A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

mysty was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I'm dreaming again.  This dream is full of leaky pipes.   However,  if the travel gods and goddesses smile, Myster and I would embark on another grand adventure.   We are booked on a Holiday Season cruise on the Silver Shadow departing December 18th 2023 from Bridgetown and ending in San Francisco on January 15th 2024.  But wait!  We would then continue on for the 2024 World Cruise departing from San Francisco on January 15th 2024 and ending in San Francisco on May 26th 2024.  This would be 160 days of joyous adventure. 

Today marks 352 days and counting before we would board what would be the first leg of this journey of wonder.  So, why post now?  The 2023 World Cruise has not even sailed yet.  Isn't this just a little too early to be talking about it?  Actually...no!  Part of the enjoyment is anticipation.  We booked the 2024 World Cruise in  August of 2021 and then added the 2023 Holiday Season cruise booking in January of 2022.  I have been researching and planning for 16 months.  This has been my source of joy through much of the world upheaval.  This dream is how I want to begin the bright and sparkling new year.

This is also a warm invitation to fellow adventurers on this itinerary (who may also be dreaming) to chime in with their 2 cents ($5.00 with current inflation 😁). Once the ship sails my posts here will relate to the Silver Shadow experience, the ports, the excursions, the food and the camaraderie. Snippets of the personal hijinks of Myster and Mysty will be posted in the Cooler.... my usual stomping ground. In the meantime folks are welcome to post comments and/or questions about the planned adventure.  Once the fun begins our fellow passengers are welcome to post their experiences.  Consider it a group blog. This is not intended to be my personal thread.  This is not the "Mysty" show.  I'm simply lighting the spark.

C'mon along!

silversea-cruise-ship-silver-shadow_1.jpg.3ea8a9ef87311ab78c74e6676c83dd60.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I am not on your cruise (unfortunately 😔); however, I agree anticipation is definitely a huge part of the joy of travel.  Planning trips has kept me sane in the last 18 months.  I look forward to posts from your magnificent journey. 😀

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I am not on your cruise (unfortunately 😔); however, I want to say anticipation is definitely a huge part of the joy of travel.  Planning trips has kept me sane in the last 18 months.  I look forward to posts from your magnificent journey. 😀

Thank you mchell! I'm looking forward to having you along for the virtual ride!   😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

How you do SPARKLE Mysty!

So looking forward to the glittery tales and iridescent trails!

Thank you dear lady!  It will be a pleasure to have you as company for this much hoped-for adventure! 🥰

10 hours ago, mysty said:

We are booked on a Holiday Season cruise on the Silver Shadow departing December 18th 2023 from Bridgetown and ending in San Francisco on January 15th 2024.

Will you be able to bring along your cute Canadian Christmas tree and ornaments with you?

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Will you be able to bring along your cute Canadian Christmas tree and ornaments with you?

Not sure what the TSA folks would think of this idea Stumble!  It would be awesome if I could! 😁

• Like 1

I am so looking forward to reading more about this, Mysty.  I have been on Shadow - though quite a while ago - so will be able to visualise the ship easily, though I think one or two areas have been tweaked recently.  To my mind she is just the right size for a long cruise;  about 400 fellow passengers being just the right number.  Not to be swamped, but enough to find some new compatible companions.

A lovely long time to do your research and make plans, and an exciting itinerary.

Lola

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I am so looking forward to reading more about this, Mysty.  I have been on Shadow - though quite a while ago - so will be able to visualise the ship easily, though I think one or two areas have been tweaked recently.  To my mind she is just the right size for a long cruise;  about 400 fellow passengers being just the right number.  Not to be swamped, but enough to find some new compatible companions.

A lovely long time to do your research and make plans, and an exciting itinerary.

Lola

Thanks Lola!  Since the Shadow was tweaked one of the issues might be the closet.  She used to have the same configuration as the Lady Whisper which was a section that had two hanging bar levels (one over the other) and a section for longer garments.  The tweak removed the lower bar of the section that had two bars.  This will certainly be a challenge for the length of cruise we would be on.

ftdc_silvershadow_alaska-0028.jpg.5001f668a7c3a8a7bef454138215f203.jpg

I do love challenges though!  😅

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a retrograde step,  Mysty.  I think more women wear separates than dresses nowadays.  I do remember however on most lines the longer space was never long enough for my long dresses (but then I am/was 5'  8").

Lola

• Like 1

Just now, lincslady said:

That looks like a retrograde step,  Mysty.  I think more women wear separates than dresses nowadays.  I do remember however on most lines the longer space was never long enough for my long dresses (but then I am/was 5'  8").

Lola

WOW Lola....you're a tall drink of water.   I think I stand at about 5' 2" these days.   I would look up to you  (in more ways than one). 😁

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My nickname as a 12 year old  (by my short friend's catty mother) was  'skinny malinka longlegs with big banana feet'.  I never complained, a bit of a drip in those days.

Lola

You are the epitome of graciousness Lola! 🥰

9 hours ago, lincslady said:

My nickname as a 12 year old  (by my short friend's catty mother) was  'skinny malinka longlegs with big banana feet'.  I never complained, a bit of a drip in those days.

Lola

Reminds me of a song/nursery rhyme popular in Belfast when I was a little 'un:

(To be recited in one's best Shankill accent) 

Skinny malink melodian legs, 

Big banana feet, 

Went to the pictures, 

And couldn't get a seat

When he got a seat, 

He fell fast asleep, 

Skinny malink melodian legs, 

Big banana feet. 

Doesn't make any more sense 60 years later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, mysty said:

Thanks Lola!  Since the Shadow was tweaked one of the issues might be the closet.  She used to have the same configuration as the Lady Whisper which was a section that had two hanging bar levels (one over the other) and a section for longer garments.  The tweak removed the lower bar of the section that had two bars.  This will certainly be a challenge for the length of cruise we would be on.

I do love challenges though!  😅

This is the first detail I have read about the Shadow 'upgrade' being a downgrade from Whisper.  Since we will be on Whisper for our first SilverSea cruise in late January 2024, I will be interested in any other comparisons you have between the two 'half-sisters.'  😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Thanks for that, TTS.  I had always assumed she had made it up!  And they were a Welsh family, no connection with Northern Ireland at all.  Mysterious.

Lola

Ah. The Celtic Brotherhood working in mysterious ways again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As I mentioned, I have already done some research for this adventure.  One of the bits of info I use to help me determine the appropriate clothing is the average temperature for the various ports for the month in which we would visit.  Our journey would be made up of nine segments...2 segments in the Holiday Season cruise and 7 segments in the World Cruise.  Temps will vary from warm/hot in the beginning to down right chilly toward the end.  For those interested...here are the fruits of my research by segment.

Bridgetown to Fort Lauderdale
Silver Shadow - 9 Days
December 18, 2023 Voyage SS231218009        Avg Temp        Rain Days
18 Bridgetown, Barbados *                                          78                     13                
19 Bequia, St Vincent and Grenadines *                    76                     16            
20 Fort-de-France, Martinique    *                               77                     23            
21 St. Kitts (Basseterre), St Kitts and Nevis *           77                    16        
22 Gustavia, St. Barthelemy, French West Indies *  79                      ...
23 St John, United States Virgin Islands    *              77                    16        
24 San Juan, Puerto Rico *                                          77                    17            
27 Fort Lauderdale, USA                                              67                      5    

* - indicates a new port for us

... - indicates the data were not available

Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco (California)
Silver Shadow - 19 Days
December 27, 2023 Voyage SS231227019             Avg Temp        Rain Days         
30 Cartagena, Colombia *                                               80                    ...                
4 Puntarenas, Costa Rica *                                             84                    ...            
8 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico *                                             72                    ...            
9 Cabo San Lucas (Bahia California Sur), Mexico*    78                    0.4    
12 Los Angeles, USA                                                        66                     6
14 San Francisco (California), USA                                54                    11    

• Like 1

World Cruise Begins.....

San Francisco (California) to Lautoka
Silver Shadow - 21 Days
January 15, 2024 Voyage SS240115020                    Avg Temp        Rain Days         
21 Honolulu, USA                                                                 73                      7                
23 Nawiliwili, USA  *                                                             77                      7                
24 Kailua Kona, USA                                                            67                     5                
29 Christmas Island, Kiribati    *                                        78                    ...            
2 Apia, Samoa Islands *                                                     80                      4                
4 Savusavu (Vanua Levu), Fiji     *                                    80                    16            
5 Lautoka, Fiji *                                                                   90                      ...