Wonder of the Seas Question?

Ret MP

Since the Solarium is fully enclosed, much of it enclosed with glass or plastic or whatever, does the A/C keep up with the heat or does it get real hot in there during the Caribbean sunny days?

Edited by Ret MP

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Since the Solarium is fully enclosed, much of it enclosed with glass or plastic or whatever, does the A/C keep up with the heat or does it get real hot in there during the Caribbean sunny days?

I am on the ship now for the New Year’s sailing. My wife and I found the solarium extremely unpleasant during the week. Extremely humid. Nothing was done to adjust the temperature down. Others complained as well. Was very disappointed. We normally look forward to spending a lot of our trip in the solarium, and it was unbearable to us. 😞 that was us. I’m sure others will give you different opinions.

21 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

I am on the ship now for the New Year’s sailing. My wife and I found the solarium extremely unpleasant during the week. Extremely humid. Nothing was done to adjust the temperature down. Others complained as well. Was very disappointed. We normally look forward to spending a lot of our trip in the solarium, and it was unbearable to us. 😞 that was us. I’m sure others will give you different opinions.

Well, it's 100% so far, all two of you.  But, I asked the question because I read in another board that it was very very hot and unpleasant in there and I just wanted to verify.  I hate/can't tolerate being in greenhouses.  So, I guess the solarium is out for me, if or when I cruise on her. 

Thank you, both of you!

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

We were on the Wonder in December and it was perfectly comfortable.  We were able to stay out there all day long and never had to use sunscreen.  It is our favorite Solarium for sure!!

The Wonder is an amazing ship!!!

• Like 1

We board today for two weeks. Will check it out at different times and report back.

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

• Like 1

Just now, Norwich Cruiser said:

Agree.

Effectors 2 ????????? 

A complete waste of time and money? IMO

Agree as well. Stupid plot.  I appreciate the tech but the show was boring.  Singers and performers come second to the overall high end tech production. 

• Like 1

I recently did a B2B on Wonder and found the Solarium to be extremely hot and uncomfortable most of the time. There are windows in the Solarium they open that are supposed to help keep the area cooler, but they didn’t help much during the cruise. I assume/hope they use AC during the Summer, otherwise I can’t imagine anyone spending any time in the Solarium. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I recently did a B2B on Wonder and found the Solarium to be extremely hot and uncomfortable most of the time. There are windows in the Solarium they open that are supposed to help keep the area cooler, but they didn’t help much during the cruise. I assume/hope they use AC during the Summer, otherwise I can’t imagine anyone spending any time in the Solarium. 

Was on the Wonder in September out of Barcelona.  Some days the temperature was in the 90's and it felt like there was hardly any AC being pumped into the Solarium at all.  I saw those windows and thought they could provide a breeze when the ship was moving, but the crew never opened them once during the week.  Unless you love hot temperatures, unfortunately this is not the place to relax on the ship.

• Like 1

This ship is a total disaster. Food in both WJ and solarium Bistro was inedible, cold, and there seemed to be no one present or conscious enough to clean up the mess left by passengers. You had to literally move the skin aside to get to any usable sauce. 

Not enough staff, chefs who seemed clueless, and management who looked like deer in the headlights. And all they need to do is repaint the doors in the hallways green and you’d swear you were in a motel 6. Moving all of our upcoming Wonder cruises to other ships - will never sail this dog again.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, orville99 said:

This ship is a total disaster. Food in both WJ and solarium Bistro was inedible, cold, and there seemed to be no one present or conscious enough to clean up the mess left by passengers. You had to literally move the skin aside to get to any usable sauce. 

Not enough staff, chefs who seemed clueless, and management who looked like deer in the headlights. And all they need to do is repaint the doors in the hallways green and you’d swear you were in a motel 6. Moving all of our upcoming Wonder cruises to other ships - will never sail this dog again.

Wow!!  Totally not our experience at all.  In fact after two meals in the MDR we ate the rest of the time in the WJ and enjoyed it very much.  We loved the new layout that seemed to flow very well.

The staff was so nice and were very attentive.  Saw lots of “white shirts” bussing and cleaning tables along with their staff.  Never saw a table not cleaned off for more than a couple of minutes….

Sorry your experience wasn’t the same…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

I just got off a B2B on Wonder and found the food and service excellent every where we ate.  The service we received in the MDR was among the best I have experienced in 56 cruises. I also thought the food in WJ was good to very good with staff literally removing plates from our table within seconds of seeing an empty plate on our table.  

• Like 2

As stated before, I had my problem with the Wonder, but food and service were very good in my opinion. The Windjammer was the best of all the Oasis Class ships. Never had a problem finding a table or getting served with drinks. The same for cleaning the tables. My only problem with this amazing ship was the entertainment.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, deliver42 said:

As stated before, I had my problem with the Wonder, but food and service were very good in my opinion. The Windjammer was the best of all the Oasis Class ships. Never had a problem finding a table or getting served with drinks. The same for cleaning the tables. My only problem with this amazing ship was the entertainment.

I have to agree with you about the entertainment ……🥴🥴

On 1/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, Ret MP said:

So far it has been the world’s largest sauna. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Too bad.  The design engineers should have thought of that.  

I really hope that passengers provide specific and direct feedback to Royal on this topic. On our 12/31/22 it was basically a sauna yet the area was full. So my guess is that Royal probably figures that if the space is filling up there's not a problem and that you can't make everyone happy. I'm back on in April 2023 and don't expect it to be any better - hopefully I'll be wrong.

• Like 1

It was too hot on our med cruise. I did mention it to staff who were aware but said there was nothing they could do.

I get the impression there is no AC in there just forced ventilation. So if it's 90 outside it just pumps in that. No cooling.

This was the only thing I hated on the ship. The outdoor decks have little shade and I can't sit in the sun for long so we struggled to find somewhere to lounge.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Too bad.  The design engineers should have thought of that.  

Unfortunately that is not the only design flaw of the solarium. Deck 16 dead ends at the solarium, and the second level and bar that were one of the nice features on other oasis class ships is gone.

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Unfortunately that is not the only design flaw of the solarium. Deck 16 dead ends at the solarium, and the second level and bar that were one of the nice features on other oasis class ships is gone.

Yep, that is a shame.  

However, my main concern is with the Greenhouse effect in there.  I can still take part in the venue without bar(s).  But, I can't if it is too hot and too humid.  So, it sounds like the Solarium, until I see for myself, is out.  

I love to work, exercise, and/or be active in the tropical heat, I love to sweat.  But, I can't just lay around for the purpose of relaxation in it.