A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

26 minutes ago, JSR said:

@mystydo you have a link for the hooks you’re purchasing? 

are you using the shoe holder for shoes or for bathroom organizing?

Thanks

I have the link for the hooks.  Are you in the US?  I can give you the US link.  Hang tight! 😁

The shoe holder will be for shoes.  I use the foldable fabric boxes for items in the bathroom.   You could easily use the shoe holder for bathroom organization though!

31 minutes ago, JSR said:

@mystydo you have a link for the hooks you’re purchasing? 

are you using the shoe holder for shoes or for bathroom organizing?

Thanks

I bought some at Home Depot, after Mysty suggested getting some.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mysty said:

I have the link for the hooks.  Are you in the US?  I can give you the US link.  Hang tight! 😁

The shoe holder will be for shoes.  I use the foldable fabric boxes for items in the bathroom.   You could easily use the shoe holder for bathroom organization though!

Yes I am in the US. 

• Like 1

Here is a link to an interview of Barbara Muckermann by CNN's Richard Quest to discuss the state of the industry post pandemic, travel trends around the world, Silversea's commitment to sustainable cruising, and what differentiates Silversea from other cruise and travel companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TOEqWrKVnI&t=5s

I think the part where Ms. Muckermann talks about renting an island and the dinner at Ha Long Bay were 2 of the 2023 World Cruise Events.

I used hooks on our WC this year and found that the worked fine for lighter items like a hat or an empty tote bag.  For this cruise, I saw a recommendation for stronger hooks.  Link is below.  No matter what weight hook you go with, if you put  hooks on the ceiling, they hold more weight.  I found the 22 lb hooks I used easily slid down the wall if I put anything more than a hat or bag on them. 

Here is the link for the 100 lb hooks on Amazon (US):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088FC7FRL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another useful tip is that I use is to put all undergarments and socks into wash bags.  This keeps us from losing the odd sock or forgetting any small loose items in the laundry.  I know we get complimentary laundry but sometimes I like to do a few things myself.  In those instances, these have proven very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PE1JJJI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, profpeabody said:

I used hooks on our WC this year and found that the worked fine for lighter items like a hat or an empty tote bag.  For this cruise, I saw a recommendation for stronger hooks.  Link is below.  No matter what weight hook you go with, if you put  hooks on the ceiling, they hold more weight.  I found the 22 lb hooks I used easily slid down the wall if I put anything more than a hat or bag on them. 

Here is the link for the 100 lb hooks on Amazon (US):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088FC7FRL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another useful tip is that I use is to put all undergarments and socks into wash bags.  This keeps us from losing the odd sock or forgetting any small loose items in the laundry.  I know we get complimentary laundry but sometimes I like to do a few things myself.  In those instances, these have proven very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PE1JJJI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thank you Prof!  Very helpful suggestions! 

3 hours ago, profpeabody said:

For this cruise, I saw a recommendation for stronger hooks.  Link is below.  …if you put  hooks on the ceiling, they hold more weight.

I agree with Mysty, ProfPeabody.

How did you get the hooks on the ceiling?  I could probably bring another suitcase full of formal wear garments if I can figure out how to reach the ceiling!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, profpeabody said:

5 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I agree with Mysty, ProfPeabody.

How did you get the hooks on the ceiling?  I could probably bring another suitcase full of formal wear garments if I can figure out how to reach the ceiling!

My question too Stumble!   Reaching the ceiling would be a stretch.  Pun intended! 😁

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

I bring one or two over the door shoe caddies and they are wonderful for storing easy to reach items. Has anyone received a quote for the other over land (not China) trips?

I think there was something posted in the Roll Call for this cruise.  Maybe check there.  We haven't received anything from Silversea yet (except for the Tibet).

Canadians applying for a Visa for China are directed to the following website and choose Canada.  Make sure that you choose the appropriate CVASC (Chinese Visa Application Service Center).  The options are Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Montreal.

https://www.visaforchina.cn/globle/

I had mentioned that the application was to be submitted no earlier than 3 months prior to the date of travel.  The website above offers the option to get help by E-Mail. 

Capture.JPG.edb3b5e6e57a2bb9149c67e086d143d3.JPG

I sent them an email explaining our situation in regards to the difficulty with applying no earlier than 3 months ahead.  They replied saying that there are various Tourist Visas available and that the most common is for a single entry 3 month Visa.  Hence the requirement to apply no earlier than 3 months prior.

Here is the link to the China Visa Entries/Validity/Duration of Stay......

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/entry.htm

The CVASC website is very helpful.  It explains the process quite clearly.  The application is submitted online.  Once submitted it needs to be printed and signed.  Once submitted you are requested to make an appointment. An appointment is required as part of the process.  Fingerprints and a photo are taken.

Here is the link for the Step by Step Guide.....

https://www.visaforchina.cn/#/guideNav/Guidance?visacenterCode=YTO2&request_locale=en_US&site_alias=YTO2_EN

Fees are paid by Debit Card only.

7 hours ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

I bring one or two over the door shoe caddies and they are wonderful for storing easy to reach items. Has anyone received a quote for the other over land (not China) trips?

Have you seen a list of the available over land options?  The only one I've seen is the Tibet option.

"Travelling the world isn’t just a treat for the eyes but make it a treat for the taste buds by sampling authentic traditional dishes."  This is one of the delights of travel for Myster and me.  I'm going to explore the options by port starting with Apia, Samoa.

Traditional Samoan food is made from staple ingredients such as taro, banana, breadfruit, coconut, fish and more creatively combined for a multitude of tastes and experiences.  The best place to try traditional Samoan food is at fiafia nights or Sunday to’onai with an umu buffet giving you the opportunity to taste a bit of everything. Nevertheless, many restaurants and markets also feature Samoan staples on their menus. 

Umu is a traditional Samoan cooking method where food is slow-cooked in a hot-rock oven and covered with banana leaves.

1. Palusami - An iconic Samoan food, palusami is taro leaves cooked in coconut cream to make a rich and creamy dish. It’s traditionally cooked in a hot-rock oven called an umu. 

2. Oka - A staple of Samoa and many other Pacific nations, oka is raw fish marinated in coconut cream with a few other spices or chillis for extra flavour. 

Capture.JPG.89346b1850011dd51cd3267084f161e1.JPG

3. Koko Alaisa - The perfect comfort food, koko alaisa or koko rice is simply boiled rice, koko (Samoan cocoa) and coconut milk! Although it makes a nice dessert, most travellers will try koko rice for breakfast at resorts and beach fales.

4. Supo Esi - Another tropical yet hearty breakfast food, supo esi (or papaya soup) is the Samoan answer to porridge but tastier! The dish is made sweet with coconut milk, papaya and sometimes coconut flakes.

5. Keke Saiga - One of the most widely distributed and easiest Samoan snacks to find in Samoa, keke saiga, also known as Chinese biscuits, are hard biscuits made out of two different doughs to make their iconic star/flower shape. Often sold in bags of 5 to 10.

6. Sapasui - The Samoan version of chop suey, sapasui has been a favourite dish since the influx of Chinese migrants under Germany’s rule in Samoa. There are many variations of this dish, usually made with pork (pua’a) or chicken (moa), taro leaves and carrots with a vermicelli noodle base and served with rice or taro (talo) on the side.

7. Palolo - The turquoise or reddish tails of the reef worm released to the ocean’s surface on the waning moon of October or November (or sometimes both) are a delicacy in Samoa. Palolo has a strong salty seafood taste, reminiscent of oysters, mussels, seaweed and caviar all condensed into a stringy noodle-like form.

8. Banana and Taro Chips - Swap potato chips for the island flavours of banana or taro chips while visiting Samoa. Banana chips have a slightly sweeter taste, while taro is usually plainer. But both are coated in salt and have the satisfying crunch.

9. Panikeke - These deep-fried dough balls are a favourite among the islanders! Instead of flat pancakes, panikeke or Samoan pancakes are made into balls, reminiscent of a tasty doughnut.

10. Keke Pua’a - A favourite Samoan snack with perhaps some Chinese influence, Samoan pork buns or keke pua’a are steamed buns with a flavoursome pork and soy sauce filling.

This information was taken from https://samoapocketguide.com/traditional-samoan-food-foods-to-try-in-samoa/ .  The website also provides suggestions as to where to find the various dishes described and offers another 10 options.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 10:56 PM, HappyLadyTravels said:

@HappyLadyTravels , does the shoe rack work over the suite closet door?  Thank you!

Hi Mysty, I use TWO over the door shoe caddies.  Best to use a skinny one on the outside of the shower door; and then I use another one on the bathtub rack, since I rarely use the bathtub. I have seen other cabins where the shoe caddy was used OUTSIDE the bathroom door successfully. The best use of space, for more than one person on Shadow/Whisper is to have the crew put a wood board on top of the bathtub.  Great shelf.  And then they have a clothes rack built on top of that area.  Since I am solo, no need for that much space.  But, I use the shoe caddies successfully to store daily items on one; future items on the other caddy (vitamins, contacts, all kinds of stuff that I will eventually need!).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hi Mysty, I use TWO over the door shoe caddies.  Best to use a skinny one on the outside of the shower door; and then I use another one on the bathtub rack, since I rarely use the bathtub. I have seen other cabins where the shoe caddy was used OUTSIDE the bathroom door successfully. The best use of space, for more than one person on Shadow/Whisper is to have the crew put a wood board on top of the bathtub.  Great shelf.  And then they have a clothes rack built on top of that area.  Since I am solo, no need for that much space.  But, I use the shoe caddies successfully to store daily items on one; future items on the other caddy (vitamins, contacts, all kinds of stuff that I will eventually need!).

Brilliant @HappyLadyTravels !  I had heard about the board over the tub and clothes rack but I didn't know how that worked.   Thank you!

Now we move on to popular foods to try in Fiji.

1. Curry Vakalolo (with Coconut Cream) Mud Crabs - This delicacy, although not uniquely Fijian as varieties are cooked throughout the South East Asia and Pacific regions, comes in at number one due to its overall popularity in Fiji.  After washing, large mud crabs are deshelled keeping all the internal parts intact, and the pincers, claws, and lower shell are cracked prior to cooking. Curry spices are heated in a large pot, the crab pieces are added, and a curry mixture is stirred in infusing it all. Coconut cream is added and mixed in thoroughly before the shells are finally added, the lid put on and the whole thing left to simmer for 40 minutes until coconut cream boils over the crab shells.

This dish is best served on steamed rice to soak up all the delicious juices from the crab.

2. Purini (Pudding) - This is a local version of the traditional English steamed pudding; the main difference being that the Fijian version uses thick coconut milk instead of dairy milk and typically is a bit heavier in terms of texture and consistency. The rich taste of coconut may be enhanced by a smoky flavor as in most Fijian villages purini is usually steamed over a wood fire for several hours.

3. Kokoda (Raw Fish) - More similar to the Peruvian Ceviche than the Hawaiian Poke, this Fijian delicacy is found in many high-end restaurants and hotels as an entrée or even main course. Kokoda is made from deep sea fish with firm flesh, usually walu or marlin. The fish is cleaned, filleted, and cut into 1-inch cubes, which are marinated in a bowl of lemon for at least 2-hours or preferably overnight in a cooler.  The fish cubes are then rinsed well and placed in a colander to dry and then placed in a large bowl with finely chopped onions, tomatoes, chilies (to taste), and coriander. Fresh coconut milk is then poured over this mixture until it is fully submerged. This is placed in the fridge and brought out just before serving. It is absolutely delicious; there’s no fishy smell or taste to it, only a fragrant hint of lemon.

Capture.JPG.c036928905fd81983285f9b11f94151d.JPG

4. Lovo Food - Very popular for feasts, a lovo is a traditional Fijian method of cooking using an underground (or buried) oven with hot stones. Typical food cooked in a lovo are root vegetables – whole taro or cassava; meat– marinated pork, whole chicken, and even fish; and palusami (taro leaves wrapped in a parcel with coconut cream, onions and optionally meat). The food is prepared beforehand and wrapped in foil prior to placing on the hot stones in the lovo pit. It is then covered with coconut leaves and old sacks, and buried for 2-3 hours.

5. Fresh Goat Curry - Freshly slaughtered goat is a delicacy and fairly pricey when served in high-end restaurants. This gamey meat, like lamb or mutton, is an acquired taste but with the spiciness of the curry ingredients and skilled slow cooking produces a mouthwatering spicy meat curry with all the flavors and umami.  It is usually served on plain steamed rice to soak up all that flavorsome juice and curry spices. Other condiments include chutney, raita (yogurt), and tamarind sauce. 

6. Vakalolo - This popular sweet can be eaten as a dessert or on its own. The different provinces have their own unique recipes although the main ingredients are usually taro or cassava with cassava starch, rich coconut cream, and brown sugar. The root crop is peeled and pounded until of soft consistency and then the other ingredients are mixed in.  Depending on the region’s recipe, the mixture is wrapped whole or in dumpling size pieces in banana leaves and baked in the oven or lovo, boiled or steamed like a pudding. A sweet sauce of coconut cream and brown sugar is prepared. This is poured over the sweet dumplings and it soaks through to create a beautiful blend of soft luscious dumpling.

7. Mangoes in Season - Very popular with locals and tourists alike, when in season there are literally boxes of ripe mangoes of all varieties, colors, shapes, and sizes with one common denominator – their delicious fleshy sweetness. Fiji is blessed with mango trees of all different species and mango season is usually between November and December, the hot, sunny holiday months.

8. Fresh Duck Curry - In Fiji, this Indian delicacy has become a firm favorite and is a welcome addition to any feast or event. “Fresh” refers to the freshly butchered meat, not frozen, and many Indo-Fijian households prepare this for special occasions, even purchasing the specially bred ducks from farms prior to the event.

9. Kai Vakalolo (Mussels in Coconut Milk) - Kai (freshwater mussels) are plentiful in the many Fijian rivers and used in many different ways – plain soup, curried, or fried. But this dish is popular at events due to its delicious taste and impressive presentation. The kai is boiled, cooled, and then chopped up and mixed with finely chopped onions, tomatoes, chilies, and coriander.  This mixture is then spooned into the kai half-shells, placed in a pot, and submerged in fresh coconut milk. The whole thing is brought to the boil and simmered for about 30 minutes or until the coconut cream boils over.

10. Vakasikera (Shredded Cabbage with Fish in Coconut Milk) - This popular dish from the Lau province (with Tongan influence) is a favorite at many events or just as a simple home-cooked meal. It is made from shredded bitter mustard cabbage soaked in salted water for 2-3 hours. It is then squeeze dried and placed in a large bowl with chopped onions, tomatoes, and chili peppers. Crispy fried fish is crumbled on top and it is all mixed up with fresh coconut milk.

The information presented here comes from https://www.chefspencil.com/most-popular-foods-in-fiji/ .  The site offers photos and an additional 10 dish options and descriptions.

Let's move on to food to try in New Zealand.  The information and photo here come from https://www.twowanderingsoles.com/blog/new-zealand-food .  The site offers 22 suggestions in total.

The web page starts with:

"Pulling from both British and South Pacific influences, New Zealand cuisine is interesting and relies heavily on locally-sourced ingredients. From Māori Hāngi to the country’s famed seafood, we’ve rounded up the best New Zealand foods to try (and skip!).

New Zealand cuisine draws influence from indigenous Māori and Polynesian roots. There are also several dishes you’ll recognize as versions of British staples. 

In New Zealand, there is also a strong focus on locally-sourced farm-to-table food. For this reason, you’ll see many restaurants that have a heavy focus on seafood, as well as lamb. We were truly impressed with the level of quality of most restaurants we dined at in New Zealand. "

1. Māori Hāngi - Hāngi is a quintessential style of cooking perfected by the techniques of the Māori people. 

Hāngi is not necessarily a singular dish. Instead, any combination of ingredients cooked Hāngi-style is both a delicious meal and an amazing cultural experience.

It involves slow-cooking ingredients in a pit or underground oven known as an “umu”, lined with hot stones and fire. 

Usually, you’ll find a variety of meat and vegetables wrapped in flax leaves: chicken, pork, sheep, seafood, as well as pumpkin, taro, sweet potato (kumara), cabbage, squash, and yams (oca). 

2. Golden kiwi - Given that “Kiwi” is the slang term for New Zealand locals, it only makes sense to sample their special golden kiwifruit. These are both as the country’s main export and as a staple topping for their beloved dessert, pavlova.

You can enjoy the green varieties as well, but the golden kiwifruits are milder and sweeter. They are also less fuzzy with fewer seeds on the inside.

You can buy golden kiwifruits in grocery stores year round. They are often sold in bundles with a special kiwifruit spoon (a spoon with a knife as a handle so you eat the fruit on-the-go).

3. Fish ‘n chips - Fish ‘n chips is widely recognized as a staple dish in Great Britain and the United Kingdom. So it’s no surprise Kiwis have adopted the staple and put their own spin on it.

The basic concept is the same: battered and fried white fish with thick-cut chips, or fries. 

In New Zealand cuisine, you have a variety of different fish options. The tarakihi snapper and hoki are some of the most common. If your local spot has kahawai, trevally, or blue mackerel, definitely give those a try!

The fish ‘n chips come wrapped in paper with a side of tomato sauce. (Bonus points if the paper is piping hot and has subtle fresh grease stains.) We recommend enjoying the Kiwi way: beachside, or anywhere on a hot summer evening.

4. Sauvignon Blanc - Aside from their legendary seafood (which pairs perfectly with Sauvignon Blanc), New Zealand is famous for their wine.

You can taste and buy wine all around the country, but it’s best sipped at the actual wineries.

The 10 different wine regions across New Zealand are dotted with award-winning wineries. Your options are seemingly endless no matter where you are. 

Every winery in New Zealand has unique settings, menus, and specialties. Rather than settle for just one tasting, you can opt for a New Zealand wine tour for a fun, boozy day trip!

5. Mānuka honey - Mānuka honey is recognized internationally for its otherworldly medicinal properties. Most people don’t know that it’s harvested using the nectar of the Mānuka tree, which is endemic to New Zealand. 

This tree is what gives the honey its unique benefits and flavor profile. It has a strong, aromatic and earthy flavor compared to regular honey, and is sometimes described as slightly more bitter.

It’s said that the purer the component of mānuka is, the more beneficial (and expensive) it is. 

6. Fresh seafood - Fresh seafood from these waters has a rich and delicious flavor that can’t be replicated anywhere else in the world. You’ll definitely want to add it to your list of New Zealand foods to try!

Must-try seafood options
Crayfish: A prized catch of local fisherman and divers, these are worth the splurge if you get the opportunity!
Kina: The fleshy insides of local sea urchin have been a Kiwi delicacy for centuries. 
Scallops: New Zealand’s mineral-rich waters make for especially good scallops.
Pāua: The delicious dark green meat of these large sea snails

7. Salmon - The world-renowned “King” salmon is the only fish farmed in New Zealand. It’s known for its exceptional quality and taste.

Fun fact: Only 0.7% of the world’s salmon is of the King variety and New Zealand supplies over 50% of it!

Kiwis sustainably farm the king salmon from egg to plate. It has the highest omega-3 levels per serving and is one of the highest-quality forms of protein in the world.

They thrive in the cold waters of Mt Cook (Aoraki), Wānaka and Akaroa, and are enjoyed raw, smoked, or grilled!

Good to know: If you’re perusing a menu and happen to notice a special breed offered called Ōra King, this is worth the splurge to taste! It’s the highest known quality and is compared to what wagyu is to beef!

8. Kiwi burger - New Zealand took the basic burger up a notch by smashing a 4oz beef patty with all the fixings, plus a fried egg, beetroot between two toasted buns. 

While not exactly recognized as a national dish, you can find a ‘Kiwi burger’ at most pubs and restaurants around the country. They are even sold at McDonalds!

9. Green-lipped mussels - The green-lipped mussel, “green-shelled mussels”, or “kuku” in Māori, are one of the largest mussel species in the world. They are known for the bright green color that lines the edges of their shells.

While they’re considered a delicacy around the world, they’re abundant and cheap in New Zealand. A must-try if you’re a seafood lover!

You can find them on menus all around the country. However they are freshest in Havelock (considered the “Greenshell Mussel Capital”) on the South Island. And in the waters around Auckland on the North Island.

Capture.JPG.1c6b7a071288344fd630ce372dd38f65.JPG

10. Lamb - One of our favorite fun facts about New Zealand is that Kiwis are drastically outnumbered by sheep — we’re talking 6-to-1. So it’s fitting that New Zealand has worldwide praise for its lamb.

It’s most commonly served roasted with vegetables and potatoes. Lamb is also the star of many New Zealand foods, including the country’s most delicate dishes.

Most high-end restaurants will feature lamb on the menu. However, you can try it in plenty of local restaurants if you’re traveling on a budget.

• Like 1

Now mysty you have fallen for the NZ spin. The"manuka" tree is also endemic to Australia and much more prolific here.

https://melukaaustralia.com.au/blogs/news/meluka-honey-vs-manuka-honey-what-is-the-difference?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz9GVn8mpgAMVIP5MAh0fDQO0EAAYAyAAEgJ8fPD_BwE

The kiwifruit is the Chinese gooseberry originally.

Sauvignon blanc is grown around the world and better in Cold climates. not only the South Island of NZ but Australia's south island Tasmania. having worked i Tasmania for about 7 years all up I rate their sauvignon blanc as better. French wineries have invested there such as Domaine chandon and Mumm.

Though the locals have upset the french not so long ago.

https://www.skynews.com.au/lifestyle/tasmanian-bubbles-claims-historic-scalp-as-it-defeats-toptier-french-rivals-to-claim-award-at-champagne-and-sparkling-wine-world-championships/news-story/093ff2bd13e8c5a2f764ee3f67bddec4

We also have more crayfish, salmon and lamb than the kiwis. Their green lipped mussels are IMHO inferior to the common black mussels.

The Kiwi burger also originated in Australia.

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/news/food-and-culture/australian-burger-ingredients-17102

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1