First Time Cruiser: Questions About Alaskan Cruise on Koningsdam

Colorado Klutch

"I'm in cabin 5702"

I'm hoping you mean 5072 which should be fine  between 2 cabin decks and a good level to either go up to Lido or down to deck 2 and 3. The only issue (if any) would be looking down over the balcony you may see the tops of the tender boats but shouldn't block view sitting on the balcony. 

19 minutes ago, REOVA said:

"I'm in cabin 5702"

I'm hoping you mean 5072 which should be fine  between 2 cabin decks and a good level to either go up to Lido or down to deck 2 and 3. The only issue (if any) would be looking down over the balcony you may see the tops of the tender boats but shouldn't block view sitting on the balcony. 

You are correct. It's 5072. Thank you for the information. Better to see the tender boats below than have them obstructing my view from the balcony. 

I really wanted an Inside Passage itinerary and hope that was the right decision. The Outside Passage cruises stop at Victoria late in the evening. I assume this is for the Passenger Vessel Service Act, but it seems like a waste of a port call. I think I would also prefer the scenery of the Inside Passage. 

I hope it's all worth it since it appears flying to Vancouver and staying overnight there is twice the cost of flying to Seattle and staying overnight. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch

3 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

You are correct. It's 5072. Thank you for the information. Better to see the tender boats below than have them obstructing my view from the balcony. 

I really wanted an Inside Passage itinerary and hope that was the right decision. The Outside Passage cruises stop at Victoria late in the evening. I assume this is for the Passenger Vessel Service Act, but it seems like a waste of a port call. I think I would also prefer the scenery of the Inside Passage. 

I hope it's all worth it since it appears flying to Vancouver and staying overnight there is twice the cost of flying to Seattle and staying overnight. 

You will enjoy it.

Yes the PVSA had the cruise lines scrambling when Canada closed it borders. Would've been nice if they made the temporary waiver permanent. 

12 hours ago, jimbob22 said:

if going that route, I'd probably bring a small, travel sized electric kettle.  I think relying on them to bring hot-enough water would not work so well.  Wife has brought a small kettle on prior cruises (we had a luggage weight limitation for the latest cruise and did not bring it).

From the HAL Website (https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html):

For safety reasons, travel irons, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining service 24 hours a day.

If your wife brought a kettle onto a HAL ship, security must not have spotted it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I found the same thing to be true for my upcoming Alaskan cruise in September.  I was looking forward to spending a few days pre-cruise in Vancouver, but the difference in airfare and hotel costs can pay for my shorex.  I'm flying into Seattle a day ahead and staying at a hotel near Seatac.  In the morning I'll take the HAL shuttle from the airport, and reverse the process at the end of the cruise.  

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I found the same thing to be true for my upcoming Alaskan cruise in September.  I was looking forward to spending a few days pre-cruise in Vancouver, but the difference in airfare and hotel costs can pay for my shorex.  I'm flying into Seattle a day ahead and staying at a hotel near Seatac.  In the morning I'll take the HAL shuttle from the airport, and reverse the process at the end of the cruise.  

HAL has shuttles? I will need to research this. 

In retrospect, embarking out of Seattle would be less expensive, but I really preferred the Inside Passage itinerary. This cruise is for my 40th wedding anniversary and I don't mind spending the extra money. Anyway, I'm committed now. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch
  • Like 1

@Colorado Klutch, I'm not embarking in Seattle.  I'm flying into Seattle and then taking the HAL transfer to Vancouver.  On the HAL website, go into your acct. and look for pre- and post- travel.  There will be info about hotels and transfers.  The transfers are $79 each way.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

@Colorado Klutch, I'm not embarking in Seattle.  I'm flying into Seattle and then taking the HAL transfer to Vancouver.  On the HAL website, go into your acct. and look for pre- and post- travel.  There will be info about hotels and transfers.  The transfers are $79 each way.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. So HAL has transportation from Seattle to Vancouver? Sweet! I will look into that. I appreciate that information. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I find anywhere on the HAL web site to book the glacier trip from Tracy Arm Inlet. Does that mean it's sold out?

If it's an excursion and you go to excursions and it doesn't show, they may not offer it. Usually they show sold out or wait listed excursions. 

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

If it's an excursion and you go to excursions and it doesn't show, they may not offer it. Usually they show sold out or wait listed excursions. 

I called HAL and the rep said that excursion had not yet been scheduled. Not sure if he's correct.

1 minute ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I called HAL and the rep said that excursion had not yet been scheduled. Not sure if he's correct.

I think that it is very possible an excursion for 2023 Alaska hasn't been contracted for yet. Negotiations may have been started, but the final papers may not have been signed. Nothing will appear on the website until everything is signed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

I think that it is very possible an excursion for 2023 Alaska hasn't been contracted for yet. Negotiations may have been started, but the final papers may not have been signed. Nothing will appear on the website until everything is signed. 

I saw on the roll call for the 20 May Alaska cruise that someone had booked the Tracy Arm excursion last fall. Maybe my cruise is too early in the season for that excursion. 

On 1/3/2023 at 4:36 PM, Colorado Klutch said:

- Does HAL offer a non-alcohol drink package? I'm confused about this. I tend to have only an occasional beer and lots of coffee. But I like GOOD coffee with real cream. Mrs. Klutch likes to have a diet soda with meals. Is there a HAL drink package which might be good for us?

The Quench drink package that includes coffees and soda as well as mocktails may well be worth it. They charge for barista made coffee, all sodas and bottled water (although now in cans). Not always obvious is the 18% gratuity added to every beverage you buy. The package price includes that gratuity. While the listed cost is per person and every adult sharing a cabin must purchase it you are not going to save 1/2 that cost by limiting your purchases to 3 beverages/water per day - more like 3/4. (You can use your refillable water bottle in the Lido buffet and I have when times were tighter).

For the most enjoyment I would go with the package so you could have a good coffee anytime you please and the Mrs. can have her soda with meals or whenever strikes her fancy. Also nice to be able to have something to sip while you're at the entertainment.

14 hours ago, lavictoria said:

The Quench drink package that includes coffees and soda as well as mocktails may well be worth it. They charge for barista made coffee, all sodas and bottled water (although now in cans). Not always obvious is the 18% gratuity added to every beverage you buy. The package price includes that gratuity. While the listed cost is per person and every adult sharing a cabin must purchase it you are not going to save 1/2 that cost by limiting your purchases to 3 beverages/water per day - more like 3/4. (You can use your refillable water bottle in the Lido buffet and I have when times were tighter).

For the most enjoyment I would go with the package so you could have a good coffee anytime you please and the Mrs. can have her soda with meals or whenever strikes her fancy. Also nice to be able to have something to sip while you're at the entertainment.

I didn't think the drink packages included gratuity. Thank you, I will crunch some more numbers.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 2:30 PM, Colorado Klutch said:

Whatever your decision (to spend a night in Vancouver or not), I can guarantee you that the trip up the inside passage (between mainland BC and Vancouver Island) is worth it.  The scenery and wildlife in the Salish Sea and Johnstone Strait is amazing, much more so than the open ocean on the Pacific side.

Leanne

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leerathje said:

Whatever your decision (to spend a night in Vancouver or not), I can guarantee you that the trip up the inside passage (between mainland BC and Vancouver Island) is worth it.  The scenery and wildlife in the Salish Sea and Johnstone Strait is amazing, much more so than the open ocean on the Pacific side.

Leanne

Thanks!

• Like 1