Valencia with Viking

millybess

Many cruisers here have said great things about Valencia. We had an excursion booked with Viking — Treasures of Valencia — but the excursion has been cancelled because the silk museum will be closed on the day we are there. 

We are looking for other things to do there, besides the oceanographic experience in the city of arts and sciences. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, millybess said:

Many cruisers here have said great things about Valencia. We had an excursion booked with Viking — Treasures of Valencia — but the excursion has been cancelled because the silk museum will be closed on the day we are there. 

We are looking for other things to do there, besides the oceanographic experience in the city of arts and sciences. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

When we were there in 2019 (near the end of a TA) one of the included excursions was a shirt panoramic tour on the way into town and then a walking tour that included the market and the Cathedral.  It was very well done. After the tour, one could either return to the ship on the excursion bus or catch the hourly shuttle at the guest’s leisure. 

We spent a month living there in Valencia in 2018 and if this is your first visit, recommend this Viking tour if offered.  If not, I would take the shuttle to town and then walk around, with stops at the Market, the Cathedral, and other points of interest to you. Be sure and have at least a glass (pitcher is better) of Aqua de Valencia - basically a mimosa with gin and vodka in addition to the sparking! 

Too bad the Silk Museum is closed, it’s pretty interesting to tour but it’s still worth a walk around as it fills a whole block.  In fact we had great Aqua de Valencia in a cafe along the street that runs down the left side (as you face the main tourist entrance) of the Silk Exchange. 

If you’re there on a Thursday, the world’s longest running court is worth seeing in action. 
https://www.visitvalencia.com/en/what-to-do-valencia/valencian-culture/monuments-in-valencia/water-court

• Like 1

Amazing!  Thanks Clay. We will take a closer look at the included tour. A pitcher of Aqua de Valencia sounds perfect to me.  😀

I just looked at your link and I would love to see that!!! That is soooo up my alley. I’m immersed in Spanish language lessons so I might even understand it. Unfortunately we’re in Valencia on a Monday in March.  But we will be on an extended trip in May in Spain, so you have given me something to research to see if I can find something comparable during our travels. 

Thanks so much!

Edited by millybess
Edited by millybess

44 minutes ago, millybess said:

Amazing!  Thanks Clay. We will take a closer look at the included tour. A pitcher of Aqua de Valencia sounds perfect to me.  😀

I just looked at your link and I would love to see that!!! That is soooo up my alley. I’m immersed in Spanish language lessons so I might even understand it. Unfortunately we’re in Valencia on a Monday in March.  But we will be on an extended trip in May in Spain, so you have given me something to research to see if I can find something comparable during our travels. 

Thanks so much!

Just paying it forward.  If you’d like to see  what we did during our three weeks in Valencia in 2018 here is a link to my first blog post after we arrived. The other two follow after it.

Sorry that due to storage costs I had to delete a lot of the photos, but you will be able to see how we spent our time. 

https://cruisinwithclay.wordpress.com/2018/03/24/valencia-week-one/

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

A similar tour of the city laundry exists in Mumbai. (I'm convinced that spell check was invented so we could amuse each other! )  Cheers! 🍺🥌

Indeed, one has to translate spell checks shirt-comings 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just paying it forward.  If you’d like to see  what we did during our three weeks in Valencia in 2018 here is a link to my first blog post after we arrived. The other two follow after it.

Sorry that due to storage costs I had to delete a lot of the photos, but you will be able to see how we spent our time. 

Agree with Clay. We also lived there for a month. Don’t miss the central market or Jamon!

• Like 2

If you can , get a tour that takes in the City of Arts and Sciences with fabulous buildings designed by Santiago Calatrava and Felix Candela.

BTW Santiago Calatrava also designed the World Trade Centre "Oculus" Station in NYC

Santiago Calatrava Explains How He Designed the Oculus For ...

• Like 2

We loved the Viking Included.  Driving by the arts and sciences buildings was intriguing but we only saw it from the bus.  The main tour was walking within the walked city.  Loved  it.  We had the option of staying after tour as the guide pointed out where the shuttle bus back to the ship would be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arlowood said:

If you can , get a tour that takes in the City of Arts and Sciences with fabulous buildings designed by Santiago Calatrava and Felix Candela.

BTW Santiago Calatrava also designed the World Trade Centre "Oculus" Station in NYC

There is a great tour of the Opera House that we did during our three weeks in Valencia. As I recall, it is at least an hour long and then we enjoyed spending more time walking through the other buildings and grounds.  If this is your first visit to Valencia, I suggest letting the drive by surffice and spending time in the old part of the city.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

A similar tour of the city laundry exists in Mumbai. (I'm convinced that spell check was invented so we could amuse each other! )  Cheers! 🍺🥌

I read this as being the opposite of a "Shirtless Panoramic Tour". 😁

Google for ‘Valencia Art and Architecture Tour’. It is a walking tour of the city with an English speaking guide. It covers many of the sites recommended by Clay including the stunning food market. The tour lasts approx 31/2 hours and costs 45€ per person. Book it online. You will not be disappointed and will have time after the tour to explore this lovely city on your own.

19 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks Clay and everyone for your sage advice.  We have booked the first available included tour so that we have maximum time afterward to explore on our own.... 

Clay thanks especially for the Las Fallas pix -- sadly we will miss that by a week. 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:57 PM, Clay Clayton said:

I just finished reading about your time in Valencia Clay.  It really sounds wonderful and we can hardly wait to spend time there.

It was surprising to read about the statues being burned after the celebration.  They were so beautiful and obviously a lot of time and effort had been spent.

I liked your description of the Silk Exchange which was one thing we were looking forward to during our trip and we were disappointed that it would be closed the day we are there.  But we will be looking out for the Tillenes.  Wow — that was a lot.  We’ll also be in search of the Agua de Valencia.

The dinner you hosted for the Canucks sounds lovely!!  If you and Mike are ever up this way……..🙂

On 1/10/2023 at 6:00 AM, arlowood said:

This is something we would definitely like to do if we can determine how much time we have on our own after the included tour.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:47 AM, TayanaLorna said:

We loved the Viking Included.  Driving by the arts and sciences buildings was intriguing but we only saw it from the bus.  The main tour was walking within the walked city.  Loved  it.  We had the option of staying after tour as the guide pointed out where the shuttle bus back to the ship would be.

Thanks!  Your post convinced us.  We would like to have an overview of the city, but want to spend time touring on our own afterwards.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 4:18 PM, friendlyfifer said:

Google for ‘Valencia Art and Architecture Tour’. It is a walking tour of the city with an English speaking guide. It covers many of the sites recommended by Clay including the stunning food market. The tour lasts approx 31/2 hours and costs 45€ per person. Book it online. You will not be disappointed and will have time after the tour to explore this lovely city on your own.

Thank you.  That's a good tip and we will look into that.  I see it is offered by Viator.  

2 hours ago, millybess said:

I just finished reading about your time in Valencia Clay.  It really sounds wonderful and we can hardly wait to spend time there.

It was surprising to read about the statues being burned after the celebration.  They were so beautiful and obviously a lot of time and effort had been spent.

I liked your description of the Silk Exchange which was one thing we were looking forward to during our trip and we were disappointed that it would be closed the day we are there.  But we will be looking out for the Tillenes.  Wow — that was a lot.  We’ll also be in search of the Agua de Valencia.

The dinner you hosted for the Canucks sounds lovely!!  If you and Mike are ever up this way……..🙂

The burning is pretty incredible-all over town!  And then the big one in the center plaza is the big finale. We went (as I think you saw) to our neighborhood one, but didn’t fight the crowds to go to the big one-we watched it on TV.  It basically was like Times Square in NYC on New Years Eve, thousands and thousands of partying folks!

Where is “up this way?”

1 minute ago, millybess said:

Toronto.  My Mike said we would surrender our kitchen to you and your Mike.  😀😀

LOL.  No current plans but we did have an enjoyable time in 2019 when we spent  a few weeks at the Beach near Hamilton so you never know!