PK Travel Tour - 1/2 or full day Athens and Private or Semi Private?

Bellablue

Hello, we are first time visitors to Greece and our 15 year old son is particularly excited about Athens.  He loves greek mythology and history.   From reviews, we see that PK is exceptional but I'm trying to figure out if we should do the 1/2 day or full day and private vs semi private. There are only 4 of us. (I haven't reached out for cost yet.). I envision my son having a lot of questions and comments.  As far as 1/2 day vs full, I see the main differences I can tell are the following....thanks for sharing your experiences!  (Note: We are in port from 7am - 6pm and would likely want to explore a bit, try greek foods, wines, shops, as well. ) 

• Catholic Cathedral, Neoclassical Trilogy (30m)

• Greek Agora & Roman Agora (1h30m)

• Plaka for lunch (2h)

I would definitely do the full day if you want time for lunch and a little shopping in the Plaka district and I personally think the semi-private is fine. When we went, the small bus held about 18 people so a nice size group 

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering a cruise that ends at Athens.  If we did a half day, with P K,  and ended at the Plaka.  And if we wanted extra time to wonder around on our own, would that work out?   How far is it to taxi back to the Airport Hotel.  Or, should we do the full day, and hope our driver would be helpful getting around the Plaka, choosing the best foods, and that kind of thing?

If Bella could post the cost if she gets any quotes, that would be great.  We are only two of us, and the cost of a Private tour might be too high.   But, we would rather go that route if we can.

Go on the PK website and check prices or email them and get a quote. There is no obligation. Another equally good company is George's Taxi. Get quotes from them too.

taxigreece.com 

The ride from central Athens to the airport hotel is between 30 minutes and one hour depending on traffic.

and our 15 year old son is particularly excited about Athens.  He loves greek mythology and history.

In that case check out the website for the National Archaeolgy Museum, but be aware it is huge with really interesting exhibits in every room, and a full day could easily be spent here, possibly even two or more if someone wanted to.  We much prefer it to the newer Acropolis Museum which we only visited once and we spent much less time in it. The National Archaeology Museum we have visited twice and would happily return a third time should we ever find ourselves back in Athens.

Edited by edinburgher

7 hours ago, edinburgher said:

and our 15 year old son is particularly excited about Athens.  He loves greek mythology and history.

In that case check out the website for the National Archaeolgy Museum, but be aware it is huge with really interesting exhibits in every room, and a full day could easily be spent here, possibly even two or more if someone wanted to.  We much prefer it to the newer Acropolis Museum which we only visited once and we spent much less time in it. The National Archaeology Museum we have visited twice and would happily return a third time should we ever find ourselves back in Athens.

I agree.  The National Archaeology Museum in Athens is terrific.  Whereever you travel in Greece, there is a local archaeologic museum, where they show you artifacts from local sites, "exdept the best pieces have been hauled away to the National  Archaeology Museum."

However, it is not huge.  Maybe 60 to 80 rooms.  Nowhere close to the national museum in Paris, Washington, London, Berlin, Vienna, etc.  It is doable in a day.