Roatan Taxis

xtrail

trying to get info on taxi rates , I've seen some on line but a little confused . Are the Taxi fares per trip or per person .

Looking to go from Mahogany Bay Cruise terminal to West Bay area (2 people). 

Appreciate any info if you had experience with Taxi's there.

The last AI saw was from the Mahogany Bay Taxi Association and it was $20 for 1 passenger, $25 for 2 passengers and $10 for each additional passenger above 2.  That's 1 way and  would get you to West Bay/ West End/ French Harbor, I think Gumbalinda Park is about $5 cheaper.

On 1/10/2023 at 1:00 PM, crewsweeper said:

The last AI saw was from the Mahogany Bay Taxi Association and it was $20 for 1 passenger, $25 for 2 passengers and $10 for each additional passenger above 2.  That's 1 way and  would get you to West Bay/ West End/ French Harbor, I think Gumbalinda Park is about $5 cheaper.

I have never seen an “official” Taxi Association rate on Roatan. I thought they were unregulated?

Is this new, or specific to Mahogany Bay which I have never docked at?

I have to admit since I have always assumed they were unregulated from years back, I have never actually looked at Coxen Hole, and either arrange a driver in advance, if we plan to go anywhere, or go to the bar outside the gates for lunch. Good to know if we ever want to be spontaneous!

Edited by c-leg5

@c-leg5  My understanding is that the taxis inside the gate by the shopping complex at Mahoganey Bay have a set rate that they've worked out with the property owners.   Anytime we've been there, we've had an excursion and had to walk over the hill to pick up our ride.  There were taxis out there too and I heard they were a little cheaper or able to negotiate a price.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 3:06 PM, falineg said:

How do you arrange a driver separate from a taxi?

a driver seperate form a taxi? If I am understanding.. there is no way to do this. 

Perhaps you are asking the differnce between a private driver and a random taxi. You can hire english speaking private drivers to accompish any itinterary you wish. One books this ahead with a tour company. Taxi on the other hand are available outside the gate, may or may not speak english and may or may not being willing to sort round trip and may or may not be a price you are willing to pay.  

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Spencer71 said:

Any that you can recommend?

The usual suspects are Bodden and Rony. 

Cleve Tours gets heaps of amazing reviews.  

There is also a new outfit called Roatan Driver,  Jessy and her husband are delightful people getting all kinds of rave reviews.