Upgrade offer to sold out cabin?

odobee

MSC Meraviglia April 9: Received email to bid on upgraded cabin.  I'm interested in putting in a bid on the suite with whirpool on terrace, which are sold out currently.

How can they offer an upgrade to a sold out category?

2 hours ago, Falcon8 said:

They are also offering “upgrades” to the people in those cabins. If they take an upgrade then their suite will be available.

My thoughts exactly. I placed a bid on my upcoming cruise on the Seascape for the Yacht Club Interior room, which was sold out at the time of my bid. I won the bid and got double upgraded to a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. 

Not sure how accurate it is, but I have read that MSC allots cabins by country on their websites, so there may be cabins showing as sold out on the US site that are still available on the UK or other MSC websites. If the upgrade bid site has access to all available cabins, that would alao explain why someone may see a category as sold out, but win a bid for an upgrade to the sold out category.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrProtractor said:

My thoughts exactly. I placed a bid on my upcoming cruise on the Seascape for the Yacht Club Interior room, which was sold out at the time of my bid. I won the bid and got double upgraded to a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. 

Welcome to CC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

They use the same third party as NCL.  They also look to data mine.  Have never ourselves gotten any real savings bids on upgrades.  

Correct; they offer upgrades even when there are technically no cabins available in order to see what people might be WILLING to pay.  On our upcoming sailing the upgrade offer is equivalent to what we could pay to book it outright.