Has anyone had success pairing your iPad or iPhone via Bluetooth to the TV to airplay?

SophieM

I’ve been able to get part way there. The title will show on the TV, but the video doesn’t play. Do I need to be on a special channel? Someone posted how to earlier, but I can’t find the post. 😟

Thanks!

Most reliable way to do this is with an Apple lightning AV adaptor.  You also need an HDMI cable to connect the Ipad/Phone to the back of the TV (assuming there is an spare HDMI port).  Most modern TVs have a few.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Lightning-Digital-AV-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=asc_df_B009WHV3BM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309909333117&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3094425367785642268&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007406&hvtargid=pla-404766733399&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

If there isnt a spare HDMI,  then it will have to be airplay.  It sounds like the TV might be pretty old if there are no spare ports,  so connectivity might be a problem as the TV hardware might just be too sketchy to keep up.  That said if you can see the title on the TV then youre half way there.  

If the movie plays on the ipad,  but not the TV,  try looking for a button on the TV remote that will say source or similar.  Click on that and it will bring up a menu.  AV1,  AV2, etc.  Cycle through these as the movie plays on the ipad.  The only other thing I can suggest is speak to the 'I.T.'  crew member on board responsible for this.  They may have a fix.  Azamara has a 'connections' person who helps out with all thing relating to internet etc.   Im sure Oceania will as well. Good luck!  David

Edited by 150edmiston

Ship Riviera …. Utterly impossible, daughter very IT proficient, Wi-Fi just not good enough. Don’t know if TV’s have been replaced in refit so thus could be old news from last August.

Some good advice for home from others however We have a brand new TV and IPad Air. Also fibre optic broadband ….. very quick. However Airplay breaks up and refreshes a lot when watching a movie.  

I asked today on Insignia and was told Oceania as a whole has disabled all ports (hdmi, etc.) and casting/bluetooth to all onboard televisions due to security concerns.  I asked why for one-way hdmi and got same answer.  Televisions are really just large monitors with everything streaming thru ethernet port and television is programmed to disable all other ports and remote control commands. 

I suggest we comment on surveys about lack of hdmi port; maybe survey comments will help future cruisers.

9 hours ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

I asked today on Insignia and was told Oceania as a whole has disabled all ports (hdmi, etc.) and casting/bluetooth to all onboard televisions due to security concerns.  I asked why for one-way hdmi and got same answer.  Televisions are really just large monitors with everything streaming thru ethernet port and television is programmed to disable all other ports and remote control commands. 

I suggest we comment on surveys about lack of hdmi port; maybe survey comments will help future cruisers.

Correct.  They download their own application when the TV starts up.  In the Oceania suite, they have an external blue tooth adapter, but this only connects to the sound system.