Angle balcony - warning!!!!

welove2cruise*

35 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Well seeing as you seem to be so familiar with it, does the contract allow them to downgrade me with no compensation?  If I book a BA, can they change me to a BF?    How about a B6 down to a BA, can they do that?  If so, then I guess they can down me to a BX.  But, if BA to BF is not allowed, then neither should BA to BX.

Please read and understand the information that is on the NCL website about booking conditions and that you agree to when booking a cabin.

For additional help, find an experienced travel agent.

Moving to a cabin in the same category (cabin,  perks are different) is not a downgrade.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Having said that, it would be better to move someone who was in an ordinary balcony rather than an angled one, but if it is done by the system then it probably doesn’t even know there is anything special about that cabin.

Not only does the system not know, sometimes whoever made the deck plan doesn't know.

On Joy's deck plan (for ex), there are a couple of places that show an angled balcony but it's off by one stateroom. What looks to be angled isn't and what looks to not be angled is.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Well seeing as you seem to be so familiar with it, does the contract allow them to downgrade me with no compensation?  If I book a BA, can they change me to a BF?    How about a B6 down to a BA, can they do that?  If so, then I guess they can down me to a BX.  But, if BA to BF is not allowed, then neither should BA to BX.

As others have stated, I know NCL can do this. The real question is, should NCL do this. If they were a corporation that acted with integrity, they wouldn't. Unfortunately we all know NCL has no ethics, integrity, honesty, whatever when it comes to dealing with passengers (and probably their crew/vendors). I wish I didn't love the NCL onboard experience. I wish other cruise lines didn't act with impunity. Then I'd pick their line to sail on. For now, I'm stuck with Frankie boy and his minions.

So, to answer your question from an ethical point of view, yes you should be compensated if the room YOU selected is changed by Norwegian. Of course, it shouldn't get to that. NCL shouldn't change your room. For any reason, except mechanical or safety reasons.

Ugh...NCL!

33 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Moving to a cabin in the same category (cabin,  perks are different) is not a downgrade

Maybe not "techincally", but they're still screwing the customer who paid extra to choose a particular cabin. That customer could have paid less by choosing a guarantee cabin and have NCL choose the cabin...which is essentially what NCL did in this case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last winter we are snapped up an angle club balcony suite for a cruise in February 2024.    We specifically picked this cabin based on its location and would be very disappointed if it were changed.   Yes, I know NCL has the right to change our cabin, but if they do, I would appreciate the opportunity to then again hand pick our cabin.  Yes, I know NCL has the right not to let us. 

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

A different answer is almost guaranteed if you do that.

Its still unlikely to be the correct answer though. 🙂

For sure, I don't believe the answer they got for a second.  They might not end up getting the truth, but at least they could get someone that handles it better if they do the classic HUCA.  Maybe helps them get a new room that's more suitable or something.

16 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Read the contract.....they can change your cabin .

11 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

it also means that NCL could move you to a standard room as in this case.

7 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

but NCL are quite within their rights to move someone to another room within the same category.

6 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

The contract terms that no room is guaranteed i

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

.but they can change your cabin for any reason and they don't need to tell you that reason.  

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Whenever a cabin is booked for less than the labeled capacity, the passengers can be moved to another cabin to allow someone to book that is in need of a cabin with the higher number of beds.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just to be absolutely clear, I’m not saying that it is right that NCL can do this, just that they can, 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

As others have stated, I know NCL can do this.

A bunch of you claiming to know that the contract says NCL can move you.  I've looked at the contract and I can't find anything other than they reserve the right to UPGRADE you.  Not move in same category.  Nothing about move in same category becuase youroom sleeps three and your party is only 2.  Can any of you point me to the language that supports your claims?

I'll help..  Here is a bunch of terms:  https://www.ncl.com/downloads/docs#traveldocs

This is the Guest Contract:  https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL_Guest_Ticket_Contract_12_2022_FINAL.pdf

Edited by PATRLR

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

It doesn't matter what you think. Read the ticket contract and  terms and conditions that you are agreeing to when you book.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Please read and understand the information that is on the NCL website about booking conditions and that you agree to when booking a cabin.

Well, You seemed to know the contract, that is why I asked you specifically.  I've since gone and read the contract and I don't see where it says what you claim it says.  So, I will ask again, seeing as you seem to know the contract so well, can you point me to where it says what you claim it says?

@PATRLR I'm the first to admit....I never read the contract, and being that it's 15 pages, I never will read the contract.

After many years of reading posts, I've come to blindly accept "it's in the contract".

If there's a lawyer in the house, maybe there's an overdue class action lawsuit.....if I got bumped from an angled balcony to "anything" I'd be uberangry.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL_Master_GTC_CE_ENG_11012021.pdf

10. Changes and cancellation by us
(1) Pre-departure changes:
a. Changes to advertised and confirmed holiday arrangements sometimes have to be made both before and after bookings are confirmed. Most changes to confirmed bookings will be insignificant and we have the right to make these. Where an insignificant change is made before departure, we will notify you in writing. No compensation is payable for insignificant changes. Insignificant changes are likely to include (but are not limited to) a change of confirmed cabin to another within the same cabin category or higher, airline, flight time of less than 12 hours, departure airport to another serving the same city, airport of destination or aircraft (if advised).

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@PATRLR I'm the first to admit....I never read the contract, and being that it's 15 pages, I never will read the contract.

After many years of reading posts, I've come to blindly accept "it's in the contract".

If there's a lawyer in the house, maybe there's an overdue class action lawsuit.....if I got bumped from an angled balcony to "anything" I'd be uberangry.

You aren't alone - I agree I've read "it's in the contract" many times myself and just accepted it.  And I believed this one too but started wondering if they could downgrade you within a class (e.g. higher balcony class to lower).  I then started wondering what the wording was and could they even move you from, for example, a balcony down to an inside or something silly like that.  So I broke down and read it.  It's annotated so easy to skip over irrelevant sections.  I couldn't find where it says they can move me, other than upgrades.

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL_Master_GTC_CE_ENG_11012021.pdf

10. Changes and cancellation by us
(1) Pre-departure changes:
a. Changes to advertised and confirmed holiday arrangements sometimes have to be made both before and after bookings are confirmed. Most changes to confirmed bookings will be insignificant and we have the right to make these. Where an insignificant change is made before departure, we will notify you in writing. No compensation is payable for insignificant changes. Insignificant changes are likely to include (but are not limited to) a change of confirmed cabin to another within the same cabin
category
or higher, airline, flight time of less than 12 hours, departure airport to another serving the
same city, airport of destination or aircraft (if advised).

Thank you.  FWIW that document is old (11/2021).  The one I pointed to is newer (12/2022).  I can't find that same section in the 12/2022 document (which quite frankly surprises me).

When I have a few more minutes I'm going to see what my latest reservation has for T&Cs.

2 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

FWIW that document is old (11/2021).  The one I pointed to is newer (12/2022). 

The OP booked 15 months ago (Oct. 2021?). It's possible that the terms were different then but I can't find the previous one. There were many "Covid-ish" changes made so it's difficult to pin down what was in place when the OP booked. 

8 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

We don’t know why they would. There are plenty of possibilities, but we can only speculate.

I don’t think that anyone would argue that it is a good way to treat their customers, but NCL are quite within their rights to move someone to another room within the same category. It does seem to be fairly rare, but that obviously doesn’t help the OP.

It is something that is worth knowing when you book an angled balcony though. These things can happen, for whatever reason.

If I was the OP I would be on to them to try to get a better room, but the fact that this room was taken from them would suggest that there may not be too many good rooms available.

To me the only legitimate reason to move someone from the room they reserved a head of time would be if something in the room needs to be repaired. I would hope they would offer the OP an upgrade. I am not a big fan of the angled balcony, but clearly this is what they wanted and it is not good to move someone. Even if they have a legit reason NCL should let you know when they make changes to your reservation. The lack of communication from NCL really is inexcusable.

Also, some have theorized that the move may have been because the room was needed for a party of three. The OP is still in a balcony. I thought that all the standard balcony cabins held at least three people?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruising Lynne said:

To me the only legitimate reason to move someone from the room they reserved a head of time would be if something in the room needs to be repaired. I would hope they would offer the OP an upgrade. I am not a big fan of the angled balcony, but clearly this is what they wanted and it is not good to move someone. Even if they have a legit reason NCL should let you know when they make changes to your reservation. The lack of communication from NCL really is inexcusable.

Also, some have theorized that the move may have been because the room was needed for a party of three. The OP is still in a balcony. I thought that all the standard balcony cabins held at least three people?

I don't disagree with your first point at all.

Regarding the second point, I did suggest earlier that it may be due to lifeboat capacity (there are different capacities for different areas). That was speculation, but it could be a reason why people got moved, even if the room they were in holds the same number as the new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Not only does the system not know, sometimes whoever made the deck plan doesn't know.

On Joy's deck plan (for ex), there are a couple of places that show an angled balcony but it's off by one stateroom. What looks to be angled isn't and what looks to not be angled is.

Do you know which cabins on Joy are incorrectly noted as angled?  I'm booked in 10346 which I thought was angled.  On my invoice it says "This cabin has an enclosed balcony".  I assumed that was an error since it seems an odd place for an enclosed balcony.  I'd appreciate any info you have.  Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Katie H said:

Do you know which cabins on Joy are incorrectly noted as angled?  I'm booked in 10346 which I thought was angled.  On my invoice it says "This cabin has an enclosed balcony".  I assumed that was an error since it seems an odd place for an enclosed balcony.  I'd appreciate any info you have.  Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure but.....

4 hours ago, hallux said:

Correct, except if you're a party of 3, there are no rooms available that will accommodate your party and there is a party of two in a room that will sleep 3 and there's a room for two available.

I have to say it never occurred to me someone could/would search reserved cabin occupancy numbers.  I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. 

FWIW, I choose my cabin based on it's proximity to the elevators because of mobility issues.  Is there any consideration under those circumstances?  If so, who would I need to contact?

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'm not 100% sure but.....

Thanks.  Looks like 10346 is probably also shown incorrectly as angled 😒.  But better to know now than not until we board.  Now to find out if it really is an enclosed balcony.  I may be moving cabins but it is B2B so need to get same for both legs.

6 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Everyone keeps saying they can move you to the same cabin category.  But, just the fact that they are picking your cabin for you seems to me to be a cabin downgrade.  

I can book a "guarantee" category and let NCL pick my cabin, or, I can book a higher category and pick my own.  As soon as they decide to move me, without allowing me a choice, I think they've downgraded me to "guarantee" and I think they owe me the difference.  The problem of course is determining what that difference is, unless you captured that information at the time you booked. 

THIS!!!  You paid more to pick a room, if they are going to move you and pick your room for you then you should be refunded the difference that you paid to pick your own room!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, phoenix1181 said:

I have to say it never occurred to me someone could/would search reserved cabin occupancy numbers.  I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. 

FWIW, I choose my cabin based on it's proximity to the elevators because of mobility issues.  Is there any consideration under those circumstances?  If so, who would I need to contact?

I’d suggest reaching out to the accessibility team, there’s a link to the relevant info at the bottom of the main webpage. I won’t post the link I found as I’m on the European website so it’d be a different url. 

1 minute ago, eileeshb said:

I’d suggest reaching out to the accessibility team, there’s a link to the relevant info at the bottom of the main webpage. I won’t post the link I found as I’m on the European website so it’d be a different url. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

THIS!!!  You paid more to pick a room, if they are going to move you and pick your room for you then you should be refunded the difference that you paid to pick your own room!

What's interesting about all this is that picking your own room isn't actually an option in all cases.  For example - if I pick a balcony for the Escape cruise on March 18 the regular balcony selection is guarantee only, but if I pick the Joy cruise from Miami on March 11 I can select an actual stateroom.  This is just looking at the NCL site, I suppose booking through a TA may unlock the option to pick a room yourself.  On the Joy cruise there IS a ~$50 up-charge to select a different room based on location and deck that you pick. 

Even more interesting - when I booked a Studio on that same Escape cruise I WAS able to pick my cabin in that category.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1