Live (when possible) from the Venture in Antarctica 1/3 - 1/16

crunchii

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

crunchii was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Arrived in Buenos Aires this morning. There were several Seaborn representatives holding up signs right outside of the exit, then we followed one of them to the bus to our hotel.

We were lucky and able to get our room right away, but if no rooms are available, they can store your luggage, so you can go sightseeing. Seabourn offers some tours in the afternoon and evening (see below), if you don't have anything planned.

We'll fly to Ushuaia early tomorrow morning (our bus leaves at 5:30 am 😱) to board the Venture.

I don't know how well the Internet works on the ship, but I'll try to post when I can! I'll definitely report our experience through the Drake Passage without the stabilizers.

IMG_20230103_122529.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Looking forward to reading about your cruise.  Looking at Cruisemapper, I was struck by how many ships are currently doing the Antarctic trip.  My DH and I did it in about 1990, on an old ordinary cruise ship called the Ocean Princess, on a cruise under the auspices of Eric Lindblad.  I doubt she was ice hardened!  It was a wonderful trip, lots of visits ashore in our red parkas. In and out of BA, with a couple of nights there at the end.  Some time later we discovered that she had 'sunk' in the mud in the Amazon!   No loss of life; she just went slowly down, I believe.  Thank goodness it was not when we were all on board.

• Like 1

We're onboard now 🥰 Grabbed a light lunch in Lido and now having coffee in Seabourn Square 🙂

Yep, Hanseatic Nature is behind us and Scenic Eclipse is across. HAL Oosterdam is also here. They're tendering.

DSC_1472.JPG

DSC_1470.JPG

DSC_1437.JPG

• Like 7

We're in the middle of the Drake Passage. The sea is fairly mild, but the ship is rocking quite a bit, so yeah I say the stabilizers are important. 😆 But it's tolerable. Nothing has fallen off the table or shelves.

DSC_1529.JPG

DSC_1533.JPG

DSC_1538.JPG

• Like 4

During the briefing yesterday, someone asked about the stabilizers. Their answer was pretty much what was stated in the letter we received (it's a comfort issue and not safety issue), but they also mentioned the reason why South Georgia was dropped from those itineraries that included it. (Ours doesn't include it to begin with.)

It has to do with the direction they would be sailing. When they sail southwest from South Georgia to the Antarctica, the waves will hit the ship from unfavorable direction.

That makes sense. I was wondering why they can go to Antarctica through the Drake Passage without the stabilizers, but not South Georgia. Now I know.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, crunchii said:

Yes, lunch was served, but it was not very good. Ham and cheese sandwich (no lettuce, etc.) and some mixed fruit. (Sorry, forgot to take pictures.) That plane ride definitely was not luxurious.

Were you able to bring your usual carry-on wheeled luggage on the charter flight?  If yes, did they weigh it?  Did they weigh your checked luggage for the charter?  

Yes, I was able to bring my carry-on wheeled luggage like usual. We put our checked luggage out in the hallway the night before at the hotel, and we didn't see it again until arriving at the airport in Ushuaia. Dunno if they weighed our luggage during that time or not. Carry-on luggage was not weighed.

Edited by crunchii
Typo

2 minutes ago, crunchii said:

Yes, I was able to bring my carry-on wheeled luggage like usual. We put our checked luggage out in the hallway the night before at the hotel, and we didn't see it again until arriving at the airport in Ushuaia. Dunno if they weighed our luggage during that time or not. Carry-on luggage was not weighed.

Do you use an International size roll-aboard?  

We did our first landing today. In the morning we took the Zodiac to The Naze on James Ross Island. We saw some penguins and seals there.

In the afternoon, we were supposed to do another landing at False Island Point on Vega Island, but the condition wasn't right, so we just did a Zodiac tour through icebergs.

Then in the evening, we saw a couple pods of orcas. They swam along with us for a while.

Tonight, the ship will go east, then south along James Ross Island to Rum Cove, where we'll have another landing tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

• Like 3

Looks like they're a little behind on their posts, but you can see their blog in Seabourn Voyage Tracker.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/experience/voyagetracker/index.html

Select "Seabourn Venture" > 2023 > 12-day Antarctica Exploration (4 - 16 January)

You can see the posts from the previous cruises there as well.

This morning's landing was canceled, due to high wind.

Disappointing, but we're enjoying the scenery from the ship. We're cruising along the west side of James Ross Island, where not too many cruise ships visit. According to the expedition staff, this area was completely blocked off by the ice until 1990's.

DSC_1677.JPG

DSC_1676.JPG

DSC_1685.JPG

DSC_1696.JPG

32 minutes ago, crunchii said:

This morning's landing was canceled, due to high wind. Disappointing, but we're enjoying the scenery from the ship. We're cruising along the west side of James Ross Island, where not too many cruise ships visit. According to the expedition staff, this area was completely blocked off by the ice until 1990's.

We never got down there on our Quest trip in 2018 due to ice!  A singular lack of it and snow for you today.  Spotted a Lindblad/Nat Geo ship today has sailed the entire length of the west side of the Peninsula and now seems headed across to NZ.  They may be gone for some time.

Edited by Fletcher