Another Taino Bay..... Last for a while?

Slk1z

There are / have been many topics regarding NCL Breakaway Class ships and Taino Bay DR.

Ever since the Escape parked itself on a sandbar back in March '22  it seems as if NCL has only stopped at Amber Cove with the larger ships.  One would think that DR would do whatever it could to "fix" the port to ensure as it would get as much traffic as possible.    Amber Cove being a Carnival invested port would lead someone to believe the money generated goes back to the cruise line ( a large portion anyways) and Taino bay could use all the revenue it can to help pay off the overall cost and support the local economy.

There was an article written about the port being dredged out and "testing" needed to be done for NCL to return.   Other than that there hasn't been anything that I could find at least regarding as to anything be done at the port.  For awhile I was under the assumption that no one was using Taino bay , this was / is not the case.  

Everyone keeps opening new threads asking if NCL will be stopping soon...  There was hope as the Taino Bay schedule actually listed some of these ships returning for Jan.   However, this past Tuesday the Encore docked at Amber Cove.   Shortly after that NCL now shows up on the Amber Cove port schedule for the BA ships for the rest of the month.  NO, they have not been removed from Taino Bay, but rest assured the ships aren't going to be docking in Taino for the for-seeable future.   

The actual reason for NCL not stopping at this port for the past or the future has eluded everyone.  I do not think we will ever know unless someone from NCL will actually put a statement out....... which , well we know won't happen.

FUN FACT:  Today Jan 12/2023   Royal's Wonder of the Sea's docked at Taino Bay.......  

NCL Encore 169.000 gross ton

Wonder of the Seas : 236, 800....

So it ain't cause she won't fit.....

• Like 3

What I suspect it that NCL’s insurance company has forbid NCL for going to Taino Bay with their large ships after their 2022 ”incident”. Most likely NCL at that time claimed that the conditions of that port were so difficult that their ship got stuck because of that (and not because of ”human error”). Most likely human error would have meant a lesser compensation from the insurance company for NCL than blaming the conditions of the port as human error can be seen as NCL’s own fault whereas port conditions are not something that NCL has authority to. 

Because NCL went with the route of stating port conditions as the reason of the 2022 incident their insurance company has said ”ok, as long as that port is not improved we don’t insure your big ships if they go there”. So NCL mega ships go don’t go there. Even though, as op mentions, other cruiselines much bigger ships go. 

And as other cruiselines big ships can go there the local port authorities at DR Taino Bay do not really see why they should do anything about that port’s conditions.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 3

Then NCL should stop selling these cruises as Dominican Republic cruises. Be proactive and change the  itinerary. So that people can actually book the cruise they want to go on based on ports that the ship ACTUALLY goes to. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slk1z said:

There are / have been many topics regarding NCL Breakaway Class ships and Taino Bay DR.

Ever since the Escape parked itself on a sandbar back in March '22  it seems as if NCL has only stopped at Amber Cove with the larger ships.  One would think that DR would do whatever it could to "fix" the port to ensure as it would get as much traffic as possible.    Amber Cove being a Carnival invested port would lead someone to believe the money generated goes back to the cruise line ( a large portion anyways) and Taino bay could use all the revenue it can to help pay off the overall cost and support the local economy.

FUN FACT:  Today Jan 12/2023   Royal's Wonder of the Sea's docked at Taino Bay.......  

NCL Encore 169.000 gross ton

Wonder of the Seas : 236, 800....

So it ain't cause she won't fit.....

hmm interesting.  Well wondering(sorry for pun) if NCL is limited to how many can stop. But if Encore goes there who really knows.  I have yet to stop at either port.  Might have to book a trip on NCL soon.

I love Harvest Cay the best.

1 hour ago, Slk1z said:

Ever since the Escape parked itself on a sandbar back in March '22  it seems as if NCL has only stopped at Amber Cove with the larger ships.... Rest assured the ships aren't going to be docking in Taino for the for-seeable future.    

Lots of generalizations.

We called at Taino Bay on the Encore after the Escape incident. So, it is not totally off limits.

Edited by BirdTravels

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Lots of generalizations.

We called at Taino Bay on the Encore after the Escape incident. So, it is not totally off limits.

Bird, thanks for that clarification. When was that? You're one of the only ones who has reported stopping at Taino Bay in a larger NCL ship since the Escape incident.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Lots of generalizations.

How long after? ---I'm guessing here but I think an insurance decision was made. That is the only reason I can think of why other MUCH larger ships are docking at Taino and NCL large ships are not. 

1 hour ago, asmit4 said:

How long after? ---I'm guessing here but I think an insurance decision was made. That is the only reason I can think of why other MUCH larger ships are docking at Taino and NCL large ships are not. 

Obviously I'm not Bird, but iirc she's mentioned in one of these Puerto Plata threads that her cruise on the Encore was back in early April 2022, not long after the Escape incident.  She'll of course be able to tell us for sure.  🙂 

I don't recall anyone stating that one of NCL's larger ships has docked at Taino Bay since then.