Rome Pre-Cruise - Help Me Pick!

BlueCattleDog

Hi All,

I am suffering terribly from analysis paralysis.  I keep reading more and more reviews, rankings, cruise critic posts, guide books, and on and on.  I'm sorry, please don't kill me for one more "wHaT hOTel in RoME?!" post.  I've narrowed it down to two hotels, please help me pick.

This is our first Med cruise, and first trip to Europe for most of us.  We've done a ton of cruises in the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama Canal.  I (42F) am taking my mother-in-law and her two friends (all in their early to mid 70s).  We will be staying 2 nights, pre cruise in Sept 2023, booking 2 rooms.  For our dates, I've noted total cost per person below.

Hotel Artemide (~455pp total for 2 nights)

Hotel Demaso (~378pp total for 2 nights)

Which would you choose, and why?

Thanks so much!  I'm just getting started researching and its overwhelming.

Edited by BlueCattleDog

We have not stayed at these two but the location of Damaso looks better.   Easy walk to Pantheon and P. Navona.  Medium walk to vatican.    We stayed at Albergo Abruzzi and loved our view of the Pantheon from our room.....

• Thanks 1

Both are good choices. To evaluate which would be "best", what criteria are important to you? Location (e.g., is proximity to the Vatican more important than proximity to the Colosseum and Forum? What do you intend to see in your two days, and will you be on foot?). Hotel amenities? Access to the train station/major transportation hubs?

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks all for the questions.  Important criteria for us is probably walkable to restaurants, interesting location, cleanliness and quality of the hotel.  We're planning to take a couple tours with transportation so doesn't need to be walkable to the main sites (Colosseum, Vatican, etc.) but would be nice to be walkable to something, especially for low key activities on the day we arrive.  We are a group of 4 total, including me.  Only one of the four has been to Rome and on a Med cruise before.

Edited by BlueCattleDog

2 hours ago, BlueCattleDog said:

Thanks all for the questions.  Important criteria for us is probably walkable to restaurants, interesting location, cleanliness and quality of the hotel.  We're planning to take a couple tours with transportation so doesn't need to be walkable to the main sites (Colosseum, Vatican, etc.) but would be nice to be walkable to something, especially for low key activities on the day we arrive.  We are a group of 4 total, including me.  Only one of the four has been to Rome and on a Med cruise before.

Both hotels will be well run and clean. Both have rooftop terraces. Both have excellent reviews.

I would favor Hotel Damaso myself, for two reasons:  1) they are under the same management as Albergo del Senato, which has long been my favorite hotel in Rome and has always seemed well run to me with friendly and efficient staff, good breakfast, etc.. 2) if you're looking for an interesting location and walkable to restaurants, I think Hotel Damaso is better located, between Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori, an area full of restaurants, bars, shops, and pleasant piazzas with much to see; safe to stroll in the evenings. 

• Like 1

We are staying at the Hotel Damaso in June for all of the reasons cruisemom42 has mentioned.  I booked directly with the hotel and have e-mailed them a few times with questions and they have been just wonderful.  They were accommodating with questions I had about the rooms and booked the junior suite.  We do look forward to staying there.