HAL’s not so free balcony upgrade promo

retird

The new promo offered by HAL is not exactly a deal.   Last week I was looking at a repositioning through the Panama Canal cruise and a balcony was $3339. Canadian per person.    When i received the promo email today, I checked the same cruise and the oceanview is $5124. Canadian and you get the balcony upgrade for the same not so good price of $5124.    Surely their marketing dept. must know we are not that stupid.  

• Like 4

Reminds me of the promotion Dunkin Doughnuts had years ago:

"Buy any half dozen Dunkin Doughnuts at the regular dozen price and receive a second half dozen; free!".

A lot of people ordered a dozen doughnuts and wondered why it was full price. The guy at the counter would open the box, point and say, "There's your free half dozen". This was met with much bewilderment. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Not surprising.

HAL's current pricing models with Advantage Fare, HIA, and Cruise Only pricing is further complicated by whether or not you want to select your cabin in each of these categories.  So 6 different fare possibilities that change with each promo.  Even what is included in the HIA can change from one promo to another.

One thing I have learned as most other cruisers know - nothing is free.  You are paying for it somewhere.