I feel safe when I cruise, do you?

According to a report issued by The International Council of Cruise Lines, the odds of experiencing any crime aboard a cruise ship are remote. ICCL's report, based on 15 cruise lines' submissions during a three year period (2003-2005), says that there were 206 complains from passengers and crew when more than 31 million people sailed. These include 178 complains of sexual assault, four robberies and 24 missing persons. The report will be presented Tuesday, March 4, 2006 before the before the House Subcommittee on National Security, Emerging Threats and International Relations in Washington, D.C.

The above is safer than my neighborhood.

I believe it's safer than where I work.

For the most part we've never felt threatened while on a cruise. Keep in mind that the news has to report something and since latching onto the Norovirus headline has been after the cruise lines for whatever reason. The news media is like that and they love it when they're provided a front man such as the wife of the missing honeymooner.

According to a report issued by The International Council of Cruise Lines, the odds of experiencing any crime aboard a cruise ship are remote. ICCL's report, based on 15 cruise lines' submissions during a three year period (2003-2005), says that there were 206 complains from passengers and crew when more than 31 million people sailed. These include 178 complains of sexual assault, four robberies and 24 missing persons. The report will be presented Tuesday, March 4, 2006 before the before the House Subcommittee on National Security, Emerging Threats and International Relations in Washington, D.C.

The above is safer than my neighborhood.

The robberies are amounts in excess of $5,000. You can be sure there were more than that. I am not sure it is a fair comparison. You have a city were 2,000,000 people live. If you count them each week that makes it 104,000,000. So if you divide the number who cruised last year by 52 you can compare it to a city of the same size. But anyway I feel safe o a cruise ship....isn't any place safer then Cleveland(sorry I couldn't resist)

I feel very safe on a cruise. I have sailed 13 times and never had a problem.. I feel so strongly about this that I sent emails to both Senator Rockefeller and Senator Byrd asking them why, with all the major issues facing our country today they are wasting time investigating cruise lines. Is it possible that this is something politicians have not been able to control? NBC networks seem to be out to sink the industry with constant coverage. I encourage all of you out there to send emails to your representatives in Congress and ask them why this is so important to them?

I feel no safer or in more danger than any other place I may be. There are nuts everywhere-it's up to each individual to ensure their own safety by staying aware. If you don't get blitzed and start waving money around at home, why would you do it on vacation? There's no assurance ANYWHERE of absolute safety. I don't know why people seem to expect it!

Yes I feel safe on a cruise, partly because I don't get falling down, sleep in the hallway drunk on a cruise. And I think all this "concern" about cruise ship safety is based on the guy and his wife who got literally falling down drunk on a cruise. When you get that way, you make YOURSELF vulnerable to crooks, thieves or perhaps murderers.

I don't feel safe enough to let my kids have the run of the ship.

Well said, I exercise the same caution while on a cruise that I do when I'm at home and I forbid our DS to leave the ship without us and he's 20 years old.

We are in a strange environment and amongst 3000 or more strangers so I say one can never be too careful.

I wouldn't get too riled up about this report. the 178 sexual assaults. People veiw this as rape when most of the time this is not the case. Sexual assault is any unsolicted sexual contact. If I get drunk and stupid and grab a ladues rear or breast it is sexual assault. as for the missing persons. People just don't fall overboard. they get drunk and climb up on the rail and fall over. They get in a fight with other drunk people and may get shoved overboard and they may get off of the ship at a port and not get back on the ship. as for the numbers .000006645% of the 31 million complained. Man that % is so great that it worries me. You go on a cruise and use the same caution and common sense you would use at any other vacation and you have a great cruise. end of story.

It sounds like the cruise companies are not investigating properly and in international waters they don't have to. After the Canadian Couple who were murdered in Mexico it is worrying that those in charge are more concerned about frightening tourists than investigating incidents correctly. In the long run, their tourism industry will suffer because they don't handle such incidents properly.

Just a few comments. 1) On the Sexual Assault charges, those also include overage passengers that had contact with a minor. Even though it would be consentual, it is still grounds for Criminal Sexual Conduct. PARENTS WATCH YOUR KIDS!, TALK TO THEM BEFORE THEY GO. I have seen a lot of younger teens "getting close" to people in the early 20's for alcohol, and I can only imagine where it leads......

2) You are on a public ship with 2000-3500 other people, just like a small towns. Small towns have crime, and a cruise ship has a considerabally less crime rate then a town of 3500 people. Be aware of your surroundings! That simple, if you are not comfortable for whatever reason leave the area.

I feel perfictally safe on a ship. I feel much much safer walking around the ship at night then I would in most of the places that the ship visits!

Well said Hoop. One must be street smart and exercise caution as in any situation where there is is a lot of unknown. I feel safe on the ships but you can be sure I watch for signs of possible trouble. When not sure or a bad situation appears to be set up, call Security and let them evaluate.

Now, Happy Cruising!!!!!!

First of all, and foremost in importance is, don't go to open decks after hours. Sure, the moonlight is lovely, but I only observe this when hubby is with me. Secondly, avoid dark corridors. If you are going to your cabin, go quickly and don't linger.

Secondly, don't fraternize with the crew. This is very important, even though most think it's harmless.

Thirdly, watch your kids. They are not as street smart as you and trust everybody, especially, if they can get a drink from them.

Cruise ship personnel are not trained to investigate crimes for later prosecution and even if they are, I imagine most countries will treat their testimony as eye witness type testimony as opposed to criminal investigition testimony.

Could this be improved, most likely, but it will take International maritime law/treaties to come about. Keep in mind this can take over a decade to be ratified.

Even though I have only cruised a couple of times, I feel safe when cruising. I agree that you must be vigilant and aware of your surroundings always, no matter where you are! I thought that the #'s used in this television segment to be very small when compared to 30 million cruisers. The crime rate is much higher on land than on cruise ships. The media just eats this stuff up and blows it out of proportion, just to scare the general public I think! I would and do encourage people to cruise. I'm a walking billboard most of the time with all my RC gear and sell cruising to whomever I encounter. No where can you vacation on land as cost effectively as on a cruise. I should be a travel Agent:eek: ! So, I say cruise on off into the sunset and enjoy life:D !!! Andros/Tony

Although I do believe that crime on cruise ships is probably lower than in the general population, Time Magazine did an article this week that indicated through their reporter's investigation that the seemingly low crime statistics being reported by cruise lines is not reporting all crimes and thus falsely low.

If this is true (in today's news media - I question everything since news outlets have seem to forgotten the words "balanced reporting"), I would be concerned since I would wonder just how open this can of worms is....

I agree with Nancyquilts. Maybe if all of us on CC go on TV and radio and say how terrible and unsafe cruising is, the rates will come down and all of us here can cruise more times a year for the same cost as one cruise is now. And get to diamond plus that much faster.

How about that for a long sentence.

Archived