Skagway vs Hubbard?

cruisemomsp

Lookin at Princess for 2024.  Southbound has both Hubbard and Glacier ports but does not have Skagway.  It has Icy Strait Point instead.  Northbound has Glacier Bay and College Fjord with Skagway as a visited port and no Icy Strait Point.  Do I give up Skagway for Hubbard (South) or Hubbard for Skagway (North).  I'm so torn.  I don't know which one to pick.  We really would rather the southbound trip but willing to do the northbound if Skagway is a must.  

Glacier Bay and College Fjord are wonderful and Skagway would be a bonus.  This would be my choice. I don’t care for ISP as there’s little to do there of interest, for me, other than whale watching. Hubbard can be difficult to get to due to ice. There is an expensive excursion from the ship that takes you closer to Hubbard but is usually sold out early.   

I remember what Skagway was before it was found by the cruise industry.  It has become too touristy for my taste but there is a great quilt shop in Skagway.

ISP was developed by the local native corporation (Hunt Totem) and is an example of folks of first nations heritage creating jobs for their local economy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

I remember what Skagway was before it was found by the cruise industry.  It has become too touristy for my taste but there is a great quilt shop in Skagway.

ISP was developed by the local native corporation (Hunt Totem) and is an example of folks of first nations heritage creating jobs for their local economy.

The Yukon is beautiful though!

Skagway is our favorite port! Except besides dinner at the brewing company on our last cruise, we’ve never actually spent any time there. We pick up our rental car and hit the road as soon as we’re off the ship. Also, Hubbard glacier isn’t a port, it’s a glacier. The captain will sail as close as he can to it, but on a clear day, it’s spectacular! We’ve managed to get there twice on gloriously beautiful days and there’s nothing like it. 

• Like 2