Fairbanks

KYBOB

We are starting a land tour in Fairbanks the first of August and we’re going to come in a couple days early, one to make sure our luggage starts the trip with us( never had issues until this year now it seems your bags do not travel with you or take different vacations) and get over the jet lag and time difference (+5 hours for us). And was thinking of renting a car/SUV for those days and have been trying to see if there is anything worthwhile to drive to say 2 -3 hours distance one way? I figured the first day we would take in what is in Fairbanks. The land tour has the usual gold dredge, pipe line, etc. once it starts. 
any suggestions would help.  I have looked at the tourism and travel sites which seem to want to sell me a guided tour of some sort. 

Obviously visit North Pole.  

When we were there rode out to the pipeline (just north of the dredge).  The drive east to the hot springs is very long but did see a fair amount of wildlife on it.

First, I would not suggest driving to North Pole unless you want to visit the Santa Claus House, or, as I refer to it, the emporium of poor taste; the three story fiberglass Santa out front should suggest that the place if full of tourist junk made in China.

I would not describe a drive to the Chena Hot Springs Resort as being "very long."  The resort itself is located at mile 57 (or so) of the paved Chena Hot Springs Road.  The first 25 miles or so are through some rather funky subdivisions, but at about mile 26 you enter the Chena River State Recreation area (over 254,000 acres) with has hiking trails (consider Angel Rocks, or for more experienced hikers, the Granite Tors trail), campgrounds and so forth.   The habitat is very "moosey" so look for them.

At the CHSR consider taking swim wear and visiting the rock pool.  A tour of their ice museum/ice hotel is interesting, and they also offer free tours of their geothermal energy facility which not only harvests the geothermal energy from the hot springs to provide electricity to the entire complex but also heats the hydrophonic (sp?) green houses which allows them to grow lettuces, greens and herbs even at -50F.  Definitely try their restaurant.  Best tomatoes in Alaska.

The White Mountains National Recreation Area is about 1 million acres in size and is north of Fairbanks on the Steese Highway.  Some interesting vistas and also hiking trails, but these trails are for the experienced.

Rikas Roadhouse is on the Richardson Highway about 100 miles from Fairbanks.  Rika's is part of the Big Delta State Historical Park.  Several years ago a long time concessionaire chose to not renew their contract and the state has had problems securing a long term contract.  So do your research and check their website.

In  Fairbanks I would suggest the Fountainhead  Antique Auto Museum.  A prior post mentioned the UA Museum, but the correct name is the UAF Museum of the North, and I also recommend it.  

Other ideas include the Tanana Valley Farmer's Market  Traditional days are Wednesdays and Saturdays.  In addition to truck farmers vendors include crafters selling their own products.  And there will be food trucks so we often grab a quick lunch there.

Friends of Creamer's Field sponsors free guided nature tours of the refuge.  Days and hours are now being finalized so check their website.  The refugee is never closed and the trails are popular with locals.  

All of these attractions have websites, so google is your friend.  And I am curious if our OP has checked the Explore Fairbanks website.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the suggestions! 

I had not found the explore Fairbanks site, I kind of passed over it, it was in with Viator and other tour  sites. I will check it out thanks. 

7 hours ago, KYBOB said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! 

I had not found the explore Fairbanks site, I kind of passed over it, it was in with Viator and other tour  sites. I will check it out thanks. 

Explore Fairbanks is the name of our visitor's bureau.  

After posting I realized I had neglected to mention the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitor's Center.  Explore Fairbanks is located there in addition to the Alaska Public Lands Information Center.  Their free exhibit hall augments the exhibits at the Museum of the North.   Check the Morris Thompson website.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!  We too are doing a land tour/cruise through Princess and we are coming in 3 days prior as well to explore!  Going to rent a car through Turo (kinda like airbnb for cars - cheaper than rental companies).  Would love to have gone to Chena Hot Springs, but my boys are 15 y/o and not allowed in the hot spring.  We improvised and I found Running Reindeer Ranch, a tour hour tour in a forest where the reindeer walk freely.  They are tame but not trained.  Located in Fairbanks.    

Running Reindeer Ranch is very popular.  

Access to the Chena Hot Springs Rock pool is restricted by age, but I am not aware that access to the hot tubs is also restricted.  And they can certainly take tours of the ice museum and energy tour.  The drive through the Chena River Rec. Area is prime moose habitat.