FAS Drink Gratuities

SleeStack1

I personally understand that free is never free with anything that requires a purchase.

Still....for fun...

We consume 3 drinks per day each on average.  FAS upfront gratuities are based on 6-7 (roughly) drinks per day.

Unused drink gratuities for us would amount to 3 * 14 * 20% = 8.40 drink gratuities per person per day. 

If we were sticklers about FREE drinks, we could go ask for $17 back per cruise day from the DSC at cruise end right?  Our justification being we only want to tip 20% on drinks, not 40%.

We won't do that as we realize the drinks aren't really free, but cost $6.66ea... including tip.

Hidden general fare increase (if any) ignored....

Edited by SleeStack1

The gratuities are based on the price of the package - $109 pp/pd.

2 minutes ago, SleeStack1 said:

Hidden general fare increase (if any) ignored.

If you're going to do this, your break-even point with drinks is 2 pp/pd if you assume $14 per drink, to make up the $20 (a little more now since it's 20% of 109) pp/pd that you have actually paid for the package, or rather the gratuities on the package.  

17 minutes ago, SleeStack1 said:

I personally understand that free is never free with anything that requires a purchase.

Still....for fun...

We consume 3 drinks per day each on average.  FAS upfront gratuities are based on 6-7 (roughly) drinks per day.

Unused drink gratuities for us would amount to 3 * 14 * 20% = 8.40 drink gratuities per person per day. 

If we were sticklers about FREE drinks, we could go ask for $17 back per cruise day from the DSC at cruise end right?  Our justification being we only want to tip 20% on drinks, not 40%.

We won't do that as we realize the drinks aren't really free, but cost $6.66ea... including tip.

Hidden general fare increase (if any) ignored....

First of all, the DSC and the gratuities for the drinks are separate items.

Second, since you're only drinking half the 'free' drinks, instead of asking for remittance of the gratuities, why don't you ask for a refund equally the price of three drinks?

We do not drink that many drinks per day. Perhaps 2-3.  But we drink multiple (read 6-8 😁) sodas and juices per day. So we need to factor those in on the usage of the drinks package too. 

It’s not only the alcohol beverages that you get with the drinks package. You’ll get other beverages for free too. 

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

First of all, the DSC and the gratuities for the drinks are separate items.

Second, since you're only drinking half the 'free' drinks, instead of asking for remittance of the gratuities, why don't you ask for a refund equally the price of three drinks?

Well, the 3 drinks would be free.  They are merely charging gratuities on 6 of them.  I'm not that dastardly😇

This is purely academic...I'm not asking for any DSC back...unless service were truly bad.  I'm expecting it will be plenty fine.

10 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

We do not drink that many drinks per day. Perhaps 2-3.  But we drink multiple (read 6-8 😁) sodas and juices per day. So we need to factor those in on the usage of the drinks package too. 

It’s not only the alcohol beverages that you get with the drinks package. You’ll get other beverages for free too. 

Fair point!  Perhaps we shall only demand $6 per person per day returned!😉

On a side note, fancy coffees would have been a nice inclusion, but gotta sell that FAS+!

Edited by SleeStack1

1 minute ago, Liljo22 said:

If you were to pay the full price of the package and only drink 3 you wouldn’t get to request a refund on the drinks that you missed so why would you be able to request a refund on the gratuties?

Because they were called FREE drinks....just pay gratuities.  So we would be paying gratuities on our free 3 drinks, but don't want to on drinks #4 - 7....which we are charged upfront for.

On the other hand, if you drink more than 7 drinks, you could be said to be stiffing your bartenders if you don't tip extra.

Can we just stop these threads?  They get very old.  I don’t care if it is “hypothetical”.  At the end of the day you’re paying approximately $20/day for alcohol, sodas, etc.  if that’s too much, don’t get the package and pay by the drink.  

To the OP - I really want to believe that you’re being sincere here, but I can’t help but think you’re trying to stir the pot.  This issue has been debated/discussed repeatedly.  Always ends in an argument.  Get the package or don’t, your choice.  But to even contemplate asking for a refund of a pro-rated percent take of the gratuities you paid is ludicrous.  Just my opinion, but don’t we have better things to discuss?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, SleeStack1 said:

Because they were called FREE drinks....just pay gratuities. 

It is not "pay gratuities on drinks" it is "pay gratuities on the package". So there is zero gratuities due back, because you paid for the package. 

• Like 4

I’m sorry if I missed this but here goes- if you have 3 adults over 21 in a cabin and 1 child… (looking at a 2 bedroom suite with my Mom coming with us).  I know guest 1&2 get the free at Sea but what about the 3&4?  Does adult #3 get anything?  Child doesn’t get sodas you have to pay for that package right?

9 minutes ago, Figg1437 said:

I’m sorry if I missed this but here goes- if you have 3 adults over 21 in a cabin and 1 child… (looking at a 2 bedroom suite with my Mom coming with us).  I know guest 1&2 get the free at Sea but what about the 3&4?  Does adult #3 get anything?  Child doesn’t get sodas you have to pay for that package right?

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/FreeatSeaPlus_0.pdf

All adults on the booking will get the beverage benefit.. 

Edited by macewank

3 minutes ago, macewank said:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/FreeatSeaPlus_0.pdf

All adults on the booking will get the beverage benefit.  Regular FAS doesn't include soda for anyone, so not included for children either. 

Ok now I really missed this part- so  as an adult I have the open bar package but I’ll have to pay for each soda? 

Edit to add- just saw this on my reservation - soda included (Ps I’m looking at adding Mom she isn’t on yet)

• Unlimited Open Bar Package
    Includes a selection of beverages by the glass (premium cocktails, beer and wine up to $15) as well as unlimited soda, juices, and one 6-liter case of Flow water (exclusions apply) Click Here for details

Edited by Figg1437

Just now, Figg1437 said:

Ok now I really missed this part- so  as an adult I have the open bar package but I’ll have to pay for each soda? 

I completely misspoke lol.  Ignore that whole part.  Soda is included with FAS.  I believe the under 21 person will get the soda package instead of the beverage package as well.

• Thanks 1

Check you bills at end. We were charged full price twice for drinks.$30. Also the limit for drinks is $15. If for example you order Baileys it is $16. You will be charged $1. They have another brand of Irish Cream that is $8 so it would be free. It tasted just as good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, macewank said:

I completely misspoke lol.  Ignore that whole part.  Soda is included with FAS.  I believe the under 21 person will get the soda package instead of the beverage package as well.

It depends on how you book the "under 21" person.....

Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Unlimited Open Bar Package does not apply and soda package will not be given as a substitution.
Guest 1-2 must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Unlimited Open Bar Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

...the "under 21" would have to be guest #2 in order to get the soda package for the FAS (and pay a smaller service charge). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It depends on how you book the "under 21" person.....

Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Unlimited Open Bar Package does not apply and soda package will not be given as a substitution.
Guest 1-2 must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Unlimited Open Bar Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

...the "under 21" would have to be guest #2 in order to get the soda package for the FAS (and pay a smaller service charge). 

Ahh... And if you do it that way, then over21 guest #3 won't get the FAS alcohol.  

Edited by macewank

2 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

No.  Any passenger 21+ in the cabin is given the FAS alcohol package. Even if they are #3. 

It says only if guest 1 and guest 2 take it? unless i'm misreading the flyer.  (so if the minor was made guest 2, guest 3 and guest 4 won't get the package)

6 minutes ago, macewank said:

It says only if guest 1 and guest 2 take it? unless i'm misreading the flyer.  (so if the minor was made guest 2, guest 3 and guest 4 won't get the package)

If taking the promo...

Guest #3 (if over 21) gets the PBP and pays the service charge. 

Guest #3 (if under 21) does not get the soda package. 

Book adults as #1, #3, and #4 and child as #2. 

On 1/2/2023 at 5:24 PM, SleeStack1 said:

...We consume 3 drinks per day each on average.  FAS upfront gratuities are based on 6-7 (roughly) drinks per day...

To me that's the wrong perspective. I can't agree with evaluations based on what the assumed conditions are to establish a given price, just whether the final price is justified for the service/product I receive. If a state bases their gasoline tax on the assumption that one drives 15,000 miles a year in a vehicle that gets 20 miles per gallon, should I be entitled to a refund of the gas tax I pay because I drive fewer miles in a more fuel efficient vehicle?

With Free-at-Sea, I'm paying roughly $20 for a drinks package (ignoring the possibly - probably - higher base fare with FAS than without). Without a package, that would get me two drinks at $8.33 each plus their 20% gratuity. Anything that I consume that is more than that is over and above what I'm paying. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.