Recent Haven / Changes / Cutbacks

Aloha.  Thank you for your post. Im interested in the replies from recent cruisers. Sad to say I think the cutbacks will start to affect the premium elements of the various cruise lines.  Thank you again.

Just now, FLcruisergrl said:

Just sailed the Haven in December. The only cutbacks I noticed were on the menu. Primarily the steak and eggs at breakfast is no longer a filet. Service-wise, it’s the same as always.

But can you request the filet the night before?  That was the procedure for us on the Joy this past February.   

6 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

But can you request the filet the night before?  That was the procedure for us on the Joy this past February.   

That’s my understanding. I’m hooked on the banana pancakes, so I didn’t get around to trying the steak and eggs.

This has been gone through quite a bit on CC.

There are cutbacks fleet wide and I witnessed it on Escape week before Christmass.

'Alcohol choices have been limited and prices have gone up from beer and wine to liquor.

The special restaurants are restricting appetizers and removing pricier items from there menu.

28 minutes ago, Boschmann said:

Saild Epic Haven in Med early December.  There was a very noticeable shortage/lack of bar servers in the Haven lounge, grill and pool areas.  More details are in my Cruise Critic review linked in my signature. 

Will read your review now.  Thank you for taking the time to post it.  

We sailed on Getaway's Haven from 12/31 - 1/8. It's true that the filet is no longer available for steak and eggs (on the menu) as it has been unavailable for quite some time. 

Yes, you can still request a filet the night before. You'll have your filet and eggs. This is what my husband did. The shrimp cocktail is still an off menu item that is happily made available if you ask. The standard order contains three shrimp. That is not enough for a small child of five years old. Go ahead and order more. My husband ordered between seven and 13 pieces. He received them each time. I always pre-order two crab cakes for breakfast to replace the ham on Eggs Benedict. I was able to get my Crab Cake Eggs Benedict with no problem, except that I had to explain to the maître d what the heck I wanted done. 

I realized last night that I should be ordering a crab cake to go on the burger at lunch. In March, I'll be requesting a crab cake a day ahead to be added to a lunchtime burger. Mmmmmm...I can't wait.

The only food cutback I noticed: the pork belly appetizer now has two pieces of pork belly. In September, there were three pieces. I did scroll through my photos to my April cruise and realized in April I was only served two also. Of course you can always ask for more pieces of pork belly too! 

We did hear from one crew member that cutbacks make that person embarrassed to do their job. It was apparent how pained this staff member was to tell me this and how it impacted them doing their job. So they are unable to do their entire job due to cutbacks on the ship. I felt very badly for this person knowing that more cutbacks will be coming.

I have not noticed any other cutbacks in the Haven....yet. I know it's coming! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We sailed on Getaway's Haven from 12/31 - 1/8. It's true that the filet is no longer available for steak and eggs (on the menu) as it has been unavailable for quite some time. 

Yes, you can still request a filet the night before. You'll have your filet and eggs. This is what my husband did. The shrimp cocktail is still an off menu item that is happily made available if you ask. The standard order contains three shrimp. That is not enough for a small child of five years old. Go ahead and order more. My husband ordered between seven and 13 pieces. He received them each time. I always pre-order two crab cakes for breakfast to replace the ham on Eggs Benedict. I was able to get my Crab Cake Eggs Benedict with no problem, except that I had to explain to the maître d what the heck I wanted done. 

I realized last night that I should be ordering a crab cake to go on the burger at lunch. In March, I'll be requesting a crab cake a day ahead to be added to a lunchtime burger. Mmmmmm...I can't wait.

The only food cutback I noticed: the pork belly appetizer now has two pieces of pork belly. In September, there were three pieces. I did scroll through my photos to my April cruise and realized in April I was only served two also. Of course you can always ask for more pieces of pork belly too! 

We did hear from one crew member that cutbacks make that person embarrassed to do their job. It was apparent how pained this staff member was to tell me this and how it impacted them doing their job. So they are unable to do their entire job due to cutbacks on the ship. I felt very badly for this person knowing that more cutbacks will be coming.

I have not noticed any other cutbacks in the Haven....yet. I know it's coming! 

Thank you for the tip about shrimp and crab cakes.  I will definitely include that in my notes for our upcoming trip.    Not for me though as I do not care for seafood, but my family does.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boschmann said:

Saild Epic Haven in Med early December.  There was a very noticeable shortage/lack of bar servers in the Haven lounge, grill and pool areas.  More details are in my Cruise Critic review linked in my signature. 

Really disappointing to read about the lack of bar service.   As is, my two young adult children and husband will miss having a DBH.    And we are used to excellent service in the Vibe and do expect the same in the Posh.  

6 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Has anyone sailed recently and have firsthand experience with changes or cutbacks. Have you enjoyed a perk previously in the Haven and now it has been impacted?

17 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

And we are used to excellent service in the Vibe and do expect the same in the Posh.  

Actually no. We had excellent service in the Haven. No perceived cutbacks. No perceived changes. The bar service in the lounge was excellent. In fact, after the first day, the bartender would be making our favorite beverages with just a nod from me as we walked toward the bar. Didn't spend much time on the sundeck, but there were servers available when we were there. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. 

I am happy that they added lobster to their menu and we added a lobster tail or two to every evening meal. (And rather than ordering the surf and turf which had a small filet and lobster, we ordered the large rib eye steak and a couple of lobster tail). I see mention of filet for breakfast, and that has been gone for a while. I had zero problem with the NY strip steak for breakfast. 

Also, the Posh Club is not a Vibe. It is the complimentary (free, no charge) sun deck for the Haven and you will get similar service to other Haven sundecks with the added benefit of having a bar on the sun deck. 

• Like 1