Non-refundable cruise change question.

sm3ds

Why shouldn’t the refundable rates be more? To be honest I wish they would increase refundable even more or just do away with them to keep so many people booking cruises they don’t really intend to go on. I know several people that book several a year then cancel down to one. 

1 hour ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Why shouldn’t the refundable rates be more? To be honest I wish they would increase refundable even more or just do away with them to keep so many people booking cruises they don’t really intend to go on. I know several people that book several a year then cancel down to one. 

That was the reason for making suites non refundable. Too many suites that are in sort supply being tied up. 

I wouldn't mind if the deposit was non refundable but I do have issue with the penalty for changing ship or sailing date. I think just making the deposit non refundable without the other penalties would solve the issue of people making multiple bookings and then canceling. How much money would people want tied up that they can't get back? 

I thought I'd provide and update. Maybe it will help someone in the future. I was able to change my cruise back to the Holy Land cruise. I was charged 100 change fee, but not another 100 dollar change fee.

In short I changed from a 12 night cruise in May to an 8 night cruise in August back to a 12 night cruise in May and only incurred one 100 pp change fee. Unfortunately the price of the cruise went up about 200 dollars pp since my original booking. I thought about waiting until after the PIF  next month to see if the price dropped. I'm not that familiar with Royals pricing and I was kind of in a hurry to get everything planned out with flights and hotels.

As far as the drink package I was able to add the drink package and the refreshment package for my 18 year old son. I still find it strange they insist teenagers book unlimited drink packages in Europe. I feel it should be optional without having to add on any beverage package. If an 18 year old can just drink water in the USA why can't they in Europe?  I'm not sure either package makes financial sense, but it sure is convenient. 

I'm not sure why I didn't get charged twice, but I went from a 900 dollar deposit to a 500 where they penalized the cruise fare and I didn't pay anything additional, back to a 900 deposit and they wanted me to pay an additional 100 pp to reserve the cruise. I went ahead and paid the whole thing off since payment was due in 3 weeks anyway. 

Edited by sm3ds
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:57 AM, Biker19 said:

Because the drinking age for sailings out of Europe is 18, not 21 like out of the US.

Yes I get that, but I don't believe other cruise lines allow you to book one for under 21 even in Europe. I know NCL doesn't and on Disney the guardian has to sign a consent for 18-20 year old's to drink in Europe. 

I doubt many parents buy unlimited drink packages for their teenagers. It seems like a money grab by RCCl forcing you to buy a refreshment package if you want the drink package yourself.

You probably disagree, but that's how I see it. 

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but that has little to do with the age of the customers. 

The majority of cruisers in that age group aren’t likely paying for their own cruise. Royal has to know most parents aren’t going to buy their teenagers drink packages. I’m actually surprised Royal would want teens drinking that much alcohol. It’s bad enough that some adults over due it.

1 hour ago, sm3ds said:

I’m actually surprised Royal would want teens drinking that much alcohol.

Again, age or consumption pattern probably has little to do why RCI has set up their policy that way - it is a way to generate revenue.