Cunard v P&O

Presto2

The comments about dancing in the previous post is missing a crucial point - ballroom and Latin dancing is a skill that takes time to learn, as well as fun and enjoyment to participate in, as well as creating enjoyment for people watching. Disco dancing is not a skill that needs any training or learning - and of course people enjoy wiggling round with the music playing - but it is not something that non-participants particularly watch though some choose to watch the more attractive participants in much the same way as people watch others at a beach. Pretty much anyone can jiggle to disco music - but what makes the ballroom special is the very fact that people like to see the result of couples who have taken time to learn to dance well. You can shove any number of people in to a room and play pop songs, and it doesn't matter what the floor is or how big it is, except that the larger the floor the more people you can squeeze into the space.  Ballroom dancing is special, and many people realise the skill and is what makes the difference to real dancing, whether to recorded ballroom and Latin dancing, or to a live orchestra.   It takes a skilled orchestra to play music that couples can move to at their best - if the orchestra is not up to scratch then couples can only move below their best on the floor.  The more skilled couples are, the larger the number of people who come in to watch - on most Cunard voyages the professional ballroom couple will do one or two show dances on Gala nights - and exhibit a very high skill level that usually means the room is packed solid with passengers who love to see dancing at that high level - and something that has always differentiated Cunard from other lines - yes of course there are a lot of people who like the other activities such as quizzes, other music, like jazz or classical piano, zumba classes, or even fencing that used to take place in the ballroom in the daytime.  But activities should remain broad and available as much as possible, and that should include the opportunity to keep real ballroom dancing in the Queens Room to quality music so that those who have the skill can continue to enjoy it,, and at the same time give pleasure to those passengers who cannot dance but love watching others demonstrate their skills. P&O has sadly lost much of the ballroom dancing at high level on their voyages and ships.  I do hope that Cunard doesn't also lose ballroom dancing as well. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, need_a_holiday said:

Hi I have cruised P&O (Australia) and Cunard out of Sydney in the last 12 months.  I liked both cruises but they had their strengths and weaknesses.

Cunard strengths:

* Traditional English cruising events: usually favoured by over 50s but you can enjoyed daily afternoon tea ceremony.  Nightly ballroom dancing to live music and often singing.  Dressing up every evening after 6 and formal theme nights. 

* Food: probably the best food I have enjoyed on a cruise.  Went to Britannia dining most nights but the buffet was also very good.

* Liesurely sports: good facilities for things like lawn bowls and deck games.  Bridge in the card playing room.  Jigsaw table.

* Special performers: some good shows and insight talks.

* Enjoyable places to relax: love the design and furniture in most rooms.  Plenty of options to sit at a table and play cards in the card room or read a book in the library or sit at a window in the yacht club.

* Music: lots of high quality music across the ship.  The full ship big band is impressive.

Cunard weaknesses:

* Poor app: only really good for booking dinners.  Doesn't support onboard messaging or events or notifications.  

* Lack of fun ouside those traditional events: quite noticeable that most evenings there are ballroom events for a couple dozen older couples at time but when they had a rock and roll night and had open dancing on the floor there were a lot more people getting involved and dancing.  Pity they don't do that more often.  Only one kareoke event per week in the smallish Yacht Club.  Not many fun events - the triva and bingo was much smaller than other ships.  Not many big game shows or demos.

* Pricy: on Australian cruises in particular they have daily gratuities and 15% service charge added to all drinks.  Most Australian based cruise ships do not charge either.  Cocktails at US$12 and 15% gratuities are about 50% more than same drinks on P&O at AUD$12.  Most Cunard cruises over AUD$200 per day.  Some P&O cruises as lows a AUD$50 per day.

P&O strengths

* Having fun: excellent cruise director and staff.  Lots of daily events like funny trivia, funny game shows, kareoke nights and competitions.  Lots of chances to dance or sing or play social games.

* Kids entertainment: much better facilities for kids and teens - water slides, thrill events like flying fox, laser tag.  

P&O weaknesses:

* Food: worst food of any cruise line.  Dining room food was a constant disappointment, worse at times than most shore restuarants.  Buffet just blah.  Might have been because they were coming back from covid and staff were rusty.  Extra charge for room service or breakfast in bed.  Had a couple nice meals at the asian restuarant.  Restuarant booking process was a dogs breakfast due to the terrible app.

* Seating areas: just felt like a dodgy design in most areas of the ship with poor seating options and often overcrowded.  Probably only the two main theatres at each end were well designed everything else felt like it was shoehorned into a poorly laid out space.

My understanding is that P&O Australia and P&O UK are different brands and not necessarily totally comparable. However, I agree about the dancing on Cunard.  It's noticeable that on "ballroom nights" - typically 6 nights out of 7 or even 13 out of 14 on a cruise - the dance floor is often virtually empty, while on nights when anybody can have a go it's packed.  I estimate at least 4 times as many people participate when it's not ballroom. This should be telling Cunard something!

Edited by Teddy123
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Teddy123 said:

My understanding is that P&O Australia and P&O UK are different brands and not necessarily totally comparable. However, I agree about the dancing on Cunard.  It's noticeable that on "ballroom nights" - typically 6 nights out of 7 or even 13 out of 14 on a cruise - the dance floor is often virtually empty, while on nights when anybody can have a go it's packed.  I estimate at least 4 times as many people participate when it's not ballroom. This should be telling Cunard something!

The yacht club or G32 are pretty well utilised and 'packed' on many nights outside Gala nights as well as on Gala evenings - so people who want to disco dance get the chance to do so most of the time.   Yes, the same folk will also come into the Queens Room to do it when a band is playing there - and for many it makes little difference whether it is the Queens Room or any other venue - in the past on party nights when it is recorded music in the Queens Room quite often the half dozen entertainment crew members on the floor moving to the music to encourage others to join has regularly not brought others onto the floor in large numbers - so it is the tribute bands and similar that people will jiggle to in that room.  I have also seen on a number of occasions on QM2 a band playing disco music in the ballroom, and a gaggle of people on the floor, but going across to use the bathroom at the entrance to G32 I have seen many more people in G32 to jiggle to the music in there than the number in the Queens Room itself!  On those occasions those who wish to disco dance have two venues available, and the ballroom dancers have none!

43 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

The yacht club or G32 are pretty well utilised and 'packed' on many nights outside Gala nights as well as on Gala evenings - so people who want to disco dance get the chance to do so most of the time.   Yes, the same folk will also come into the Queens Room to do it when a band is playing there - and for many it makes little difference whether it is the Queens Room or any other venue - in the past on party nights when it is recorded music in the Queens Room quite often the half dozen entertainment crew members on the floor moving to the music to encourage others to join has regularly not brought others onto the floor in large numbers - so it is the tribute bands and similar that people will jiggle to in that room.  I have also seen on a number of occasions on QM2 a band playing disco music in the ballroom, and a gaggle of people on the floor, but going across to use the bathroom at the entrance to G32 I have seen many more people in G32 to jiggle to the music in there than the number in the Queens Room itself!  On those occasions those who wish to disco dance have two venues available, and the ballroom dancers have none!

Well, I suppose a repeated description of anything but ballroom dancing as "jiggling" will let readers form their own judgement about at least some Cunard cruisers!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Teddy123 said:

Is this a recent development?  Because it's certainly not what I've observed.

48 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Is this a recent development?  Because it's certainly not what I've observed.

Certainly it seems to vary - on some voyages there are lots of ballroom dancers and few who do disco dancing - and on other voyages there are less ballroom dancers and more disco dancers. On the longer voyages there are more ballroom dancers if my memory serves correctly - though it may be different on the far east voyages compared to European or American or Canaries cruises.

For the 14 nights we were on QM2 there were very few folk dancing in G32. 90% of the time we had the floor to ourselves. We mainly danced ballroom & latin in G32. With a bit of disco when the music wasn't suited to any particular dance.

On Gala Nights in the Queens Room when the band was playing the floor was generally full. On other nights that ballroom/latin music was provided the floor was fairly well used, other than 2 dances where there was only one couple on the floor 😂. Once might have been down to a certain black sequined mini dress, I've no explanation for the other.

But as has previously been stated; those that can't dance are often happy to watch those who can, we spoke to some that were doing just that. It's what spurred us to take lessons 30 years ago.

We sat through a few latin numbers watching a couple who were on another level to us.

There were a couple of nights where party bands or rock/swing music was played. We were able to fit ballroom/latin dances to much of that although there is a problem where untrained dancers position themselves so that ballroom dancers can't pass them.

Youngsters should really be trained to dance disco, classes are available. We often mix; samba, cha cha & jive steps into disco. We don't really go in for "jiggling".

D&N - I concur with your general view of dancing on board.  Though the numbers in G32 do vary between different voyages. There are certainly some fractions of disco/pop music that are pretty suitable for one or other of the ballroom or Latin dances - and I am sure we could all name specific pieces of music from the pop world that are great for a Viennese Waltz, or Rumba or Cha Cha - there is a lovely remix of Adele's Skyfall that makes for a fantastic waltz. There are Elvis songs that work for a Viennese Waltz, and even one of the country music songs (Annie's Song) for that too.

But as you say if people position themselves so that nobody can pass them then you can't do those dances that move around the room - if there is at least 'some' space then you can alter course to aim for the spaces! However we have certainly enjoyed a lot of dancing on board and even occasionally a Viennese in the Yacht Club!

• Like 1

I like watching the dancers in the Queens Room on QV when we're on our way to or from the theatre. From our elevated aspect on deck three. it's quite obvious even to our untrained eyes, there are dancers, and then there are dancers.

There are the compact and seemingly very competent dancers and then there are the  flamboyant ones who fling their arms out and join those who take up a lot of the floor. They  seem to us, inconsiderate of those who just want to dance. This is a holiday, not a branch of Strictly and if the less experienced but enthusiastic dancers  get in the way occasionally of their more competent  fellow dancers, then tough.

• Like 1

Flinging your arms around is inconsiderate irrespective of whether you are a beginner or experienced dancer.  Equally lifting your feet high and stamping them down is equally inconsiderate especially if the heel of a shoe attached to such a foot ends up taking the skin off the shin of someone nearby or crushing someone's toes.  A few years ago on QM2 I was witness to a 'flamboyant'  Latin dancer who threw his arm out during a cha cha New York figure, and promptly hit an elderly frail gentleman's neck who was to the side and behind him - the elderly gentleman was knocked unconscious on the dance floor and needed to be taken to the medical centre by paramedics. That is unacceptable whether the person responsible was experienced as a dancer or not. Flailing and flinging arms, and stamping feet is bad dancing as well as totally rude to anyone nearby. I expect I am not the only one to have witnessed this kind of incident.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo

15 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Do ballroom dancers stamp their feet?

I have stamped mine with great enthusiasm in the Queens room but that was during line dancing sessions.

No, good ballroom dancers do not stamp their feet - and if you include Latin dancers, then even the Paso Doble 'appel' should not be a stamped foot but a scuff on the floor! Bad dancers of any flavour can and do stamp their feet but they shouldn't! Apart from anything else stamping your feet can cause damage to your feet and/or legs and/or hip joints! If you it often and hard it can end up with Plantar fasciitis, which is extremely painful on the soles of the feet - I know a few people who did get that condition.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
add sentence

11 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Certainly it seems to vary - on some voyages there are lots of ballroom dancers and few who do disco dancing - and on other voyages there are less ballroom dancers and more disco dancers. On the longer voyages there are more ballroom dancers if my memory serves correctly - though it may be different on the far east voyages compared to European or American or Canaries cruises.

In Australian/New Zealand waters, in my experience, the dancefloor is quite full for ballroom/Latin styles. That was pre-covid when there were four dance hosts available. I can report on the current state of dancing in a few weeks when I'm on board again.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just back from a trip on Ventura and thought I would give my thoughts on the differences between Cunard and P&O

Breakfast

The menu selection is smaller than on Cunard but all the food was good. Unlike on Cunard they take the juice order at the same time as your main order. One very big plus for P&O is that the toast comes in a toast rack, which gives lovely crispy toast. 

Lunch

Again a smaller selection than on Cunard but everything I had was good. 

Dinner 

There were many items that appeared on the menu everyday so the choice was limited, but all very good. 

The wine list was on two sides of a sheet of card, not the large folder you get on Cunard. 

Bars

The selection of drinks was very limited with very few choice of cocktails or spirits. 

Ventura has a good selection of venues with entertainment on in each, but not as much live music as on Cunard. 

Afternoon tea was only available in the buffet and was self service with quite a queue. 

There is no selection of hot food on the breakfast room service menu. There is a charge for the other items on the room service menu. 

Fruit juice is only available for free at breakfast, any other time you have to pay for it. 

You cannot get food in the pub, but there are four choices of where you can dine and pay extra. 

The entertainment was pretty much the same as on Cunard although maybe aimed at a younger audience. 

The passengers were younger than on Cunard, although I don't know if that is normal or due to the ship going to Amsterdam. 

All in all I enjoyed the trip, but I will not be rushing back to P&O, but that's not to say I wouldn't sail with them again in future. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I'm just back from a trip on Ventura and thought I would give my thoughts on the differences between Cunard and P&O

Breakfast

The menu selection is smaller than on Cunard but all the food was good. Unlike on Cunard they take the juice order at the same time as your main order. One very big plus for P&O is that the toast comes in a toast rack, which gives lovely crispy toast. 

Lunch

Again a smaller selection than on Cunard but everything I had was good. 

Dinner 

There were many items that appeared on the menu everyday so the choice was limited, but all very good. 

The wine list was on two sides of a sheet of card, not the large folder you get on Cunard. 

Bars

The selection of drinks was very limited with very few choice of cocktails or spirits. 

Ventura has a good selection of venues with entertainment on in each, but not as much live music as on Cunard. 

Afternoon tea was only available in the buffet and was self service with quite a queue. 

There is no selection of hot food on the breakfast room service menu. There is a charge for the other items on the room service menu. 

Fruit juice is only available for free at breakfast, any other time you have to pay for it. 

You cannot get food in the pub, but there are four choices of where you can dine and pay extra. 

The entertainment was pretty much the same as on Cunard although maybe aimed at a younger audience. 

The passengers were younger than on Cunard, although I don't know if that is normal or due to the ship going to Amsterdam. 

All in all I enjoyed the trip, but I will not be rushing back to P&O, but that's not to say I wouldn't sail with them again in future. 

Thank you for your review. It has settled a few nerves. We mainly sail Cunard or Viking but have booked a sailing on Azura (Tenerife - Malta). The last time we sail P&0 it was awful. There were people drinking at breakfast, the service was shocking. They actually put a couple off in Madeira for being abusive. That was 2017. I can’t for a second believe the experience can be as bad as the last time. 🤞

4 minutes ago, MWINT said:

Thank you for your review. It has settled a few nerves. We mainly sail Cunard or Viking but have booked a sailing on Azura (Tenerife - Malta). The last time we sail P&0 it was awful. There were people drinking at breakfast, the service was shocking. They actually put a couple off in Madeira for being abusive. That was 2017. I can’t for a second believe the experience can be as bad as the last time. 🤞

Hopefully that was a one off. Apart from the dining room being quite noisy, there weren't any very drink people on this trip. 

On 1/21/2023 at 12:53 AM, gkbiiii said:

The Grilles now include all beverages, correct?

Not always for US and Canadian bookings. It depends on the particular fare offering. Last year we had the drinks package in Princess Grill. Our friend who booked later than us did not. Right now there are three different types of Grills fares available for the Alaska cruise we are taking. One includes the drink package; the other two do not.

Edited by david,Mississauga

16 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Not always for US and Canadian bookings. It depends on the particular fare offering. Last year we had the drinks package in Princess Grill. Our friend who booked later than us did not. Right now there are three different types of Grills fares available for the Alaska cruise we are taking. One includes the drink package; the other two do not.

Why doesn't Cunard offer drinks for Grills for all its bookings?  Most Luxury Cruise Lines offer this. 

5 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Why doesn't Cunard offer drinks for Grills for all its bookings?  Most Luxury Cruise Lines offer this. 

It seems it is a marketing strategy. The cheaper Grills fares do not include the drinks package.  Sometimes the cheaper fares offer no extras at all, such as OBC, which is available on the higher fares. But many times there is only one fare available which includes all the extras. That was the case when we booked the Alaska cruises for last year and this year.