Angle balcony - warning!!!!

welove2cruise*

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The deck plans I have for the Escape says the angled balconies has a capacity for three passengers.

Whenever a cabin is booked for less than the labeled capacity, the passengers can be moved to another cabin to allow someone to book that is in need of a cabin with the higher number of beds.

At that point, the status of the life boat station capacity comes into play. The cabin being rebooked at the higher capacity will need to still have space for passengers.

Good rule to follow, never book a cabin that can hold more then your number of passengers in your reservation.  If one does book a larger capacity cabin that required by one's party, there is always a chance that you will be moved without notification.

We only have 2 

• Like 1

I'm booked in 11802 on the Joy. From the deck plans, it's a "Priva Sea" cabin that's "enclosed." but based on photos from the ship, it just looks to have a larger partition between its balcony and the angled balcony next door. Maybe 11802 has a slight angle in the corner? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

5 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

One more question...  Any idea how often this happens?

We don’t know, but from being on this board for many years I’d say that being moved from a room like this is very rare.

Of course, only a small percentage of cruisers are on here, but given that this site is often sought out by people with a complaint, and the frequency that other things are mentioned in comparison I really don’t think that this is something that happens often.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PATRLR said:

You aren't alone - I agree I've read "it's in the contract" many times myself and just accepted it.  And I believed this one too but started wondering if they could downgrade you within a class (e.g. higher balcony class to lower).  I then started wondering what the wording was and could they even move you from, for example, a balcony down to an inside or something silly like that.  So I broke down and read it.  It's annotated so easy to skip over irrelevant sections.  I couldn't find where it says they can move me, other than upgrades.

I realize that I am an exception, but I actually read the contract before making a reservation. Okay, “paranoid” may be more accurate than “exception.”

While it does state they can move you for an upgrade at their discretion, it doesn’t actually say they cannot move you for any other reason. It does also state that the fare paid is for transportation on the named vessel and does not imply that one has a right to a specific cabin one had selected, other than they have to right to collect the applicable fare for your chosen cabin. Doesn’t say they have to give you that specific cabin, though. 

The wording is such that a challenge to being moved (other than an upgrade) would have to involve legal proceedings of some sort to iron out exactly what is authorized. I can make a valid argument for either side as to what the cruise line may be legally entitled to do in this situation. 

I still think they should call you and tell you about it, regardless of contract language. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 9:10 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Ship?

Sorry yes the Escape. Please understand I realize things happen. I think I am most upset by the fact I feel I am being lied to and completely ignored. I had the same cabin booked for next year and now have moved cabins. 😔  If we did not have 2 additional FCC credits to use we would just cancel next year. I do think I need a new TA. I have booked more than a dozen cruises with him and he has no interest in going to bat for us. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, welove2cruise* said:

I do think I need a new TA. I have booked more than a dozen cruises with him and he has no interest in going to bat for us. 

If the travel agent messed up, that would explain the lack of communication, the lack of NCL doing anything to help, and the lack of assistance from the same travel agent.

I booked 2 large aft balconies side-by-side for a transatlantic with the family. Found out at the pier that one cabin was moved 5 decks up, mid port side "because of a problem with the cabin".

In quotes because it was a lie.

Turned out it was given to a single passenger who decided to stay on B2B(found out from the room steward). 

After muuuch arguing, I got my cabin back, just after sailaway.  My main argument was that if I wanted NCL to pick the cabin, I would've saved some money booking a guarantee. I was Platinum at the time, not that it mattered.

Just because they can do it, doesn't mean they should.  But NCL quite possibly will.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 4:54 PM, phoenix1181 said:

I have to say it never occurred to me someone could/would search reserved cabin occupancy numbers.  I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. 

FWIW, I choose my cabin based on it's proximity to the elevators because of mobility issues.  Is there any consideration under those circumstances?  If so, who would I need to contact?

As a recent widow, I have a hard time choosing my cabin near my family unless we book really early. If a cabin sleeps more than two, I cannot book it.  I hate it, but understand it. And I am sure I would be moved if I was allowed to book.

10 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

I booked 2 large aft balconies side-by-side for a transatlantic with the family. Found out at the pier that one cabin was moved 5 decks up, mid port side "because of a problem with the cabin".

In quotes because it was a lie.

Turned out it was given to a single passenger who decided to stay on B2B(found out from the room steward). 

After muuuch arguing, I got my cabin back, just after sailaway.  My main argument was that if I wanted NCL to pick the cabin, I would've saved some money booking a guarantee. I was Platinum at the time, not that it mattered.

Just because they can do it, doesn't mean they should.  But NCL quite possibly will.

Good for you that your pursued it and got your cabin back.    I would have been livid to hear that they gave it to a last minute B2B passenger.  

Edited by vacation44
Adding more
  • Like 1