Pan American Pier in San Juan - What's it like?

Irene225

Though we are experienced cruisers, this is our first time sailing out of San Juan. What is the terminal like? Is there an indoor waiting area? Seating? AC? Thinking about check in tomorrow and the time we should choose. Generally we like to arrive at an earlier time but I also despise the crush of people that happens when everyone arrives earlier than their scheduled time. What is the mood there? Thanks!

http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

Which pier is my ship docking at?

http://www.langland.org/cruises/graphics/sanjuan.gif

1. There are three major pier areas in San Juan. Old San Juan Piers 1-6, Navy Frontier Pier, and the Pan American Pier as seen above.
  2. In general, those ships who are dayporting in San Juan usually dock at the OSJ Piers (usually Pier 3 or 4) so you can walk right out into OSJ.
  3. Cruise ships that start in San Juan will use either OSJ Pier 4 (4-E or 4-W) or the Pan American Pier (PAD-E or PAD-W). Rarely, the Navy Frontier Pier is used.
  4. For more information about the piers in San Juan, please visit the Continental Shipping Website.

Edited by RSWBADGER

1 hour ago, Irene225 said:

Though we are experienced cruisers, this is our first time sailing out of San Juan. What is the terminal like? Is there an indoor waiting area? Seating? AC? Thinking about check in tomorrow and the time we should choose. Generally we like to arrive at an earlier time but I also despise the crush of people that happens when everyone arrives earlier than their scheduled time. What is the mood there? Thanks!

IME, an early time actually seemed quieter. With the late sailaway (8:30pm), many people arrive on mid-day flights or spend the day in OSJ. The time I sailed out of PR, I arrived to the port around noon and barely stopped walking right onto the ship. I plan to arrive around the same time in March.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

IME, an early time actually seemed quieter. With the late sailaway (8:30pm), many people arrive on mid-day flights or spend the day in OSJ. The time I sailed out of PR, I arrived to the port around noon and barely stopped walking right onto the ship. I plan to arrive around the same time in March.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate your help!

53 minutes ago, RSWBADGER said:

http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

Which pier is my ship docking at?

http://www.langland.org/cruises/graphics/sanjuan.gif

1. There are three major pier areas in San Juan. Old San Juan Piers 1-6, Navy Frontier Pier, and the Pan American Pier as seen above.
  2. In general, those ships who are dayporting in San Juan usually dock at the OSJ Piers (usually Pier 3 or 4) so you can walk right out into OSJ.
  3. Cruise ships that start in San Juan will use either OSJ Pier 4 (4-E or 4-W) or the Pan American Pier (PAD-E or PAD-W). Rarely, the Navy Frontier Pier is used.
  4. For more information about the piers in San Juan, please visit the Continental Shipping Website.

Thanks. I know the pier (it was in my post), my question was about the terminal it self.  @richyak answered my question. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sorry that you are at that pier instead of old San Juan.  Pan American pier is out of it.  You will need a taxi to get there.  

12 hours ago, Irene225 said:

I’m not sorry. 

No need to be sorry.  For SJ embarkations the Pan Am pier works great. Are you doing a pre cruise hotel stay? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Irene225 said:

Yep - all set with our plans for that...  just needed the pier info. Thank you!! 

Taxis are plentiful at the airport. There's a taxi stand after you exit the baggage claim area. Get in line, tell the person where your going and that person will hand you a paper with your taxi cost and summons the next cab in line for you. Prices are very reasonable going to the hotels and over to the Pan Am pier. Taxi costs are by zones. 

When returning back to the air port (man that cruise went fast) you are required to go thru the agriculture inspection station. All your checked and carry on luggage has to go thru the screening (very quick process) inspection before you check in with your air line. 

Edited by davekathy

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Taxis are plentiful at the airport. There's a taxi stand after you exit the baggage claim area. Get in line, tell the person where your going and that person will hand you a paper with your taxi cost and summons the next cab in line for you. Prices are very reasonable going to the hotels and over to the Pan Am pier. Taxi costs are by zones. 

When returning back to the air port (man that cruise went fast) you are required to go thru the agriculture inspection station. All your checked and carry on luggage has to go thru the screening (very quick process) inspection before you check in with your air line. 

Hi! I’m from NY and have been to SJU many times. All good on taxis. Just needed the pier info. Thank you! 

• Like 1

Thanks davekathy for the information. We sail out of San Juan in April first time on Celebrity and have only sailed out of PR once before many years ago so any and all information is very helpful You have been reassuring!
Dave and Debbie 

• Thanks 1