Help regarding PCR test 48 hours before departure - MSC Virtuosa, Northern Europe from Southampton, UK

Munki78

Hi,

Sorry in advance, as this ended up turning into a bit of a rant! This is our first cruise and thought we'd test the waters with our youngest daughter (6 years) to see if it struck a balance on keeping her entertained while we are on board travelling, enough for her to forgive us focussing our shore days with slightly more cultural theme 😉 (although I'm sure she'll still enjoy some sight seeing!)

Ok, back on topic: MSC's Covid requirements...

We are both fully vaccinated (well, all main shots and boosters that we've been able to get so far, given our ages). So I think we are fine. Unfortunately, our daughter was unable to have her vaccine when they were doing them at school as she has ASD and had a meltdown - so we didn't push the issue at the time (needed to pick our battles!) However, this may come back to haunt us, as we now need to get a RT-PCR or antigen test done for her 4 hours prior to embarkation.

So I have a few questions, if anyone may be able to help, please?

• We are traveling on the Friday 10th Feb, and apparently embarking at 11am (although I guess we can later if we want?) So is the 48 hours from the time the lab actually got around to test it? Or from the time we physically do the test?
  • Which services have people used that were quick and reliable? Presumably this involves going somewhere, doing a supervised test and it being sent off to the lab? Will this be done in plenty of time? I'm guessing there are services that offer a guaranteed time for testing(?) I've searched online and there are mostly results for high-cost labs that look like they are out to skin you!

Ok and just a little rant regarding MSC's wording on their website, which is ambiguous at best, and doesn't offer any sort of guidance on how to go about getting tests. i.e., they state this first:

"Departures to Northern Europe from Southampton:
Antigen self-tests are accepted for embarkation ONLY if guests show evidence of negative test results on an official certificate."

... Ok, I'm taking that as we can embark as long as the negative results are recorded in the NHS app where you can generate a certificate (?) Is this just for people travelling from Southampton? Does this supersede all the other statements that follow it (see below)? As then they go on and discuss vaccination requirements (or lack of), starting with the statement:

"All Guests are strongly encouraged, but not required, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19."

Ok, so it clearly states there that vaccination is not required (personally I wouldn't feel comfortable about that, but I'm focussing on semantics here). Ultimately this statement seems to overrule the previous statement. But a few lines later they say:

"For vaccinated Guests it’s not required (but strongly recommended) to present a negative test.
Unvaccinated guests, guests without a vaccine certificate, or guests who have recovered from COVID-19, ages 5 and older are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR or Antigen test taken 48 hours prior to embarkation.
Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes."

[taken from their website today: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/northern-europe-and-cruises-from-uk ]

So now they are talking about vaccinated guests being recommended to present a negative test (presumably as per the first statement), but that 'unvaccinated guests [...] ages 5 and older are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR...', contradicting their second statement. Make your mind up, MSC! 🙄 I'm no lawyer, but I can imagine MSC could land themselves in a bit of hot water if someone was denied embarkation based on that 'advice'. They were also unable to suggest any test suppliers and simply suggested I checked online.

So I'm hoping someone may have experiences they can share that worked for them! Thank you in advance! 🙂 

Mike.

I read this as an antigen test will do for your daughter (I agree the wording is not clear!) as long as it is certified (not a self-test NHS one). I've not had to do this yet (needed a PCR last year) but I understand Lloyds Pharmacy and Randox offer ones that you can do yourself, send them the results straightaway (by email) and you will get an official certificate back within 3 hours. 

Lloyds also offer instore at some locations. We're in Blackpool and can get them done here.

I'm sure someone with direct experience will be along shortly to provide more info. 

Hope you get sorted and have a great time, we are on in March. 

Edited by elmsliebev

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

I read this as an antigen test will do for your daughter (I agree the wording is not clear!) as long as it is certified (not a self-test NHS one). I've not had to do this yet (needed a PCR last year) but I understand Lloyds Pharmacy and Randox offer ones that you can do yourself, send them the results straightaway (by email) and you will get an official certificate back within 3 hours. 

Lloyds also offer instore at some locations. We're in Blackpool and can get them done here.

I'm sure someone with direct experience will be along shortly to provide more info. 

Hope you get sorted and have a great time, we are on in March. 

Thank you, that's really helpful! I never thought of doing the antigen test through a pharmacy. The do also say:

"Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes. "

So provided they are considered 'laboratory certified' then maybe that's an option. I have a Lloyds just across the road from me, so I may pop in at lunchtime and ask them.

Thanks, yes hopefully someone who has recently been through the same will provide their experiences. Hope you have a good trip in March.

Mike.

1 minute ago, Munki78 said:

Thank you, that's really helpful! I never thought of doing the antigen test through a pharmacy. The do also say:

"Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes. "

So provided they are considered 'laboratory certified' then maybe that's an option. I have a Lloyds just across the road from me, so I may pop in at lunchtime and ask them.

Thanks, yes hopefully someone who has recently been through the same will provide their experiences. Hope you have a good trip in March.

Mike.

The Lloyds website does show what they provide and it would appear they do certificated ones. It's just the basic NHS ones that you can't use. Hope you get sorted. 

We used an at home certified test ordered from Lloyds website  last year when everyone (including vaccinated) had to have one. They email you the result certificate and we printed them off. Very easy to do and no problem getting onboard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kernow said:

We used an at home certified test ordered from Lloyds website  last year when everyone (including vaccinated) had to have one. They email you the result certificate and we printed them off. Very easy to do and no problem getting onboard.

Thank you 🙂 I really appreciate your help 🙂 

I may end up going down that route then. I'm just a bit worried that their guidance changed at the end of the year, and that they are specifically asking for lab certified tests and that 'self-tests' are not valid. The email certificate services say they are valid for travel, but are essentially a rapid antigen self-test with an official certificate sent to you to reflect that result, as far as I can tell. Even some of the supervised (healthcare professional in person or via video) ones are still only rapid antigen tests I think. If I take their guidance by the book, I would have interpreted it as needing to be a test taken via a swab, either by yourself (or possibly supervised) or by a healthcare professional, and sent away to a lab for either a full PCR test or an antigen test. But I'm not convinced that MSC will even notice or care the difference between that and the certificated antigen tests that you're recommending (probably not!)

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has been on this same trip earlier this year (since they made the guidance changes) and had to provide a certificate due to not being vaccinated, and what type they chose.

Thanks again!

Mike.

2 hours ago, Munki78 said:

Thank you 🙂 I really appreciate your help 🙂 

I may end up going down that route then. I'm just a bit worried that their guidance changed at the end of the year, and that they are specifically asking for lab certified tests and that 'self-tests' are not valid. The email certificate services say they are valid for travel, but are essentially a rapid antigen self-test with an official certificate sent to you to reflect that result, as far as I can tell. Even some of the supervised (healthcare professional in person or via video) ones are still only rapid antigen tests I think. If I take their guidance by the book, I would have interpreted it as needing to be a test taken via a swab, either by yourself (or possibly supervised) or by a healthcare professional, and sent away to a lab for either a full PCR test or an antigen test. But I'm not convinced that MSC will even notice or care the difference between that and the certificated antigen tests that you're recommending (probably not!)

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has been on this same trip earlier this year (since they made the guidance changes) and had to provide a certificate due to not being vaccinated, and what type they chose.

Thanks again!

Mike.

There was massive debate about this all last year, MSC are notorious for poor wording, probably because they are an Italian company and everything gets translated into English. 

Basically they recommend everyone is vaccinated, if you are, no tests required. If you are not you are still allowed to travel but must present a certified negative PCR or antigen taken no more than 48 hours before embarkation. By antigen self test (which is not allowed) they mean one that you have done yourself and have not got certified. Certified ones (Lloyds, Randox etc) are fine.

• Like 2

We had to do tests for our cruises on Celebrity last year. These were rapid antigen tests and we went to our local DAM health. Generally we had the results back by email by the time we got home from the testing centre.

Within 48 hours means that the sample has to be taken within 48 hours (for Celebrity, it means at least 2 days prior to the day of embarkation, not  48 hours from the moment of embarkation). So, a test on Thursday was fine for embarking on Saturday. It is not the time a PCR sample is received by the lab.

On a related note. We’re on the same cruise with an 11am check-in. The ticket says that we should check in within an hour of our check-in time. I’m sure they’ll let you on if you arrive later but just FYI. 

Last time we were on Virtuosa we both caught Covid, so hoping for better luck this time!

J

On 1/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, Munki78 said:

Hi,

Sorry in advance, as this ended up turning into a bit of a rant! This is our first cruise and thought we'd test the waters with our youngest daughter (6 years) to see if it struck a balance on keeping her entertained while we are on board travelling, enough for her to forgive us focussing our shore days with slightly more cultural theme 😉 (although I'm sure she'll still enjoy some sight seeing!)

Ok, back on topic: MSC's Covid requirements...

We are both fully vaccinated (well, all main shots and boosters that we've been able to get so far, given our ages). So I think we are fine. Unfortunately, our daughter was unable to have her vaccine when they were doing them at school as she has ASD and had a meltdown - so we didn't push the issue at the time (needed to pick our battles!) However, this may come back to haunt us, as we now need to get a RT-PCR or antigen test done for her 4 hours prior to embarkation.

So I have a few questions, if anyone may be able to help, please?

• We are traveling on the Friday 10th Feb, and apparently embarking at 11am (although I guess we can later if we want?) So is the 48 hours from the time the lab actually got around to test it? Or from the time we physically do the test?
  • Which services have people used that were quick and reliable? Presumably this involves going somewhere, doing a supervised test and it being sent off to the lab? Will this be done in plenty of time? I'm guessing there are services that offer a guaranteed time for testing(?) I've searched online and there are mostly results for high-cost labs that look like they are out to skin you!

Ok and just a little rant regarding MSC's wording on their website, which is ambiguous at best, and doesn't offer any sort of guidance on how to go about getting tests. i.e., they state this first:

"Departures to Northern Europe from Southampton:
Antigen self-tests are accepted for embarkation ONLY if guests show evidence of negative test results on an official certificate."

... Ok, I'm taking that as we can embark as long as the negative results are recorded in the NHS app where you can generate a certificate (?) Is this just for people travelling from Southampton? Does this supersede all the other statements that follow it (see below)? As then they go on and discuss vaccination requirements (or lack of), starting with the statement:

"All Guests are strongly encouraged, but not required, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19."

Ok, so it clearly states there that vaccination is not required (personally I wouldn't feel comfortable about that, but I'm focussing on semantics here). Ultimately this statement seems to overrule the previous statement. But a few lines later they say:

"For vaccinated Guests it’s not required (but strongly recommended) to present a negative test.
Unvaccinated guests, guests without a vaccine certificate, or guests who have recovered from COVID-19, ages 5 and older are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR or Antigen test taken 48 hours prior to embarkation.
Tests must be laboratory certified. A rapid antigen self-test is not valid for travel purposes."

[taken from their website today: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/northern-europe-and-cruises-from-uk ]

So now they are talking about vaccinated guests being recommended to present a negative test (presumably as per the first statement), but that 'unvaccinated guests [...] ages 5 and older are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR...', contradicting their second statement. Make your mind up, MSC! 🙄 I'm no lawyer, but I can imagine MSC could land themselves in a bit of hot water if someone was denied embarkation based on that 'advice'. They were also unable to suggest any test suppliers and simply suggested I checked online.

So I'm hoping someone may have experiences they can share that worked for them! Thank you in advance! 🙂 

Mike.

Hi Mike,

We were in exactly the same position for our cruise a few weeks ago on MSC and did a lot of research and agree it wasn’t clear. 

We had our NHS certificate showing our vaccine status which was no problem. A test for vaccinated is not necessary and wasn’t asked for.  

Our 7 year old isn’t vaccinated so we had to get a covid test. As we had to fly to Barcelona we got one at the airport through Randox. Effectively we went to their site, they did the same tests you buy in boots for £2 and they send you the results within an hour, it cost us €35. With the results email they send you a certificate with a barcode that shows you haven’t got covid. 

I did look at the Randox self test where you take a picture and upload and they send you a certificate but I didn’t want to take a chance. It costs around £12 and can be done at home. 

As long as you go to a place like Randox, Boots or Lloyds you will be fine as they provide you with the correct certificate. I think they need to know that the test is carried out by a health professional that provides you with the correct certificate. As far as the other tests, for the value of difference in cost I wouldn’t take the chance but not sure if it would be accepted or not. 

As for timescales we were 48 hours on the needle from when the test was done to check in but this wasn’t mentioned. I’d say you’d be fine as long as it is done within 2 days. 

When we checked in they were checked, but had no issues doing it this way. Hope this helps. 

Can I ask a question related to this? The website says that you need a test if you''ve had covid. We both had it in July (on a Cunard cruise). Has anyone been i that situation and have you done a pre-boarding test even though you had covid months ago? 

I think you are reading too much into the wording of MSC's Travel Requirements,

MSC will not know if you have had covid? Unless you test positive on a random test.

As long as you can show your up to date booster Jab NHS Certificate you should be OK

Your daughter will need a test though, taken no earlier than 48 hours before boarding, this can be a self LFT Test taken by a Randox fit to fly test or similar. You use the app and upload the result etc and a Certificate which is accepted by MSC is e mailed to you.  (NHS tests are not permitted)

https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/

Last year when you had to produce a LFT negative certificate, Randox self test with certificate was acceptable on check in.

Edited by LifeonMars

42 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

Can I ask a question related to this? The website says that you need a test if you''ve had covid. We both had it in July (on a Cunard cruise). Has anyone been i that situation and have you done a pre-boarding test even though you had covid months ago? 

We had Covid in July and no questions were asked about previous Covid. it is only relevant if you have had Covid 14 days prior to boarding. I wouldn’t worry about it at all. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 12:04 PM, TheJester said:

On a related note. We’re on the same cruise with an 11am check-in. The ticket says that we should check in within an hour of our check-in time. I’m sure they’ll let you on if you arrive later but just FYI. 

Last time we were on Virtuosa we both caught Covid, so hoping for better luck this time!

J

Ah we are set for an 11am check in too, but won't be able to get there until about 3pm, as I need to pick my daughter up from school at 1 and my partner finishes work the same time. I might give them a call to let them know we will be later, but I did speak to MSC support and they said it doesn't matter, it just may be busier if you turn up later than your assigned time. Apparently as long as we are embarked by 5pm it's fine.

Hope you have better luck this time! I suspect it'll be a hot pot for covid & flu to be honest! We've both had covid and the flu over Christmas time - yeah why they haven't offered boosters to everyone, I don't know! But hopefully that'll keep us clear for the cruise 😉

Thanks everyone for their help. I did end up booking my daughter in for a PCR test at a pharmacy. I'll get one of the cheap home/email certificate packs as a backup, just in case the results get delayed (as Royal Mail is so reliable at the moment...)

When I called MSC support they also confirmed what a few of you are saying - 48 hours means 2 days... they don't care about the time the test was taken or the time you embark.

• Like 1