Tender in Belize

iknbrgr

2 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

We have been to Belize 3 times but have never gotten off the ship. Wife gets sick on tenders if its not a short smooth ride.

How unfortunate. That new Port Coral will be great for her.  It IS a long tender ride otherwise.

Does she do okay at places like Half Moon Cay?

In Belize on the Vista in roughly two weeks.  I know that the ruins and cave tubing take roughly an hour to travel to once you get on the mainland.  With that travel time and the length of time it could take to get on a tender boat, I am thinking we will do a Carnival excursion.

Can I ask which Carnival excursion everyone would suggest for first timers to Belize? We are game for just about anything except scuba and ziplining.

7 minutes ago, jsglow said:

How unfortunate. That new Port Coral will be great for her.  It IS a long tender ride otherwise.

Does she do okay at places like Half Moon Cay?

Yes they go slow and its not that far. We once took a ferry from st thomas to st johns. She didn't do very well on that though.

On 1/7/2023 at 1:29 PM, jsglow said:

I'm really looking forward to Port Coral. I think it's a brilliant way to partially overcome their natural barrier reef situation. Of course it is unthinkable to cut a deep channel through that magnificent natural wonder. But by establishing a dockable Cay that is an attraction unto itself (and employing the locals of Belize City mind you), a certain significant percentage of the sailing population simply won't need or opt for the tender to shore that will operate from that facility. (I believe the longer term plan is to connect it to the mainland via a couple of causeways; we'll see about that.) It should be an overall boost for the Belize economy and many more (and larger) cruise ships will be able to call. 

I believe that is a Royal Caribbean facility not general cruising.   So Carnival and other cruise ships may still tender.  But until the causeways are completed, you dock, take a 5-10 minute tender vs 20 minutes.  

10 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I believe that is a Royal Caribbean facility not general cruising.   So Carnival and other cruise ships may still tender.  But until the causeways are completed, you dock, take a 5-10 minute tender vs 20 minutes.  

It's a private development. No affiliation with RCCL directly but with piers big enough to handle an Oasis Class. Agree that tendering will continue but many pax will simply stay at the 'port' facility.

Edited by jsglow

Wife and I have taken a few private excursions in Belize.  We are not priority anything, but I do not recall ever having an issue getting to our pick-up point in Belize at a decent time.  Do try to get as early a start as you can.  Listen for instructions on how and when and where to queue up for the ride from the ship to shore, and you should be fine.  Also, prepare for long lines in the stairwell as they may snake up at least one deck.  Depending on the type of tour, the tour operator will probably wait for late-comers, but the time spent on the excursion may be adjusted.

I do admit I usually turn green on the trip from the ship to the port.  I was expecting once they switched over from tenders to water shuttles that my stomach would no longer be affected.  Alas, it was not to be.