Entrance to Haven on the Epic

vacation44

To avoid problems with Haven Guests on the Epic hijacking the elevators (happened a LOT on my September cruise--3 of the elevators were in use for Haven guests.  One time I was even on an elevator going down and the elevator stopped at a random level and said that the elevator was no longer in use and to exit!!!!  This was after waiting a LOOOOONG time for an elevator)  Most of the Haven guests are in forward rooms so the aft elevators don't get hijacked as much!  I wouldn't mind so much if they had one elevator dedicated to Haven Guests, but to have the possibility of all the elevators in use by Haven Guests is just unacceptable!

Not sure what you mean “hijacked’” just got off the epic yesterday in the haven. They had one elevator “special service” for the haven for port debarcation and embarcation and other than that there were never any elevators reserved for only haven guests. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean about hijacked elevators - we were in the Haven on Escape earlier this month, and someone told DH that if you held down the "close doors" key it would make the elevator run express - totally not true.  

5 minutes ago, JesseB said:

Not sure what you mean “hijacked’” just got off the epic yesterday in the haven. They had one elevator “special service” for the haven for port debarcation and embarcation and other than that there were never any elevators reserved for only haven guests. 

Next to each elevator is a keycard sensor.  Haven guests can use that to call an elevator for their exclusive use!  Maybe it has changed since September as MANY guests were really pissed off about it and complained.  September the Epic was full.  Epic being Epic, there are only elevators in the aft and forward areas and not in the mid section.  I was on the Epic in April, no problem (low occupancy) and again in December for the TA (again low occupancy).  I think that the problem arises when there is high occupancy and an urgent need to get off the ship while in port or maybe to dinner.  We complained to the front desk, but don't think anything will come of it.  Again, this happened with high occupancy and prime time elevator usage.  A lot of people gave up and used the stairs--not an option with us being elderly and one of us was handicapped.

Just returned from Epic 8-15 Jan 23.  You are correct about being key card sensors to forward elevators for the the Haven, but they were not active on my cruise for guests.  Only 1 elevator  was used (manned by an Epic crew member) for Haven guests during port days,  1 to 2 hours in AM and 1 to 2 hours PM until final boarding time.  The only key card sensor elevator used was in front of the buffet area port side elevator deck 15 for access to deck 16 and deck 18, both Haven areas.  The elevator on starboard side deck 15, buffet area no sensors.  This cruise was at capacity and according to one crew member the 2 previous cruises were full also.  Made it a very long wait for elevators most times.  Yes I did try using may card on the sensors and always got a red flash except the deck 15 to16 to 18 Haven elevator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsahall01 said:

Next to each elevator is a keycard sensor.  Haven guests can use that to call an elevator for their exclusive use!  Maybe it has changed since September as MANY guests were really pissed off about it and complained.  September the Epic was full.  Epic being Epic, there are only elevators in the aft and forward areas and not in the mid section.  I was on the Epic in April, no problem (low occupancy) and again in December for the TA (again low occupancy).  I think that the problem arises when there is high occupancy and an urgent need to get off the ship while in port or maybe to dinner.  We complained to the front desk, but don't think anything will come of it.  Again, this happened with high occupancy and prime time elevator usage.  A lot of people gave up and used the stairs--not an option with us being elderly and one of us was handicapped.

10 minutes ago, poly1 said:

Just returned from Epic 8-15 Jan 23.  You are correct about being key card sensors to forward elevators for the the Haven, but they were not active on my cruise for guests.  Only 1 elevator  was used (manned by an Epic crew member) for Haven guests during port days,  1 to 2 hours in AM and 1 to 2 hours PM until final boarding time.  The only key card sensor elevator used was in front of the buffet area port side elevator deck 15 for access to deck 16 and deck 18, both Haven areas.  The elevator on starboard side deck 15, buffet area no sensors.  This cruise was at capacity and according to one crew member the 2 previous cruises were full also.  Made it a very long wait for elevators most times.  Yes I did try using may card on the sensors and always got a red flash except the deck 15 to16 to 18 Haven elevator.

Thank you both for providing information.