you…. And report back.  

Does this board have the best people or what? That’s going above and beyond for your fellow man. I’m sure your sacrifice will be appreciated.  

• Like 2

JesseB and others…. If you are a Haven person…. Walk to the front of the embarcation line…. And to the right…. There is a small sign that has a separate line for you…. You drop your bags…. Then go inside to wait….. and take care of your papers.  You still may not be let onboard until they give the “all clear”…. But at least no wait in the miserable line.

ksss2013 - your are correct…. Never doubt Google maps…. The road to embarkation is a 2 lane road…. No sidewalks… and you drag your bag some ways on the “berm”…. Not ideal for sure…. But once you see the line…. We knew we’d made the right decision…

side note… booked the Delphi water sports catamaran snorkling in Aruba for $70 per person…. And was good…. All of these types of services are generally good but I booked through TripAdvisor and was easy as can be….2 snorkels… Atilla wreck and another site. Gave us some food and booze  and was a good 3 hour trip. 

just got off the NCL “culture and sites?” Tour of Bonair…. Something to do as we’re only in port for about 6 hours and was not good…. Do something else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

Is there a sidewalk on that road to the pier?

I walked to the terminal two weeks ago (that was my plan all along). The part along the water doesn’t have a sidewalk. It didn’t seem dangerous because traffic was at a standstill most of the time. But it was awkward for people pulling suitcases (I had a backpack.) Lots of people were doing it in both directions; most of them looked unhappy. If anyone decides to walk, make sure you have mapped out which way to walk as there are no signs and you can’t just look at the ship and go in that direction.  

Edited by wcook

2 hours ago, Ohio boomer said:

JesseB and others…. If you are a Haven person…. Walk to the front of the embarcation line…. And to the right…. There is a small sign that has a separate line for you…. You drop your bags…. Then go inside to wait….. and take care of your papers.  You still may not be let onboard until they give the “all clear”…. But at least no wait in the miserable line.

ksss2013 - your are correct…. Never doubt Google maps…. The road to embarkation is a 2 lane road…. No sidewalks… and you drag your bag some ways on the “berm”…. Not ideal for sure…. But once you see the line…. We knew we’d made the right decision…

side note… booked the Delphi water sports catamaran snorkling in Aruba for $70 per person…. And was good…. All of these types of services are generally good but I booked through TripAdvisor and was easy as can be….2 snorkels… Atilla wreck and another site. Gave us some food and booze  and was a good 3 hour trip. 

just got off the NCL “culture and sites?” Tour of Bonair…. Something to do as we’re only in port for about 6 hours and was not good…. Do something else. 

Bonaire is the prime snorkelling spot on that itinerary, I did the double dip excursion to kleine Bonaire  and a diver on my sailing told me he had done some snorkelling right beside the port which he said was excellent. The water certainly looked crystal clear from the ship but I didn’t have time to investigate after my excursion  as I wanted to dry off and change before going looking for souvenirs.

There was next to nothing by way of retail outlets by the pier when I was there in March, one souvenir shop and a diamonds international outlet.  

2 hours ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

I would not suggest walking from the Sheraton to the pier, even though you can see the ship.  There are no sidewalks and the bellhops outside the hotel will discourage you from walking.  Cabs are readily available and it might cost $10.00.  Well worth it.

The issue is the traffic. People talking about waiting in traffic for over 45 mins to go 1-2 miles to the port for both of the cruises leaving this year so far.

We were able to adjust our flight to get in the day before and plan on getting to the port around 8:45am as we have the 9am boarding time. That should hopefully help us avoid the massive backup (maybe).

33 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

The issue is the traffic. People talking about waiting in traffic for over 45 mins to go 1-2 miles to the port for both of the cruises leaving this year so far.

We were able to adjust our flight to get in the day before and plan on getting to the port around 8:45am as we have the 9am boarding time. That should hopefully help us avoid the massive backup (maybe).

You have a 9am checkin time not boarding time. Boarding won’t start till at least 1130

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ohio boomer said:

Speaking of personally sampling each beer--don't forget to check out each of the islands' individual offerings. We were on this (very similar) itinerary on Epic a little over a year ago, and I made the audacious claim that Curacao's offerings were the best. (I think Carib may have climbed in the standings a bit because I was still under the influence of several of them when I made the list.) 😅

Every island has its own signature brewery--My ratings:

1) Montana Black Beer, Curacao

2) Carib lager, St. Kitts

3) Montana Blonde, Curacao

4) Piton pilsner, St. Lucia

5) Balashi pilsner, Aruba

Don't agree? Conduct your own tasting!

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_9391.JPG

• Like 2