Should we even get off in Freeport?

Erreyl

We will be on the Carnival Legend this March and will be in Freeport one day, but only from 7am-1:30pm.  Doesn't look like there is much right at the port (have never been there) so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an excursion that would fit this tight schedule?  I have checked into snorkeling, etc, but there doesn't seem to be time for it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Paradise Cove in Freeport multiple times, as recently as Dec 22, many times from the Pride and a few on the Legend. The snorkeling is great there. It is a small place with kayaks, snorkeling and beach. There are bathrooms and lockers and a snack shack with food and both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.  Some ships have excursions there, but in Dec on the Legend it wasn't offered, so I booked directly with the resort as I had several times in the past. All the times I have been there it was always the last stop and a short day- no problems at all. If you book with the resort, they pick you up at the pier and return you there in plenty of time for ships boarding but not a lot of time to shop- so shop before the excursion if you want to shop. If you book through the resort, there are several packages depending on what you want to do while you're there. I have my own snorkeling equipment, so I book the beach package since it includes beach chair rental. Sometimes there are also ladies offering massages on the beach but not always. It is a natural cove so unless there is a storm it is very calm. As far as the snorkeling goes there are large rocks a distance from shore where there are big fish, eagle rays , small colorful fish, lobsters etc. I am a senior female, and I can swim out there fine but if you are a hesitant swimmer,  you can sometime pay for a small boat to take you out. But there are also several hundred large reef balls close to shore where even small children and nonswimmers can see lots of small tropical fish. But my favorite thing to see there is the turtles, there are lots of turtles in the grass between the reef balls and the distant rocks. It is my favorite place to snorkel in the Bahamas, very peaceful and lots to see underwater. I will be back again on the Legend in April.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, xyzcruiser said:

I have been to Paradise Cove in Freeport multiple times, as recently as Dec 22, many times from the Pride and a few on the Legend. The snorkeling is great there. It is a small place with kayaks, snorkeling and beach. There are bathrooms and lockers and a snack shack with food and both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.  Some ships have excursions there, but in Dec on the Legend it wasn't offered, so I booked directly with the resort as I had several times in the past. All the times I have been there it was always the last stop and a short day- no problems at all. If you book with the resort, they pick you up at the pier and return you there in plenty of time for ships boarding but not a lot of time to shop- so shop before the excursion if you want to shop. If you book through the resort, there are several packages depending on what you want to do while you're there. I have my own snorkeling equipment, so I book the beach package since it includes beach chair rental. Sometimes there are also ladies offering massages on the beach but not always. It is a natural cove so unless there is a storm it is very calm. As far as the snorkeling goes there are large rocks a distance from shore where there are big fish, eagle rays , small colorful fish, lobsters etc. I am a senior female, and I can swim out there fine but if you are a hesitant swimmer,  you can sometime pay for a small boat to take you out. But there are also several hundred large reef balls close to shore where even small children and nonswimmers can see lots of small tropical fish. But my favorite thing to see there is the turtles, there are lots of turtles in the grass between the reef balls and the distant rocks. It is my favorite place to snorkel in the Bahamas, very peaceful and lots to see underwater. I will be back again on the Legend in April.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it and will look into it!

20 hours ago, xyzcruiser said:

Which resort do you book with?

Thanks again!

19 hours ago, xyzcruiser said:

Paradise Cove is the only thing there, not sure if we are allowed to give specific links (deadmansreef.com)

but if not just google Paradise Cove, Bahamas

Thank you, we will definitely check it out!

On 1/22/2023 at 12:50 PM, xyzcruiser said:

On the website it says you have to do a snorkeling safety course with your own equipment??

It is a 10 min talk about rules (not standing on reef, touching coral, and sealife, etc) and explaining the different spots to snorkel and  what to see where., and where the shallow and deep areas are. Think of it as an orientation to the location. 

1 minute ago, xyzcruiser said:

It is a 10 min talk about rules (not standing on reef, touching coral, and sealife, etc) and explaining the different spots to snorkel and  what to see where., and where the shallow and deep areas are. Think of it as an orientation to the location. 

Sounds good!  Thanks for the additional info.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

so I booked directly with the resort as I had several times in the past. 

I'm travling with two young VERY picky children.  I read somewhere that you're not allowed to bring your own food.  Have you seen that to be true, since you've been here multiple times?   I was planning just to pack some easy stuff in our beach bag like muffins, etc etc .  

How far from the port is this?