Which Itinerary on Mardi Gras?

1st4our25th

Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk or

Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay 

Trying to decide which to choose for our 30th anniversary, our second cruise. We've only been to Nassau and HMC. Best beaches, excursions, etc. HMC set the bar high for us. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Cozumel is my favorite port, nassau my least favorite so I say the second.

LOl Grand TurK is  one of my my fav. an di like Nassau for the atlantis waterpark  but  mahogony bay was one of my least fav along with amber cove    LOL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cxr133 said:

LOl Grand TurK is  one of my my fav. an di like Nassau for the atlantis waterpark  but  mahogony bay was one of my least fav along with amber cove    LOL

Grand Turk is nice. But I like mahogany bay for the same reason. Free beach. Amber Cove and Costa Maya are basically the same for me. 

• Like 1

We did Nassau, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk.

We went to a private flamingo sanctuary in Nassau (private tour).  Was awesome.  Did the monkey, shopping, city tour in Amber Cove (through Carnival), which was fun.  Did snorkeling and visiting with stingrays in Grand Turk (through Carnival) and it was great (though the water was a bit rough for snorkeling for my seven-year old).

• Like 1

Costa maya has been one of our favorite ports.  Might not be down the road as the place has changed significantly leading up to COVID closure and return to sailing.  We use Nassau as a stay on the ship day and Mahogany Bay as a brief walk off walk on now, although we've enjoyed many of the Roatan attractions and West Bay/West End beaches over the years.

• Like 1

Since you have already been to Nassau, I would recommend the Western route.  Cozumel has great beach clubs and fun shopping downtown and at the port.  Costa Maya is an easy beach day as well.  The port has Costa Maya has gotten more interesting, with a pool, flamingos, etc. mahogany Bay is also a great beach within easy walking distance of the ship.   

• Like 1

Not sure why they can't manage to get the Mardi Gras on a real eastern itinerary (throw in it at least ONE "St" port). 

For that reason, I'd pick the western for sure - and grab a margarita at Pancho's !! Having said that... we're going on her "eastern" run next month, it's just the way the dates worked out (already off work), darn it!

Tom

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Not sure why they can't manage to get the Mardi Gras on a real eastern itinerary (throw in it at least ONE "St" port). 

For that reason, I'd pick the western for sure - and grab a margarita at Pancho's !! Having said that... we're going on her "eastern" run next month, it's just the way the dates worked out (already off work), darn it!

Tom

I agree! I'd love to see MG do St. Martin, St. Thomas & Grand Turk. So we've done western on MG 3 times and only once on the eastern.

• Like 2

I can't explain it, but my wife and I do not care for any of the western routes, not sure why. Don't care for Mexico. Belize is boring, looks like Florida Everglades....been there, done that for a lifetime....Same with many of the Central American ports

We always prefer Eastern with the islands, even though we've seen em all a few times. 

There is something cool about being a "regular" on some island.

You can find decent fun in Nassau between golf, beaches and I really do like Atlantis' water park. Stayed there for a week once.

Edited by EngIceDave
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

You can find decent fun in Nassau between golf, beaches and I really do like Atlantis' water park. Stayed there for a week once.

Speaking of golf, albeit "mini", have you been to Baha Mar? Despite the oppressive heat and no breeze that day, we really enjoyed the place... as well as the pizza and wings there. 🙂 

i-TsHpwJR-L.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 8:06 PM, 1st4our25th said:

Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk or

Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay 

Trying to decide which to choose for our 30th anniversary, our second cruise. We've only been to Nassau and HMC. Best beaches, excursions, etc. HMC set the bar high for us. Thank you!

I'd choose Western although I can find worthwhile things to do at most ports.

You'll have a difficult time finding any beach better than HMC. Gorgeous  clear water and

soft, sandy beach are tough to top. (been to most of the western and eastern ports and have none yet to equal HMC's combo of soft sand and clear water. Some have one or the other but not both. Closest might be Grand Cayman. Bimini in the Bahamas was close too, but the sand at HMC was slightly better)

I love Cozumel for the ton of options there and the wide diversity of beach days available to you there.From quiet AI beach day with limit on people per day (our choice, Nachi Cocum) to a similar beach with a more raucous atmosphere- Mr. Sanchos, a kids beach - Playa Mia, to a similar beach with a little bit of all of the above- Paradise Beach, to beaches on the wilder Atlantic side, smaller, closer hotel beaches, the rocky Money Bar, etc. etc. etc. (check the Cozumel board here for a ton of great firsthand accounts)

I also had a great time in Roatan (getting away from Mahogany Bay. Not a fan of the cruiselines created fake beach tourist trap areas)

Hired a driver beforew the cruise who took us to a few spots we wanted to see, then to a West Bay beach area that had fantastic snorkeling from the shore and gorgeous beaches. (again check the Roatan board in here for a lot of great firsthand info)

Depending if your cruise is during seaweed season or not in Costa May will probably dictate how your day will go there.

There is a nice pool in the fake touristy cruiseline area there. (but no beach area)

Most people take a short cabride into town (Mahahual) and spend a day at one of the beach bars there.

(again check the Costa Maya board in here for firsthand info)

To get more targeted information, it might help people guide your search by laying out what kind of things you'd like to do for excursions at the ports

Do you enjoy lazy beach days, All Inclusive drinking days, snorkeling or more active things, exploring Mayan Ruins, etc.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bguppies said:

I'd choose Western although I can find worthwhile things to do at most ports.

You'll have a difficult time finding any beach better than HMC. Gorgeous  clear water and

soft, sandy beach are tough to top. (been to most of the western and eastern ports and have none yet to equal HMC's combo of soft sand and clear water. Some have one or the other but not both. Closest might be Grand Cayman. Bimini in the Bahamas was close too, but the sand at HMC was slightly better)

I love Cozumel for the ton of options there and the wide diversity of beach days available to you there.From quiet AI beach day with limit on people per day (our choice, Nachi Cocum) to a similar beach with a more raucous atmosphere- Mr. Sanchos, a kids beach - Playa Mia, to a similar beach with a little bit of all of the above- Paradise Beach, to beaches on the wilder Atlantic side, smaller, closer hotel beaches, the rocky Money Bar, etc. etc. etc. (check the Cozumel board here for a ton of great firsthand accounts)

I also had a great time in Roatan (getting away from Mahogany Bay. Not a fan of the cruiselines created fake beach tourist trap areas)

Hired a driver beforew the cruise who took us to a few spots we wanted to see, then to a West Bay beach area that had fantastic snorkeling from the shore and gorgeous beaches. (again check the Roatan board in here for a lot of great firsthand info)

Depending if your cruise is during seaweed season or not in Costa May will probably dictate how your day will go there.

There is a nice pool in the fake touristy cruiseline area there. (but no beach area)

Most people take a short cabride into town (Mahahual) and spend a day at one of the beach bars there.

(again check the Costa Maya board in here for firsthand info)

To get more targeted information, it might help people guide your search by laying out what kind of things you'd like to do for excursions at the ports

Do you enjoy lazy beach days, All Inclusive drinking days, snorkeling or more active things, exploring Mayan Ruins, etc.

Thank you so much for all the info. I didn't even realize there are port specific boards. I will definitely check them out. If Mardi Gras sailed to HMC, that's where I would choose everytime hands down. I know we could choose another ship, but really want to try MG.

We like lazy beach days best. We do not drink. We will be sailing during the month of November. Would love to snorkel or possibly have a dolphin encounter. I'm sure there are amazing excursions out there, I just don't know what they are. I don't want anything with a long bumpy ride or alot of hiking uphill.

20 minutes ago, chrcruiser said:

Forgive me - but where is and what is HMC? Sounds great!

Hi @chrcruiser🙂

Click on the links below.

Half Moon Cay

(Little San Salvador Island)

Information located @:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_San_Salvador_Island

Additional Info @:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/bahamas-cruises/half-moon-cay-cruises.aspx

Half Moon Cay

Carnival-Elation-Half-Moon-Cay-0124.jpg

🍹

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:48 PM, lazydayz said:

not if you walk for a little bit.  Down by Jack’s Shack it wasn’t rocky.  

Here's a second on the GT beach being much better about 300 yards down, near Jack's Shack.  Unfortunately, Topher is gone and some have said the place is not the same.  I'll report back when I visit Jack's Shack in a few weeks.  Hoping for great char-grilled chicken and strong drinks as usual, and that the beach is still great.  Not quite HMC great but close once you walk a few football fields down away from the madness.  If you don't want to be approached by locals selling weed, just stay at water's edge your entire walk down.

• Like 2