Shuttle buses Virtuosa

elmsliebev

We are on Virtuosa in March. Not sailed with MSC before & understand we have to pay for shuttle buses. How does it work? Do you buy in advance or is your cruise card scanned when you get on the bus?

Hamburg - we are there on a Sunday so no little ferry across to the city so we will take the shuttle bus

Zeebrugge - will probably go to Bruges on the coach you can get from outside the port entrance (20e pp return?)

Rotterdam - is a shuttle bus needed or can we walk?

Le Havre - I think I read somewhere that it's a 30 minute walk which we might do if it is a nice day, otherwise is a shuttle bus provided?

In Marseille with Costa once we found that Costa wanted to charge 10e pp but the town council provided free shuttles once you'd walked through the duty free etc - is this the case on any of these ports?

many thanks

Hamburg: totally *not* walkable. MSC Shuttle bus cost is probably slightly more that the cost of an UBER to and from the port, and less convenient. No public transport to/from the port on Sunday. 

Zeebrugge: Best plan, although Blankenburg is just a tram ride from the port and is quite interesting if you don’t fancy Bruges (I do recommend watching the film “In Bruges: before you go!) 

Rotterdam: Not done, but we’re intending to walk it in Feb when we go. I

J

• Like 1

I'm not answering your question precisely but, we just got off Virtuosa about a week ago.

In Hamburg, we did the MSC tour to Lubeck and liked it a lot.  It included a German lunch and beer or soda.  There was a fair amount of walking involved, so maybe not great for the less mobile.

I think a train, cab or coach to Bruges would be fine, or the MSC shuttle if the price is reasonable.  Because we had been to Bruges, we took the MSC tour to Ghent and liked it more than expected.  I'd recommend Bruges for those who haven't been there and Ghent on the 2nd visit.

In Rotterdam, we did the MSC tour to Amsterdam.  We liked it, but more emphasis on pot and adult themes than we would prefer.

No experience with Le Havre, which was our departure point.  We took the train from Paris to Le Harve, but likely too far for a round-trip visit.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

As a previous poster mentioned Blankenberg is a nice place and the tram stop is a short walk from the port gate, turn right out of the port and you will find the stop near a submarine moored nearby.

Rotterdam to the town is walkable, turn left out of the port and go to the road junction, turn left again and cross the road bridge, follow the road on the right hand side which takes you past an open air museum with old railway trucks on a quayside. Continue walking and you will come to a shopping centre. To return just retrace the route, worth looking at Google maps of the route beforehand. There are also trip boats across the river from the the ship moors up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 6:44 PM, elmsliebev said:

In Marseille with Costa once we found that Costa wanted to charge 10e pp but the town council provided free shuttles once you'd walked through the duty free etc - is this the case on any of these ports?

I don´t know any other place apart from Marseille, for sure nothing on this trip. 

Hamburg on a Sunday the MSC shuttle probably is your best choice. 

Zeebrugge you can also take the public bus to Brugge, the stop is close to the port at the church. 

• Like 1