New Zealand National Aquarium Napier

Nowcruise5

7 hours ago, Nowcruise5 said:

Would like to visit the aquarium. Transportation from port to aquarium?

As Napier is a working port, you cannot walk through it to the town, so shuttles are provided which takes you to the i-SITE Visitor Information Centre on Marine Parade in the middle of Napier. From there it is about a kilometre walk to the aquarium, a 15-20 minute walk depending on how fast you walk. Or you could perhaps take a taxi or take a ship's tour if available. Alternately there may be tours available at the i-SITE Visitor Information Centre that include the aquarium.

I quickly looked at tours on Viator and there one which started from and included the aquarium . In the information provided it said that the free shuttles from the port would stop at the aquarium - stay on until the second stop.  Viator Tour Napier including Aquarium

Napier Overview

Edited by possum52
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the info on the Aquarium. I see you are from Melbourne. My wife and I are interested in Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary. The ship tour is all booked up. Public transportation takes too much time. Any recommendations for getting to the Sanctuary? Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Nowcruise5 said:

Thanks very much for the info on the Aquarium. I see you are from Melbourne. My wife and I are interested in Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary. The ship tour is all booked up. Public transportation takes too much time. Any recommendations for getting to the Sanctuary? Thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be to take a taxi which would be quite expensive. You could also hire a car for the day if you are comfortable driving on the other side of the road.  How long is your ship in Melbourne? And when? I think you would need 6-7 hours to do the trip to Healesville properly. From the pier it is at least an 90 minute drive each way. 

The ship is in Melbourne from 8 to 5 pm. Might look at renting a car. Although car rentals have gotten expensive. I have some experience driving on the left (New Zealand, England etc.). I noticed that you post often with info on this site. Thank you for sharing information.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nowcruise5 said:

The ship is in Melbourne from 8 to 5 pm. Might look at renting a car. Although car rentals have gotten expensive. I have some experience driving on the left (New Zealand, England etc.). I noticed that you post often with info on this site. Thank you for sharing information.

Perhaps do a dummy booking for a rental car. The nearest rental place is Thrifty in South Melbourne (the next suburb). It will probably cost around $140 for  a small vehicle for the time you would need it. 

Thank you, I am happy to share my experience and knowledge of Aus and NZ. 

• Thanks 2