Can a child sleep in a different cabin on the couch?

geopuzzle

This summer my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) will all stay in one O5 cabin.  My parents will be staying in the room next to us, also an O5 cabin, though they are only 2 people.  The rooms are on separate reservations.  My parents have offered multiple times to have my son sleep in their cabin on the convertible couch.  Is this allowed?  Can we ask for bedding to put on their couch?    

People traveling together swap cabins often.  This shouldn't be an issue, just ask the cabin steward for the needed items, a little extra cash up front might help to move it along.  Your son just won't have access to the cabin with his card.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

People traveling together swap cabins often.  This shouldn't be an issue, just ask the cabin steward for the needed items, a little extra cash up front might help to move it along.  Your son just won't have access to the cabin with his card.

OK thanks.  My son is too young/irresponsible to carry around a cabin card anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I believe you can also request an extra key card.

Also, if you are not in the final payment stage, I would re-price the cabins with three in one and four in one.   I think you probably got passenger three and four "free" but paid more for the fifth passenger.  The fifth passenger might be "free'" as a third passenger.  Worth trying. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I believe you can also request an extra key card.

Also, if you are not in the final payment stage, I would re-price the cabins with three in one and four in one.   I think you probably got passenger three and four "free" but paid more for the fifth passenger.  The fifth passenger might be "free'" as a third passenger.  Worth trying. 

The itinerary I had my heart set on didn't have free 3rd and 4th passengers.  All 3 kids were $499 each.  

1 minute ago, geopuzzle said:

The itinerary I had my heart set on didn't have free 3rd and 4th passengers.  All 3 kids were $499 each.  

There goes that.

Are you still checking for possible price changes?   For our upcoming March cruise, I repriced eight times saving us over $3,416.29 since booking in April 2022.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by the idea of putting 5 people in an Oceanview Stateroom.  I thought 4 was the limit.  We've never had a need to put more than three of us in a stateroom, so, never looked into something like 5.  (I know you can do it in some Haven arrangements, but, that's not what this OP has).

Edited by PATRLR

3 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I'm intrigued by the idea of putting 5 people in an Oceanview Stateroom.  I thought 4 was the limit.  We've never had a need to put more than three of us in a stateroom, so, never looked into something like 5.  (I know you can do it in some Haven arrangements, but, that's not what this OP has).

On the newer ships there are large ocean view cabins.

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

We stayed in an O5 on the Escape (large Oceanview room).  It wasn't bad with 3 younger kids.  There's a curtain that separates the two sleeping areas and it worked well enough for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geopuzzle said:

This summer my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) will all stay in one O5 cabin.  My parents will be staying in the room next to us, also an O5 cabin, though they are only 2 people.  The rooms are on separate reservations.  My parents have offered multiple times to have my son sleep in their cabin on the convertible couch.  Is this allowed?  Can we ask for bedding to put on their couch?    

Totally permissible - do it often.

18 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

On the BA/BA Plus ships, an Oceanview that sleeps 5 will look like this.

39 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On the BA/BA Plus ships, an Oceanview that sleeps 5 will look like this.

Interesting.  So bottom bunk is actually a double.  I didn't realize they ha such a thing.  Looks perfect for families with small-ish kids.

thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, geopuzzle said:

We stayed as a couple in an owner's suite on the Pearl a few years back. Our daughter, son-in-law and two small children were in a balcony cabin down the hall. The room steward made up the fold out couch every night for the two little ones and they slept in our room. It was allowed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geopuzzle said:

Totally allowed.  We also had 3 children, so know the challenge of finding rooms that'll take 5.  In your case, it's good you have parents willing to take 1 of the kids, and help to relieve congestion in your bathroom.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vacation44 said:

There goes that.

Are you still checking for possible price changes?   For our upcoming March cruise, I repriced eight times saving us over $3,416.29 since booking in April 2022.

how does looking for price changes work? if the price drops you call and rebook? do they just change the price? thanks I am new to NCL

17 minutes ago, sarahwalker2007 said:

how does looking for price changes work? if the price drops you call and rebook? do they just change the price? thanks I am new to NCL

In my case, my cruise dropped $100 (a Studio cabin) just before final payment, so I called in and asked for the new fare then had them process my payment.  It's now gone back up.

As long as you're before final payment it should be easy to get the lower fare applied to your cruise, just be aware that if the perks have changed at all you will then be eligible only for the new perks and not the ones you originally booked (since the new fare is based on the new set of perks). 

I would anticipate a decent drop in fare around 65-70 days prior to sail date - the ability to add or change the airfare promo ends at 75 days before the cruise, so once they drop that perk/offer from the fares they should go down some.  However, this is not an automatic re-fare as you're after final payment - you may or may not get FCC in some amount (usually a % of the fare difference) or be offered to upgrade to a higher cabin category IF it's still fared higher than you've already paid.  After final payment you get a ONE TIME adjustment, you can't keep calling and getting more off your fare.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sarahwalker2007 said:

For our upcoming cruise, I called NCL directly and said the price has gone down and I would like a price adjustment.    Most of the time the agents were knowledgeable how to handle it, but once or twice the agent said they would put in a request.   I then said never mind, hung up and called again.  

Now what I find interesting is that since we booked this cruise, the DSC did go up, but our original DSC amount was kept with all of the price adjustments.

Also, now that we are in the final payment stage, I did call for my one-time-only FCC for a price drop and were just notified we got an approval of $640 to be used within one year from our next sailing.  

So in total, we saved over $4,000 (I am including the FCC since we do have a cruise booked for this August where we will use the $640) by constantly checking the updated prices.   

Call and let us know your outcome!

23 hours ago, sarahwalker2007 said:

FWIW, I've been told that they do this routinely for Americans and never ever for British passengers because of different laws in different countries. I don't know what the laws/policies are for Canadians but it might be different from what you hear about from Americans.

• Thanks 1