Has NCL Done Away With Dress Up or Not Day/Norwegian Night Out for Picture Opportunities?

Starrgazer50

Going on the NCL Escape 7 Day Caribbean cruise in July to Celebrate 1st Anniversary.
Someone just came off that cruise and said there wasn’t a Dress Up or Not or Norwegian Night Out evening. It’s been a few years since I’ve been on a cruise and wanted to know if things changed. I know they’ve been cutting back on ship activities, but hard to believe they don’t see this as a money making opportunity anymore.🤔

I do believe I saw photographers almost every night on my last few sailings (getaway, Prima, breakaway). But there was not a designated night for "dress up or not" listed in the daily as there was in the past. Or maybe I missed it. I recall seeing people dressed up several nights and not one night stood out to me as having significantly more people dressed up than other nights.

• Like 1

Agree with @reeinaz's experience. Each night different folks may choose to dress up and wander around in search of photographers, who are very much present around the ship. There wasn't a designated night though, and I've heard through Cruise Critic posters this went away, possibly pre-pandemic. 

BTW - howdy neighbor! 

• Like 1

July is a long way from now with the current "status quo" and trifecta/winter surge going on.  

Until NCL revert and update its policy of "isolating and protecting" the bridge team, the captain isn't going to be out & about, as much as some of them are very outgoing and will be available for photo ops in the atrium/lobby & other areas. 

One can always book those portrait sessions onboard with the photo staff and on the last 3 cruises, we've seen folks were dressed up for those photo sessions - but not others and certainly not in the MDR.  Check again as the sailing get closer.  

• Like 1

To answer the question posed,

NCL hasn't changed anything. You are free to "Dress Up or Not" on each and every single night of your cruise. YOUR CHOICE. Dressing up will never be required. Ship's photographers are also always available to capture a portrait if you desire. Many ships now even have a dedicated photography studio for those portraits or you can still find photographers stationed around the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

To answer the question posed,

NCL hasn't changed anything. You are free to "Dress Up or Not" on each and every single night of your cruise. YOUR CHOICE. Dressing up will never be required. Ship's photographers are also always available to capture a portrait if you desire. Many ships now even have a dedicated photography studio for those portraits or you can still find photographers stationed around the ship.

The question posed was "wanted to know if things changed." And the answer is, apparently, "yes, they have changed, NCL no longer promotes a specific dress up or not night".  But, as you stated, you can always dress up on any night that you want to.

• Like 1

Correct. Things have changed. Norwegians night out was the title for the night, usually the first sea day, where guests were encouraged to dress up. You could get pics with the captain and I think it was sponsored by Skyy or Svedka and you could get $1 off drinks.  This has been done away with and you are free to dress up or not on any night of your cruise. Have a good July cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

This has been done away with and you are free to dress up or not on any night of your cruise. 

But were you not free to dress up or not on any night of the cruise before? And now? And in fact, have you not been permitted to "dress up or not on any night of the cruise" since freestyle started?

"Norwegian's night out" was a theme party...nothing more. There was NEVER a dress code for this party that was any different than any other night on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, reeinaz said:

I do believe I saw photographers almost every night on my last few sailings (getaway, Prima, breakaway). But there was not a designated night for "dress up or not" listed in the daily as there was in the past. Or maybe I missed it. I recall seeing people dressed up several nights and not one night stood out to me as having significantly more people dressed up than other nights.

Ok..Thank you. 

Been a few years that I haven’t cruised and now first time cruise post COVID. 
I like also the answer of MKing8288. I can understand where photo nights would be put away for isolating and protecting.  I will set up a photo session when on board the ship for date we want to celebrate. 

I always wore cocktail dresses for dinner on NCL either way. For me FreeStyle says I can do whatever I choose.😃.  Thanks for everyone’s response.🙂

Edited by Starrgazer50

11 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Norwegians night out was the title for the night

There was also a "Dress Up or Not" night promoted.  May have been the same evening as Norwegian night out, may not.  But becuase the OP specifically asked about "Dress Up or Not" night, I think it's important to be clear that "Dress Up or Not" night did indeed exist and apparently no longer does.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Agree with @reeinaz's experience. Each night different folks may choose to dress up and wander around in search of photographers, who are very much present around the ship. There wasn't a designated night though, and I've heard through Cruise Critic posters this went away, possibly pre-pandemic. 

BTW - howdy neighbor! 

Howdy neighbor 👋 

• Like 1