Windjammer hours question

6 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Can you elaborate?  What do you mean by "just a few items per night" on the buffet?  We're booked on the Equinox and December and would be surprised if there where only a few items on the buffet. LOL

Dan

Lots of posts about it in this thread.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2023 at 6:06 PM, LeeW said:

Lines like Princess close one side to reset for another meal.  Royal closes the whole buffet for quite a while between meals.

Carnival also closes one side while doing the reset, which thankfully doesn't take 3 hours.  

Of course, the buffet on Carnival ("Lido" or "Lido Marketplace") can never be completely closed off, since it's the thru route from the main pool area to the aft pool area on nearly all ships.  

Now, if they could only offer some food options there after 1 am, besides pizza....  😄  

It will be interesting to see the Windjammer hours on our upcoming music charter cruise on the Freedom.  In the past on the Indy, they were closed during some dinner hours (say, 7 pm), but reopened for us from 11pm to 2 or 3 am.    I'll try to find a Compass with the hours posted.  

Friends of mine were just on RCCL Christmas/NYE cruise (not sure which one).  They were complaining about lack of food when drinking in the afternoon on port days.  I hadn't really noticed on our recent sailings re Windjammer.  I just saw it opened at 6pm nightly on the Voyager.  And I agree re the pizza.  The roast beef sandwiches are always good though.

Beyond the dessert cheese tray (which does sound awesome) what do you recommend we keep in the room for afternoon hungries?   

Although, I don't remember seeing a cheese tray on the new menu.  But, then I didn't pay too much attention to the dessert menu.   If there isn't anything to tempt me on the dessert menu, the sky would be falling.  

Does the WJ have worthwhile cheese out?    i.e. not sliced American.  I don't have a problem with American cheese, but it isn't a snack cheese.  

On 1/4/2023 at 5:58 PM, JMMM2323 said:

And there's not much except pizza and dessert after 9.  Is this the same on all RC ships??  Or just the one we're on??  

On 1/5/2023 at 10:44 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

The bigger one for me are the later night food options.  Some ships have Playmakers, which helps, but even so Royal should do better.  Late night pizza and finger sandwiches get old after a few days.

Add me to this club as well! We enjoy early dinner and then some entertainment, but then did not care for having only pizza as an option if we wanted a snack in the later part of the evening. Just too heavy and greasy if we were going to bed soon. And the promenade was always really crowded in those later evening hours because other things weren't open to disperse the masses. 

On 1/4/2023 at 6:01 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

and on rainy days, allowing folks to sit in the middle of the day to play cards or games is nice.

Yup RCI is very good a shutting and chasing folks away.   

I also didn't realize that the WJ was closed in the later afternoons. I remember we took my MIL with us on a cruise years ago when the kids were younger. She found a small group of Greek ladies (she's Greek) and would hang out with them all afternoon in the WJ, talking, having coffee or tea and little pastries, enjoying the view out the large windows (she had some mobility challenges from arthritis so it was hard for her to move around the ship to different locations and she couldn't do shore excursions with us). It is a nice space to sit and hang out. That makes me a little sad, that people can no longer use it as a public common space at less busy times for eating.

• Like 2