Getting from Boston to cape liberty

bedfordmom

24 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

Thinking of taking a TA from cape Liberty. Coming from Boston but returning from Rome so don’t think I can leave the car there. Any train or bus suggestions?

Amtrak from Boston to Newark Penn Station.  Taxi or Uber from there to Cape Liberty.  

Better IMO to travel the day before and spend a night in NJ prior to your cruise.

If you have a couple of days available before your cruise take Amtrak to New York Penn Station, stay in Manhattan for a couple of nights and then take Uber, Lyft or a car service from Manhattan to Cape Liberty.  

You can also fly from Boston to EWR,  then Uber to the port.

Edited by njhorseman

6 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

Any suggestions of hotels close to

port?

There's nothing very close to the port, but lots of hotels a 15 to 20 minute drive from Cape Liberty. There's a cluster of 5 hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth adjacent to The Mills at Jersey Gardens outlet mall, including an Embassy Suites, Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott. there are some adjacent chain restaurants

If you're taking Amtrak to Newark Penn Station there's a Doubletree by Hilton attached to the station by an enclosed walkway so you wouldn't need transportation to get to your hotel. You can Uber from the hotel to Cape Liberty the morning of your cruise. The Ironbound neighborhood near Newark Penn Station is home to numerous good Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilian restaurants, if that would be appealing to you.

• Like 1

My daughter goes to school in Boston and Amtrak is great, book early for the best rates, there are many trains every day. I’ve driven and flown, but train is my favorite. I’d also recommend the doubletree and local restaurants.