Britannia - best places to eat for a vegetarian?

Presto2

Hi, I think I have posted this before many moons ago but can't find it !

In May we are taking a friend with us on her first ever cruise. It has been postponed for what seems like forever but we are all now excited as it will be our first cruise since 2019 as well.

She is a vegetarian so can anyone give us some tips on the best places to eat. We are on Britannia so we would usually eat in the speciality restaurants and Glass House as well as the main dining room. Looking at the menus there doesn't seem to be a lot for a vegetarian though. Perhaps it is me but it would be helpful to hear the views of anyone who can help us.

Thanks

We are largely vegetarian (but occasionally eat fish) and while the choice on "standard" menus is rather limited - as is true globally (Geneva is one of the most vegetarian-unfriendly places we've visited) - you should find that the main dining room at least has an additional, separate vegetarian menu if you ask for it.  Still not the same choice as for those who prefer dead animals, but it does extend the options.  I also enjoy the vegetarian sausages and bacon available at breakfast.

Edited by Teddy123
  • Thanks 1

I don't believe they do the separate vegetarian menu any more. They didn't on our trip on Iona in September, or on Britannia in 2021.

I'm vegetarian (and also gluten-free) and Sindhu on both those ships was great for veggies. I have to pre-order all my meals 24 hours before due to being coeliac, this includes speciality restaurants. We were advised to visit those restaurants and speak to the restaurant hosts, so nothing to stop your friend doing that as well, You can check out the menu, then if there is nothing suitable, ask what they can do for you. With 24 hours notice they can amend pretty much anything, or come up with an alternative.

All in all, I would say P&O even without the separate menu has a much better choice for veggies than other cruise lines do.

• Thanks 1

We were on Ventura in October and I thought they did have the vegetarian menu then, but perhaps not (because it could be we just had the option on the standard menu). Shame if it's gone. It was certainly available on Queen Mary 2 in December, although Cunard vegetarian sausages are not as good as P&O's and they don't do vegetarian bacon.

• Thanks 1

Like Britboys I’m not vegetarian but also don’t like to eat lots of meat so seek out vegetarian and vegan dishes more often than not.

We are onboard in a few weeks so I can report back on what availability there is and where (assuming the menus are fairly similar across the fleet).

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Thanks 1

My wife is vegetarian and she ate well on the Iona.  The only fly in the ointment was afternoon tea in the Epicurian.  We didnt give them notice that 1 was a vegetarian so nothing was prepared for her.  The waiter had to go and fetch some sad looking sandwiches and bits and pieces from the buffet afternoon tea.  We got our money back though.

So if you opt for that then let them know at time of booking.

We were on Britannia in March and were told they didn't have a separate Vegetarian/vegan menu any more.

We are vegan and there was one suitable dish each course in the MDRs of an evening. In case we didn't like it the Head Waiter would bring us the following day's lunch and dinner menus to choose from. He would also advise which vegetarian dishes could be made vegan for us.

Speak to the Head Waiter they are very helpful. 

Edited by Sonyar

• Host Sharon changed the title to Britannia - best places to eat for a vegetarian?