“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

10 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Like I said, I don't have beer too often, but I’d be interested in trying more local, obscure brews, if such were available. 

They had a few Chilean beers on our Antarctica cruise, maybe because I requested local beers before hand. They selected the worst, although I found tasty beers in ports. I would think that Seabourn would pick up a few local beers en route, if you asked. I will pick up a couple of obscure beers in foreign lands to bring home, it's about the only shopping I do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

One lonely vote for beetroot - not just boiled plain, but spiced up.  Celery just like eating water, I can't imagine it has any nutrition.

Apparently it's what Victoria Beckham eats when she fancies pigging out

12 hours ago, shark b8 said:

for a long while I’d ask if there was a beer matching our present port or country - Indian or Thai or whatever.   I have only been told about essentially the same labels - Stella, Heineken, mostly internationally-well-known stuff.  Like I said, I don't have beer too often, but I’d be interested in trying more local, obscure brews, if such were available. 

My ongoing complaint (and comment on post-cruise comment surveys) is that Seabourn's food & drink makes no effort to reflect where in the world we are cruising. (Well, when we sailed in the Caribbean in 2021 and 2022 and they were home porting in Barbados, they did have Banks, the top local beer.) I'd love to see them react to what Silversea has done with their SALT (Sea and Land Taste) program, and have more local food and beverages. 

• Like 3

Sailing by Indonesean islands, through the Banda, Molucca, and Celebes Seas in 2018 we had Bintang Beer on board Sojourn - quite a pleasant easy going lager, great with some ikan bilis to snack on.

I 'm not a big beer drinker either, but have found that if you ask at the bar what bottled beers they have they will tell you and bring you a bottle if you ask for one.

Enjoying the pics of Sydney, we will be there in 10 days!! I agree it is one of the great sail into experiences. Yet to witness a sailaway, but won't be long.

Was lucky to sail away from Singapore late at night, so have a completely different and memorable perspective with the lights of the city and shipping glittering in the blackness and gas flares in the distance.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 1

Glad to hear there are others who See The Truth about beets.  Mrs Sharkbait actually likes them and orders them every now and then, I think it might be an “in-your-face” kinda thing.  I have no beet-level phobia about celery - when I was a little kid my mother would stuff a celery stalk with peanut butter or (another shudder) Cheez Whiz.  Presumably a way of getting a little kid to eat a vegetable.  I also rather like it chopped in an Asian stir-fry, although that’s probably more a compliment to the sauce/oil than the celery.

• Like 1

I’ll make a bit more of an effort to inquire about beers (for sure next Indian Market Dinner @ Colonnade) and see what, if anything, they can offer that’s more matched to the cuisine.  Thanks for the input, folks.

Hi shark b8:  Thanks as always for sharing your adventure.

And wow, thanks for the tip!  I never thought about adding beets to a burger.  I'll have to try that.  🙂

Mrs. Sharkbait, lincslady and I make at least 3 of us...

lincslady: celery does have fiber (you know, those long threads that always get stuck in your teeth). 

cruiseej: I agree about local food.  We watched two boats unload fresh Dungeness crab for hours and hours last year in Prince Rupert, but none of them showed up on the ship (Odyssey).     

And talking about beers - try to get a porter or stout...   On the other hand, in 2019, Quest sailed from Scotland before crossing the pond and picking us up in Miami.  They had 15 single malt Scotches in The Club! 

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

• Like 2

DT, you mention another area in which I find myself in a minority - single malt scotches.  Every few years, I say to myself, “Self, you ought to give Scotch another try.”  Always ends the same way, with me buying more bourbon.  Couple fingers on ice, that’s talking my language.  And speaking of that, in 2018, as it happened we put the cruising on hold and did a couple of long road trips, including one from New Orleans to Milwaukee, planned around being in Indianapolis for the 500 (the ol’ check mark on the bucket list thing).  Anyway, doing the “Bourbon Road” in Kentucky was a lot of fun, highly recommended.

• Like 2

Talking of celery and peanut butter, one of the greatest sandwiches I ever had  was camembert, peanut butter and celery on granary bread. They used to make them back in the 1970s in a little lunchtime cafe just off Hanover Square in London. Sounds demented, tastes divine. If anyne wants to try it at home, you should be generous with the camembert and peanut butter and slice the celery quite thinly and scatter throughout. 

Sorry to go ot

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 1

don't mind beets  - but I can just about try and eat anything. Will draw the line at tripe and Andouillette (shudder); though have managed to brave Italian style tripe in tomato sauce when it was served at a dinner party.

• Like 3

The “beets” category for me has no equals, but close seconds might include tripe for me too.  Decades ago we bought “picnic stuff” from a German deli, and came to find out one meat we bought was blood sausage.  Have not had it since.  Don’t think I’m a remotely picky eater, but there are a couple of things, up with which I will not put.   🙄

Edited by shark b8
  • Haha 2

Weather has turned on a dime…or an Aussie ten pence, or something.  The last two days in Sydney were very hot, some reporting the temp touched 100ºF.  Today, we came back in from Patio lunch to warm up, rather than cool down.  And we’re bouncing around rather nicely.  Here’s what it sounds like on the veranda…pretty impressive.

• Like 5

We love Beetroot as we call it in Aus.  A salad sandwich is not the same with out it and an Aussie burger is not Aussie with out it (IMO).  I boil it, bake it, make relish from it, grate fresh over salads, make soup from it and cured salmon in it - delicious. 

On the other hand celery is only good in soups and casseroles - I think it was the years of peanut butter on celery in my lunch box that ruined it for me.

I hope you have your seasick meds with you - where you are heading can get a bit rough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

Weather has turned on a dime…or an Aussie ten pence, or something.  The last two days in Sydney were very hot, some reporting the temp touched 100ºF.  Today, we came back in from Patio lunch to warm up, rather than cool down.  And we’re bouncing around rather nicely.  Here’s what it sounds like on the veranda…pretty impressive.

I should see the ships Doctor about that breathing.

• Haha 1

It’s not a burger without beetroot. Apparently it’s now a superfood! Note the buns are also different - never a sweet brioche style.

Try a Balter XPA beer while in Australian waters - shouldn’t be hard to find one, it’s on tap in most places.

Keep enjoying the new experiences!

12 hours ago, shark b8 said:

DT, you mention another area in which I find myself in a minority - single malt scotches.  Every few years, I say to myself, “Self, you ought to give Scotch another try.”  Always ends the same way, with me buying more bourbon.  Couple fingers on ice, that’s talking my language.  And speaking of that, in 2018, as it happened we put the cruising on hold and did a couple of long road trips, including one from New Orleans to Milwaukee, planned around being in Indianapolis for the 500 (the ol’ check mark on the bucket list thing).  Anyway, doing the “Bourbon Road” in Kentucky was a lot of fun, highly recommended.

Since you are bouncing around...

I'm with you on Bourbon.  Mrs. DTtravelers and I are hoping to complete the "Big Three" next year: Bourbon on Antarctic glacier ice, Bourbon on Alaska glacier ice, and Bourbon on Arctic glacier ice.  

If we ever end up on the same ship together, I'd be up to the challenge of finding you a Scotch you might enjoy.  The range of Scotch is huge compared to Bourbon.  But if you would be unwilling to forgo ice, I would never be successful.  Just 1 drop of water in Scotch completely changes everything, and ice ruins it altogether...  (my opinion only, other opinions may vary)

As far as beets, I would NEVER try to convert you.  I used think that I liked all vegetables except rutabegas.  Then we spent some time in Cornwall and I really enjoyed the pasties.  We got a recipe and it included swedes.  I didn't know what those were so I looked them up when we got back to the states, and discovered that swedes here are called... rutabegas!

Smooth(er) sailing!!

btw: celery, peanut butter and raisins: ants on a log.  The grandkids love 'em.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

….hoping to complete the "Big Three" next year: Bourbon on Antarctic glacier ice, Bourbon on Alaska glacier ice, and Bourbon on Arctic glacier ice.  

We’ve done 2 out of 3!    (Arctic will be a little tougher)