A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

Moving along we come to St John, United States Virgin Islands.  The information presented here comes by way of https://thehillsstjohn.com/traditional-dishes-of-the-usvi/  - Traditional Dishes of the USVI.

"The Virgin Islands boast a whirlwind of picturesque beach landscapes and fun and exciting things to do. Meanwhile, if you find yourself famished after your activities, be sure to step out and try some dishes that infuse local culture and regional influences in the most delicious of ways. Virgin Islands food perhaps isn't widely known throughout the rest of the world, but the islands boast a rich and delicious culinary tradition. The following guide introduces you to traditional dishes of the USVI that are sure to whet your appetite."

Fish & Fungi

Fish & Fungi is the national dish and a main staple of the islands. It is the epitome of Virgin Islands fare, and its creation dates back to Danish rule when salt herring and cornmeal were commonly used as a foundation for other dishes. Fungi (pronounced foon-gee) is a tender, polenta-like dumpling prepared from salted cornmeal mixed with shortening and water. Scoops of Fungi are usually served with generous portions of fish fillets or meat.
Fish-Fungi-Junies.jpg.4faa4adb60afc198ed22a21b35073432.jpg

Johnny Cake

Delicious and simple, Johnny cakes are as popular in the Caribbean as French fries are in the United States. Originating in West Indian culture, these versatile treats can be enjoyed as a snack or included with breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Ubiquitous in the homes and restaurants of the Virgin Islands, these well-loved flour based and deep fried treats often accompany traditional cuisines such as buljol, souse, BBQ chicken, pot fish, curried dishes, and a number of other island favorites.

Cow Heel Soup

Cow Heel Soup, sometimes called cow foot soup, is a hearty soup that uses – you guessed it – the heel from a cow. African-influenced and considered a comfort food, it usually features yummy, filling vegetables such as okra, potatoes and carrots. Cow heel soup is also flavored with herbs, spices, flour dumplings, and the main event – tender and gelatinous cow heel marbled with pieces of beef. It’s the chicken soup variation of the Caribbean!

Callaloo

Callaloo is a renowned Caribbean soup or stew that that has West African roots. It has a base derived from chicken broth deliciously littered with leaves from the dasheen plant or some other healthy green such as spinach. Cooks often stir in meat, okra, hot and black peppers and thyme to make Callalo flavorful. Upon slurping it, you will find that its taste is slightly reminiscent of New Orleans gumbo. Callaloo is often served over a ball of fungi, and it is sometimes paired with boiled plantains or salt fish.

Conch Fritters

Although Fish & Fungi is considered the national dish of the Virgin Islands, one flavorful sea snail is widely embraced, too. That would be the conch, and it appears on the menu of nearly every restaurant that serves local cuisine. Fishermen harvest fresh conch (pronounced conk), and people consider conch fritters, which are battered and fried conch balls, an island favorite. This finger food is usually served up and enjoyed with a spicy and creamy, ketchup-based sauce or creole remoulade.

Pates

Another popular food that is snacked on besides conch is pates. Similar to Spanish empanadas, pates (pronounced pah tays) are light fare and one of the most common foods consumed in the USVI. Visitors and locals alike enjoy these deep-fried pastries with their crispy, crunchy, doughy goodness. Pates come stuffed with ingredients such as different types of meats, conch or whelk, salt fish, scotch bonnet peppers and vegetables and spices.

Rotis

Rotis are burrito-like, flaky flatbread wraps that are somewhat similar to pates. Rotis originated in India and has held on to that part of the world’s flair for spicy, fragrant curry sauces. Curried meats, seafood, or chickpeas and veggies plump up a roti’s flaky dough, while chili-laden chutney spices things up a bit. However, local wisdom is that if you visit a roti shop that doesn’t offer “doubles,” you should head to the door. You can find delicious Rotis with varying levels of heat in restaurants scattered across the blue water islands.

Pot Fish

The USVI offers an array of one-of-a-kind experiences for your taste buds. Still, no food group is as traditional in the islands as seafood. One popular dish of the sea that is a must-have is tasty Pot Fish. Much like how lobsters are caught in traps, pot fish are reef fish that are caught in pots. Popular reef dwellers that find their way to plates include red snapper, yellowtail, doctorfish tang, butterfish, triggerfish, blue runners and more. They are served in a variety of ways, which often includes leaving the fish head on the body. Pot Fish are often used when preparing Fish & Fungi, also.

Red Grout

No meals are complete without a dessert, and the Virgin Islands never disappoints when it comes to sweets. Insulin-revving sweets are typically made with homegrown tropical fruits and rum made at Cruzan distilleries. One stand out dessert is Red Grout, a signature treat that is traditionally served on Transfer Day, a holiday that commemorates the transfer of the Virgin Islands from Denmark to the U.S. Don’t let the odd name fool you, though, because Red Grout is a decadent confection that blends guava, tapioca and the sweetest of other ingredients.
redgrout-5693fcf75f9b58eba493d9ff.jpg.b8f3b7f293a74c874db72ab069a8ab4e.jpg

Other traditional USVI desserts include dum bread, coconut tarts, banana fritters, rum cake and fresh Danish ice cream made by using fresh fruit and cream that is churned into a sugary masterpiece.

• Like 2

As I've been exploring interesting foods to try on our grand adventure, I've come up with a thought.  I'm toying with the idea of asking a willing chef on our cruise to fashion a dish for us to try while we are sailing through the area.  Sort of a mini S.A.L.T. Kitchen.  Keeping in mind, of course, the availability of the ingredients.  For example, we could request the Martinique dish Colombo in the Caribbean part of our journey.  We could supply the recipe.

https://azmartinique.com/en/all-to-know/recipes/chicken-colombo

"Colombo is Martinique's flagship spice powder. It is a mixture of turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cloves, cumin, pepper, mustard seeds and garlic. If it is very close to curry, it remains less spicy.

Colombo owes its name to its land of origin, a region of present-day Sri Lanka which had been named Colombo in homage to Christopher Columbus. It was after Indian immigration that the colombo would have arrived in Martinique and that it would have been fully integrated into the local cuisine. Today, chicken colombo is one of the essential dishes of Martinique, the other islands of the French Antilles and Reunion Island."

Ingredients
For 6 servings:

6 chicken thighs
2 onions
1 clove of garlic
2 teaspoons of colombo powder
3 medium sized potatoes
2 medium carrots
Fresh parsley
Juice of one lemon
2 sheets of allspice
Salt
Pepper
1 chilli (optional)
1 tablespoon of white rum or old rum (optional)

Preparation
The day before, prepare your chicken for marinating in a container, preferably removing the skin of the chicken and the yellowish fat.
Pour in the lemon juice then add the diced onion, the spoon of rum, a teaspoon of colombo, the 2 leaves of allspice, the previously chopped garlic clove, salt and pepper.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
In a sauté pan, brown the chicken then set it aside.
Take advantage to brown the onions, the potatoes cut into small cubes and the carrots grated and sliced in the same pan.
Add the chicken, the 2nd spoonful of colombo and the chopped parsley.
Cover with water and simmer for a quarter of an hour, covering.
At the end of cooking, you can add the chili if you want to eat even more spicy.

What do you think? 😀

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mysty said:

As I've been exploring interesting foods to try on our grand adventure, I've come up with a thought.  I'm toying with the idea of asking a willing chef on our cruise to fashion a dish for us to try while we are sailing through the area.  Sort of a mini S.A.L.T. Kitchen.  Keeping in mind, of course, the availability of the ingredients.  For example, we could request the Martinique dish Colombo in the Caribbean part of our journey.  We could supply the recipe.

https://azmartinique.com/en/all-to-know/recipes/chicken-colombo

"Colombo is Martinique's flagship spice powder. It is a mixture of turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cloves, cumin, pepper, mustard seeds and garlic. If it is very close to curry, it remains less spicy.

Colombo owes its name to its land of origin, a region of present-day Sri Lanka which had been named Colombo in homage to Christopher Columbus. It was after Indian immigration that the colombo would have arrived in Martinique and that it would have been fully integrated into the local cuisine. Today, chicken colombo is one of the essential dishes of Martinique, the other islands of the French Antilles and Reunion Island."

Ingredients
For 6 servings:

6 chicken thighs
2 onions
1 clove of garlic
2 teaspoons of colombo powder
3 medium sized potatoes
2 medium carrots
Fresh parsley
Juice of one lemon
2 sheets of allspice
Salt
Pepper
1 chilli (optional)
1 tablespoon of white rum or old rum (optional)

Preparation
The day before, prepare your chicken for marinating in a container, preferably removing the skin of the chicken and the yellowish fat.
Pour in the lemon juice then add the diced onion, the spoon of rum, a teaspoon of colombo, the 2 leaves of allspice, the previously chopped garlic clove, salt and pepper.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
In a sauté pan, brown the chicken then set it aside.
Take advantage to brown the onions, the potatoes cut into small cubes and the carrots grated and sliced in the same pan.
Add the chicken, the 2nd spoonful of colombo and the chopped parsley.
Cover with water and simmer for a quarter of an hour, covering.
At the end of cooking, you can add the chili if you want to eat even more spicy.

What do you think? 😀

I don't know where to get colombo powder or sheets of allspice. Otherwise it sounds good.

• Like 1

To be clear,  I was wondering what folks thought about the idea of requesting a regional dish as we sailed, not the specific Colombo recipe.  😁  And of course,  I don't know what spices would be available to the chefs as we sail.  I just thought that a personalized S.A.L.T. would be fun. 😁

• Like 3

Certainly worth a try. The chefs are already able to cook different meals not on the menu with a day or 2 notice. An interesting idea.

Might try it out on our upcoming cruise. Maybe try for okonomiyaki when visitin Osaka.

• Like 3

Just now, drron29 said:

Certainly worth a try. The chefs are already able to cook different meals not on the menu with a day or 2 notice. An interesting idea.

Might try it out on our upcoming cruise. Maybe try for okonomiyaki when visitin Osaka.

Oh please report back @drron29 !  That would be so awesome! 😁

• Like 1

Next up on the food exploration is San Juan, Puerto Rico.  The information presented here comes by way of https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/article/guide-to-traditional-puerto-rican-food  -  Guide to Traditional Puerto Rican Food.

"Having the opportunity to enjoy authentic Puerto Rican food is a highlight of many visitors' experiences. The vibrancy of Puerto Rican culture comes alive in its dishes, a celebration of flavors that visitors have the opportunity to indulge in."

1. Mofongo
Mofongo is traditionally made from deep-fried green plantain pieces mashed with garlic and either salt-cured pork, pork crackling, butter, or oil. Some recipes use a salty broth to soften the plantains while mashing.
traditional-mofongo-recipe-2138186-hero-01-7e8ce26a92484373b9aa4253d6dd1d0d.jpg.13b33695d1b60c581ef55b6b1254cfd0.jpg

Mofongo can be served as a side dish or stuffed with any meat, such as stewed chicken, crab meat, octopus, skirt steak, fried pork, seafood, or stewed vegetables. Other variations of mofongo include yuca mofongo and trifongo, made with green plantain, sweet plantain, and yuca.

2. Tostones and amarillos
These are two traditional ways to prepare plantains. Tostones are made from green plantain, which is savory. The plantain is cut into thick wheels marinated in water and garlic, then deep-fried in oil to soften, smashed, and deep-fried again until crispy. Amarillos, on the other hand, are ripe plantains cut into pieces and fried until the outside is almost blackened, and the inside is soft and sweet.

3. Lechón asado
A Puerto Rican culinary legacy! To prepare this delicacy, first, a whole pig (lechón) is marinated in adobo (a mix of garlic, oregano, black pepper, vinegar, and water) and then slowly roasted over coals for several hours until the meat is juicy and the skin crispy. To sample some of the best lechón in Puerto Rico, plan a day trip to Guavate, where the road headed up the mountains of Cayey is lined with lechoneras (pork restaurants) serving locally sourced pork. Another specialty pork dish is pernil, or pork shoulder, seasoned with adobo, and roasted in the oven.

4. Arroz y habichuelas
Rice and beans are the quintessential Puerto Rican side dish. Pink beans are stewed with onions, peppers, garlic, ham hock, calabaza squash, and sofrito — a cooking base made by blending onion, garlic, peppers, culantro, cilantro, and oregano (as well as other herbs, spices, and aromatics depending on the family recipe).

White, medium-grain rice is cooked separately from the beans and seasoned with olive oil and salt. The two are served next to each other so you can choose how much beans to add to the rice.

5. Desserts
The best part of the meal! Traditional seasonal desserts include tembleque, a silky coconut custard; and arroz con dulce, rice pudding with cinnamon and raisins. Other traditional desserts include flan, a vanilla custard cake; and casquitos de guayaba, guava paste paired with local white cheese.

There is also a version of eggnog called coquito, which is made with evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut milk, cinnamon, and white rum. There are also flavored versions of coquito, including chocolate, pistachio, and guava.

Pasteles
A true local specialty, pasteles resemble tamales and are traditionally made with green banana masa stuffed with stewed pork meat. Sometimes yuca or other root vegetables are added; the masa can also be made with just yuca. Pasteles can also be stuffed with chicken or bacalao (salted cod), and some vegan versions have been introduced recently.

To form the pastel, masa is pressed onto a plantain leaf, the stuffing added in the center, and the plantain leaf is folded, tied with string and covered in parchment paper. The pasteles are then boiled, unwrapped, and served.

Arroz con gandules
Considered a boricua staple, this signature Puerto Rican rice dish is consumed year-round. Pigeon peas, or gandules, are small, dense legumes cooked with the rice in a large pot. First, salted pork or ham hock is sautéed in olive oil. Sofrito is then added, along with bay leaves, tomato paste, annatto, and often olives or capers. The rice and pigeon peas are then coated with this sauce, water or broth is added, and everything is cooked together until the rice is done.

6. Frituras
Deep-fried treats commonly found in open-air, beachside restaurants that pair beautifully with a cold beer. These are usually stuffed with ground beef, crab meat, chicken, fish, octopus, conch, or other seafood types. There are a variety of different fritters you will find in Puerto Rico.

Here are a few of the common types of frituras you might taste during your visit:

Alcapurrias are torpedo-shaped fritters made from shredded root vegetables like yuca and yautía, stuffed with a choice of meat. These deep-fried snacks are normally found in open-air, beachside restaurants that pair beautifully with a cold beer. Alcapurrias are usually stuffed with ground beef, crab meat, chicken, fish, octopus, conch, or other types of seafood. 

Empanadillas are a larger version of pastelillos, also stuffed with a choice of meat and fried. There’s also a popular pizza version filled with melted mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.

Arepas are flour-based, sometimes made with coconut for a slightly sweet flavor, fried and then stuffed, usually with seafood. Locals often eat them by themselves as appetizers. 

Bacalaítos are a simple batter of flour and water with chunks of salted cod and parsley, deep-fried into what look like giant corn flakes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mysty said:

To be clear,  I was wondering what folks thought about the idea of requesting a regional dish as we sailed, not the specific Colombo recipe.  😁  And of course,  I don't know what spices would be available to the chefs as we sail.  I just thought that a personalized S.A.L.T. would be fun. 😁

I've been thinking along those lines for our next sail through the Eastern Med in October. In the past I've brought back jarred condiments and the restaurant has kept them for us. Same with local fruit for the room.  If I bring back oysters from an excursion will they serve them to us?  Or, buy spices at a local market, will they incorporate them into some dish?  I'm sure it all depends on the Chef and their procurement/kitchen rules. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I've been thinking along those lines for our next sail through the Eastern Med in October. In the past I've brought back jarred condiments and the restaurant has kept them for us. Same with local fruit for the room.  If I bring back oysters from an excursion will they serve them to us?  Or, buy spices at a local market, will they incorporate them into some dish?  I'm sure it all depends on the Chef and their procurement/kitchen rules. Stay tuned!

Brilliant @highplanesdrifters !  I fully support your initiative!  We could bring the S.A.L.T. Kitchen intent to the ship.  Of course,  keeping the ship rules in mind.  😁

Just now, mysty said:

I definitely did not bring any of the prohibited weapons or poisons or other dangerous items on board!  I'm pleading the Fifth on the handcuffs.  😁

The catapult is the one that cracked me up the most.  I have this vision of hauling one up the gangplank under a tarp.🤣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

The catapult is the one that cracked me up the most.  I have this vision of hauling one up the gangplank under a tarp.🤣

It might be useful against pirates if you intend to sail through the Strait of Hormuz.  If it's collapsible it could go under the bed. 😁

• Haha 2

Email from SS on the WC Special Events and Overland.  Lots of good info.  Glad to see the SF hotel is the Fairmont.  I love historic hotels!

Looking East – 14 January 2024
San Francisco, CA

With its iconic dome standing as a beacon against San Francisco's skyline – bidding us farewell and then welcoming us back at the end of our journey – the city’s historic Beaux Arts City Hall is the ideal setting for our bon voyage evening where new and old friends unite in eager excitement. The hall’s lavish Rotunda and ornate Grand Staircase dating to 1915 add elegance to a glorious send-off. Equally as glorious will be your pre-cruise hotel stay at the historic and stylish Fairmont Hotel prior to embarking your voyage. With its impeccable service and enviable location atop Nob Hill, this legendary property has been drawing notable visitors since 1903.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, profpeabody said:

Email from SS on the WC Special Events and Overland.  Lots of good info.  Glad to see the SF hotel is the Fairmont.  I love historic hotels!

Looking East – 14 January 2024
San Francisco, CA

With its iconic dome standing as a beacon against San Francisco's skyline – bidding us farewell and then welcoming us back at the end of our journey – the city’s historic Beaux Arts City Hall is the ideal setting for our bon voyage evening where new and old friends unite in eager excitement. The hall’s lavish Rotunda and ornate Grand Staircase dating to 1915 add elegance to a glorious send-off. Equally as glorious will be your pre-cruise hotel stay at the historic and stylish Fairmont Hotel prior to embarking your voyage. With its impeccable service and enviable location atop Nob Hill, this legendary property has been drawing notable visitors since 1903.

Thank you @profpeabody !    For those interested here is a photo of the City Hall...

pinkovercityhall_sergioruiz.jpg.0478164c7a6eaf27c5368861e44d77ff.jpg

And the Rotunda (image by By T meltzer - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=95653903) ...

1920px-San_Francisco_City_Hall_3.jpg.0ec394c4136d3eea94376435c51abbd8.jpg

Edited by mysty
  • Like 2

We're very happy that the Farewell at the end of the cruise will be held on May 22, 2024 in Vancouver.  We are disembarking from Vancouver on May 23rd.  We will be able to attend the final hurrah!  😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

The catapult is the one that cracked me up the most

I believe that "catapult" is what is known as a slingshot in the US and Canada.  Used in, for example, Dorothy Sayers' "Murder Must Advertise."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I believe that "catapult" is what is known as a slingshot in the US and Canada.  Used in, for example, Dorothy Sayers' "Murder Must Advertise."  

Thank you @dawntrdr !  That is news to me!  It does make much more sense though.  We did enjoy a giggle with the other concept of a catapult! 😅

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hi all, did you notice that two overland trips have been removed? Australia train trip and Alaska resort?

I noticed that the Australian overland was gone.   I didn't even notice that there was an Alaska resort option.  They probably couldn't make those options work. 

13 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Is anyone knowledgeable about the Cambodia overland trip. Expensive for a solo.

Are you looking for the itinerary @HappyLadyTravels ?  It's listed on http://mysilversea.com on March 29, 2024.  Or are you asking if it's worth the money?  The responses may be subjective to some extent.

Edited by mysty

Next up on the exploration of dishes to try is in Cartagena, Colombia.  The information presented here comes by way of https://www.cartagenaexplorer.com/local-traditional-foods-to-try-cartagena-colombia/  - 10 Local Dishes You Have to Try in Cartagena, Colombia by Adam McConnaughhay .

"There are lots of restaurants in Cartagena serving up not only local, but also national and international fare.  No matter what you’re looking for, you can probably find it in Cartagena.  There are also some great Colombian dishes from other parts of the country like the Bandeja Paisa and Ajiaco.

However, in this post, I’m going to be focusing on the traditional dishes from Cartagena.  These are local favorites that embody the Caribbean flavor of Cartagena.  Not surprisingly, there’s a fair amount of seafood on the list.  However, even if you’re not a seafood fan, there’s sure to be something for you on this list of the dishes to try in Cartagena."

1.  Fried Fish Plate
A classic Colombian coastal dish.  Typically, the fish is a mojarra roja (tilapia) and is fried to a nice, golden crisp.  It is usually served with coconut rice and patacones, fried plantain patties (often called tostones elsewhere in Latin America).  Both of those sides are also traditional Cartagena dishes.

3 typical Cartagena foods in 1 means this easily qualifies as number 1 on the list of the best traditional meals in Cartagena!  It is an especially good choice for lunch at the beach!  For me, a big juicy fish and ice cold beer is synonymous with the beach in Cartagena.

They do serve you the entire fish, so if you’re not used to that it might take some practice to avoid the bones.  The trick is to eat one side, then flip it over to eat the other.  Don’t worry, you’ll be an expert in no time!

2.  Cazuela de Mariscos
This seafood stew is also a Cartagena favorite.  Usually a cazuela has shrimp, calamari, and clams.  Some may also include fish and even lobster as an added bonus.

Cooked with coconut milk, the Cazuela de Mariscos is almost a Caribbean version of seafood chowder.  It is also usually served with a portion of coconut rice and patacones.  Creamy and delicious, it lands second on the list of best foods to try in Cartagena.  All that seafood also makes it an aphrodisiac.

3.  Camarones al Ajillo
If you haven’t caught on, the seafood in Cartagena really shines.  Next up on our list of traditional dishes you should try in Cartagena is Camarones al Ajillo, shrimp in a garlic, butter, and white wine sauce.  The best places also throw in some cream to get the sauce nice and thick.

You can also order this dish with prawns, Langostinos al Ajillo.  Really, any seafood cooked al ajillo is delicious (again, garlic and butter).  For the landlubbers, chicken is also good cooked al ajillo.

Posta Negra might be considered a Cartagena comfort food.  It is a beef dish similar to a roast, although it is actually traditionally seared then slow simmered on the stove top after marinating overnight.

What makes it unique is the sweet and savory sauce.  There are different variations, but all are made with panela, unrefined brown cane sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.  Many also include Coca-Cola.

Traditionally a meal using a tough cut of meat and cheap, simple ingredients, posta negra, sometimes referred to simply as posta cartagenera, is a unique example of Cartagena’s working class’s culinary heritage.  Even many of the city’s finest restaurants have taken to offering it on their menus in an homage to all the abuelitas who have prepared it over the years.

5.  Sancocho
Colombians love soup.  I know many who don’t consider a lunch complete without a soup to start.  The most popular type of soup is a sancocho.

Sancocho is a hearty soup with meat and root vegetables.  It usually has yuca, plantains, and potatoes along with cilantro and onion for flavor.  Corn on the cob is also frequently included.  The meat differs.  The most commonly served in Cartagena is Sancocho de Pescado (fish).  You may also see Sancocho de Gallina (chicken or hen), Sancocho de Costilla (beef ribs), or even the Sancocho Trifásico (with beef, chicken, and pork).

6.  Mote de Queso
Next up on our list of foods to try in Cartagena is another soup, a very unique cheese soup!

Mote de Queso is made with chunks of the salty, crumbly costeño cheese and ñame, a root vegetable similar to yams.  It also has onions and garlic.  Certainly a unique dish, Mote de Queso is another traditional food to try in Cartagena.
Mote_de_queso.jpg.e297085b219de38dd2ab7cc2535056c8.jpg

7.  Arepa de Huevo
Arepas, grilled or fried corn meal patties, are common all over Colombia and Venezuela.  In fact they date to well before the Spanish conquest.

However, there’s a unique spin on the arepa on the Colombian coast.  Before being thrown into the frying pot, the arepa is stuffed with ground beef and an egg is cracked inside the arepa.  The finished product is a golden brown, crunchy, greasy, stuffed arepa.

The arepa de huevo is perfect for a quick breakfast on the go or an afternoon or late night snack.  They can be found at stalls as well as bike sellers all around Cartagena.  Especially good are the ladies on the corner diagonal from the Exito San Diego near the India Catalina.

8.  Patacón con Todo
If you’re looking for street food and the Arepa de Huevo isn’t enough for you, then try a Patacón con Todo.  These patacones are longer than the standard ones served up with your fish or cazuela.

This longer patacón serves as the base of a heaping mound of, well todo (everything).  Usually that includes beef, chicken, chorizo and butifarra (types of sausages), and cheese.  It is then topped off with crunchy shoestring potatoes and full complement of sauces.

9.  Arroz de Mariscos
Nearly every restaurant serves this Cartagena favorite dish.  It mixes two of cartageneros’ favorite things, rice and seafood.

Usually, this seafood rice has shrimp, clams, fish and calamari.  Similar to a paella, arroz de mariscos is cooked together and tends to be a wetter rice.  You might also see this called arroz marinera.  The arroz melosa is a creamier version similar to a risotto.

10.  Ceviche
Nearly every restaurant serves at least one variation, and it makes for a great appetizer.  Although not unique to Cartagena, ceviche is certainly a seafood favorite.  If you want a cartagenero take on it, look for one that includes suero sour cream and/or coconut milk.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

They need to be more specific in their wording. I'm assuming they are referring to hand held catapults. Curious that there's no restriction on Trebuchet though. One was recently spotted at a petrol station here in North Wales but they were filming the new series of House of Dragon here at the time. 

0_AFRDPW220623GarageTrebuchet_02.jpg.webp

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

They need to be more specific in their wording. I'm assuming they are referring to hand held catapults. Curious that there's no restriction on Trebuchet though. One was recently spotted at a petrol station here in North Wales but they were filming the new series of House of Dragon here at the time. 

0_AFRDPW220623GarageTrebuchet_02.jpg.webp

They probably wouldn't recognize a Trebuchet if they tripped over it! 😅

• Haha 2