Port changed to Rotterdam.. Apex, getting off ship time?

LLindaC

Greetings. Trying to book flights, really don’t want to spend another night in Europe. They changed port from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, which I understand is a 30 min or so train, but catching it may be iffy?  Ship arrival 6 am, I know there’s clearance time. The flights are at 11 on Delta..I realize that’s pushing it, but we will transport our own luggage. I’ve found another flight at noon, a lot more expensive. Your thoughts?

LLinda.  Who knows.  If you disembark on your own from Rotterdam at say 7am you could be at the airport by 8am. . . if everything went perfectly.  That gives you a bit over and hour to check your bags.

The question is will 7am actually happen?

Any problem on the way to the airport as you will be in the morning commute?

Will your booked private transport be on time?

How will things be at AMS?  Today taking 3 hours to check in STILL - that from relative in the chaos - from the curb to checking bags!

What happens if they change your flight time say an hour earlier?

We are using TAP at 1pm.  Earliest I would care to book.  Cheapest for us would be to spend the night near AMS and take a next day flight at 6am area.

This same question gas been asked a few times.

While it is a very tight connection from either Amsterdam or Rotterdam I think it is possible.   Saying that I personally would not do it myself.

My expectations are that clearance time in Rotterdam or Amsterdam will be limited as you will have already cleared into the EC.   Basically walk off is like at airport - Walk off and go through the green lane.

Come out the door of the terminal and walk down Wihelminaplein about 2,000 feet which takes about 10 minutes.    Enter the Wihelminaplein underground station and take a train to Rotterdam Centraal (trains about every 15-20 minutes) and get off at Rotterdam (4th stop) which takes about 5 minutes.

From Rotterdam Centraal take a train in the Direction of Schiphol / Amsteram -  They run about every 20-30 minutes.   It takes about 25 minutes to Schiphol and the Station is in the Airport Terminal. 

My guess is if you are off the ship by 8:00 AM you will be at Schiphol by 9:00

May sound like lots of time but if you look at the news stories at Sciphol earlier this year because of a labor dispute Amsterdam was a total mess and took hours to get through and luggage was lost for days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LLindaC said:

Greetings. Trying to book flights, really don’t want to spend another night in Europe. They changed port from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, which I understand is a 30 min or so train, but catching it may be iffy?  Ship arrival 6 am, I know there’s clearance time. The flights are at 11 on Delta..I realize that’s pushing it, but we will transport our own luggage. I’ve found another flight at noon, a lot more expensive. Your thoughts?

I had hotel reservations in Amsterdam for 2 days before and 3 days  after the cruise.  It was easier to change my hotel reservations to combine everything and come in 5 days before the cruise.  I had to change my flights, it cost me a little more, but it was easier as I got a transfer to the airport from Celebrity which only cost $30.00. I am just glad they did not due it after final payment was made.

Another recommendation is to join your Roll Call.   I know that on our many are booking private transfers and seeking others to join them to split the cost.  

I'm mostly saying this as your thread will probably be moved to the European  Forum.   The moderators usually like to move transportation and port threads to that forum.

Thanks, people. Yes, I’ve been in Europe when strikes happen, once there was an accident and Munich was shut down. We are hiking in Italy the week before, arriving in Rotterdam night before cruise..that’s why I don’t want to spend another evening. I might just fly one way and change airlines. Apppreciate your comments.