Anyone else have chaotic disfunctional bar service?

brianosaur

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

I’d like to see the drink packages go away completely.

1. It would weed out the jerks who drink one after another because it’s unlimited. 

2. Drink quality was a lot better before the packages came into effect. One great cocktail is better than 3 bad ones anyway. 

As cruisers know, there are cruise lines without drink packages. The drinks are included and the fares reflect it. The high cost of climbing aboard keeps the yahoos out. Now, if what you really want to see is an affordable cruise line without drink packages, well, I think there is almost zero chance of that ever happening. 

As someone with an extensive work history in the hospitality business, I know for a fact there is no such thing as an objectively great cocktail. A particular cocktail, made by a particular bartender, using particular components, may taste great to a particular individual. Plenty of other consumers will just look at that one drink quizzically. Loads of people will much more enjoy three assorted drinks of debatable quality because people love choices: Drink one thing now, a different thing later, and yet a different thing after that.

MSC knows this. Additionally, a crystal-laden staircase doesn't pay for itself. So, something has to give and bar service is a great place to squeeze money out of the overall revenue.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Now, if what you really want to see is an affordable cruise line without drink packages, well, I think there is almost zero chance of that ever happening. 

Not to date myself but we’ve been cruising since the early 1980’s and most of those years  drink packages were not in existence. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, styles27 said:

" 'Europeans don’t want to wait in line' which I don’t buy…we never saw that anywhere we’ve travelled in Europe." 🤷🏻‍♀️

"Honestly, it’s been a few years since we’ve been on Carnival but I don’t remember the party crowd on Carnival being this bad."

Our one non-YC MSC Caribbean cruise (in Bella) was rife with European line-jumpers. My wife, who is European, overheard two instances in particular of such people, in their own language, owning up to their shitty behavior to people in their group. "Don't care. On holiday. Pretend I don't know English."

Plenty of people behave better in their homeland than they do on an overseas vacation. 

As far as Carnival is concerned, they have issues with (alcohol assisted?) brawling and have had to increase security presence and raise the price of in-room bottle service. A plain ol' bottle of Bacardi White is $135. You can bet there will be plenty of "Carnies" who will show an interest in the cheaper consumption costs of MSC.

Will MSC's changes in drink package sales make a difference? Maybe, but not until all those pending drinks-included reservations are cleared from the ledger.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, no1talks said:

Our one non-YC MSC Caribbean cruise (in Bella) was rife with European line-jumpers. My wife, who is European, overheard two instances in particular of such people, in their own language, owning up to their shitty behavior to people in their group. "Don't care. On holiday. Pretend I don't know English."

Plenty of people behave better in their homeland than they do on an overseas vacation. 

Horrible. Sounds like the majority of people on our cruise. All 4 of my grandparents were immigrants from Europe they would be embarrassed by these people. 
We knew a lot of them could understand and speak English even though they pretended they couldn’t.  

They were a very poor representation of their homeland. 

One lady at the buffet refused to let a line cutter go in front of her. He was a large man too.
She kept pushing back and looked at him and said “you listen to me you get to the end of this line and wait like the rest of us” he gave her a dirty look and walked away. lol

I said “good job” and she said “I’ve been a teacher for 30 yrs I know how to put them in their place” 

It’s been 8 days since we got off Divina and we still can’t believe what we experienced. 

So for us it’s no cruising during major holidays again and if we do book MSC again it would be in the YC.

I hate to do that because I want to enjoy the entire ship but we don’t ever want a repeat of what we just experienced. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

"Not to date myself but we’ve been cruising since the early 1980’s . . ."

Lot's differences since then. Fewer (if any) ice sculptures on mainstream cruises, for example. You don't see monstrous midnight buffets anymore, either.

It's about money. For the relatively few hard-chargers who wring every drop from a package, there are loads of cruisers who cannot drink enough to break even and the house wins. Cruise lines didn't invent packages to lose money

Here is a story on the topic, from "long ago" cruising. 
https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/norwegian-cruise-line-adds-drink-option-carnival-celebrity/story?id=17726352

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I'm not a math guy, but I seem to remember from high school that one of the defined characteristics of a line was that it had no limit, but ran infinitely.  😁 🏴‍☠️

See it wasn’t useless information after all lol

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Lot's differences since then. Fewer (if any) ice sculptures on mainstream cruises, for example. You don't see monstrous midnight buffets anymore, either.

It's about money. For the relatively few hard-chargers who wring every drop from a package, there are loads of cruisers who cannot drink enough to break even and the house wins. Cruise lines didn't invent packages to lose money

Here is a story on the topic, from "long ago" cruising. 
https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/norwegian-cruise-line-adds-drink-option-carnival-celebrity/story?id=17726352

Oh definitely it’s changed so so much. I have photo albums full of pictures of those midnight buffets and the butter and ice sculptures. I miss those days.

The only time we buy the all in package is on MSC because it is usually very little to add it to our cruise. 
We only paid $180 total for the two of us for the all in easyplus and WiFi on this last 14 day cruise.
We knew our bar tab would be more than $180 for 14 days so we definitely came out ahead and usually do on MSC. 
We’ve found that the other cruise line drink packages are way overpriced (for the amount we drink) and we’ve never purchased them.

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

Here’s my pro tip. Take it how you will. We always bring $100 in singles on every cruise. Most times, when walking up to the bar, I will tip the bartender 1-2$. The bartenders start to recognize this/you. Then, when the bar is busy, they’ll see you in line and know what you’re looking for. Many times they’ll make my drink and point to me in line. I’ll politely say excuse me to other passengers and make my way up to get my drink(s). I’ve found killing them with kindness (even when you may not want to) goes a long way as well.

Same said for the buffet area or pool deck. Tip for drinks and those servers will always walk by and make sure you’re taken care of. 

People should be served in the order they arrived and not in the order of how much of a bribe they give to the server.

DON

• Like 3

12 hours ago, travelberlin said:

We were in June in the Magnifica. We have experienced mostly friendly bar services and we got our drinks without delay. No need to tip anyone for getting a better service in MSC. At least not in Europe.

Yes I want to also confirm that after 6 European cruises and 1 South American cruise on MSC in 2022, I didn't experience what is discussed here.  Ships are busy or full (compared to 2021) and sometimes it takes longer to get served at some bars, but I always experienced friendly service and nothing I would call dysfunctional.  I also cannot recall a time when I thought the other passengers were behaving poorly, though I'm sure there must have been a few occasions.  Based on the reports here it seems to be only an issue for cruises originating from US.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

People should be served in the order they arrived and not in the order of how much of a bribe they give to the server.

DON

I don’t disagree. That said, those folks work long hard hours for the money they deserve. Many are single income supporting a spouse and children halfway around the world. I have no problem tipping them for their attentiveness and efforts. I was raised to take care of those who take care of you. 

16 hours ago, no1talks said:

As cruisers know, there are cruise lines without drink packages. The drinks are included and the fares reflect it. The high cost of climbing aboard keeps the yahoos out. Now, if what you really want to see is an affordable cruise line without drink packages, well, I think there is almost zero chance of that ever happening. - Actually, mainstream lines drinks packages are a relatively recent sort of thing. On MSC they appeared by 2011 or so. My first was 2014 or so. Nothing from the "good ole days". And for the sake of us all. If the yahoos remain set to threaten the whole cruise community and to impose additional reputational risks on the cruise lines, you can be sure that the drinks packages, or at least the unlimited version of them will have their days counted on the affordable lines. Enjoy till they go. Meanwhile: From some time MSC has sold all their tickets from where I live with at least the Easy drinks package included. From mid December onward they restarted the classic tickets with no drinks promotional and cruises less than 6 nights are all of them classic ticket with no drinks at all.

As someone with an extensive work history in the hospitality business, I know for a fact there is no such thing as an objectively great cocktail. A particular cocktail, made by a particular bartender, using particular components, may taste great to a particular individual. Plenty of other consumers will just look at that one drink quizzically. Loads of people will much more enjoy three assorted drinks of debatable quality because people love choices: Drink one thing now, a different thing later, and yet a different thing after that. - That is market segmentation, like elsewhere... Want a once in a lifetime drink? I know from where I'd to pick it up, and perhaps not on a cruise ship! Want your regular mainstream line regular daily drink?... Surely: I'd go to the nearest generic bar onboard!... Regular individuals won't call for the once in a lifetime drinks. The existence of a few specialty bars onboard, especially on the newer ships comes handy for a reason. But those are mostly smaller venues with a relatively smaller more luxurious offering and maybe a limited operational time attached to them.

MSC knows this. Additionally, a crystal-laden staircase doesn't pay for itself. So, something has to give and bar service is a great place to squeeze money out of the overall revenue. - Sure, but if a particular business model adds more risks than the actual value, they'll to change it for a better one. There are no miracles!...

• Like 1

I know it may be a small complaint but I see it as a problem when not one bartender on Divina can make a decent martini. I wanted to jump over the bar and do it myself. 
Every single one had way too much olive juice in it. Every one reached for the lowest quality vodka even though our package included the better brand. Etc etc etc. 
After 14 days of that it gets old. So I drank wine. 😏 

Is it just me, or can't we just say that something didn't meet our expectations? What is it about Cruise Critic that brings out the extreme drama with "chaotic" and/or "dysfunctional"? We can't look at food and say "I didn't like ____", we have to go to "inedible". 

When we want to be negative, a "tip" becomes a "bribe". 🙄

Do we describe things with extreme language hoping that people will "settle" for something more in line with the truth? Or do we use extreme language as a means to sway opinions when we aren't sure the facts will do it on their own?

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Is it just me, or can't we just say that something didn't meet our expectations? What is it about Cruise Critic that brings out the extreme drama with "chaotic" and/or "dysfunctional"? We can't look at food and say "I didn't like ____", we have to go to "inedible". 

When we want to be negative, a "tip" becomes a "bribe". 🙄

Do we describe things with extreme language hoping that people will "settle" for something more in line with the truth? Or do we use extreme language as a means to sway opinions when we aren't sure the facts will do it on their own?

Very well put. Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Actually, mainstream lines drinks packages are a relatively recent sort of thing.

I don't know why you are actually-ing me. I posted a link to a news story from the period during which these packages originated, being familiar with the timeline of the topic. When I wrote, "Here is a story on the topic, from 'long ago' cruising," the quotes around "long ago" were not literalist quotation marks. They were sarcastic quotation marks.

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

If the yahoos remain set to threaten the whole cruise community and to impose additional reputational risks on the cruise lines, you can be sure that the drinks packages, or at least the unlimited version of them will have their days counted on the affordable lines.

If I carried around that much hyperbole, I wouldn't have to go to the gym. 😉 
While I cannot speak to the percentage of EU residents who pay attention to the reputations of cruise lines, I can say the majority of Americans are not emotionally invested in the scuttlebutt of cruising. In 2019, there were about 14.2 million cruise passengers embarking from the US. The population of the US that year was nearly 330 million. Clearly, the typical American didn't just disembark from one cruise and isn't picking which pair of deck shoes to wear on the next.

Drink packages are on the affordable lines to help keep those lines affordable. The packages make money, not lose it. The over-consumers are highly visible, but over-consumption isn't the only reason the packages are purchased. Convenience is a huge draw. Variety of beverage choice is another.

4 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Meanwhile: From some time MSC has sold all their tickets from where I live with at least the Easy drinks package included. From mid December onward they restarted the classic tickets with no drinks promotional and cruises less than 6 nights are all of them classic ticket with no drinks at all.

Eliminating the inclusion of a drink package is all well and fine, but it is in no way the same thing as doing away with drink packages entirely. So long as MSC's add-on Easy & Easy-Plus packages are attractively priced for Carnival passengers, those passengers will buy a cheap MSC fare and slap that drink package on with nary a thought, regardless of wanting the package for convenience, beverage variety, or continual drunkenness. 

4 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Sure, but if a particular business model adds more risks than the actual value, they'll to change it for a better one. There are no miracles!...

I think the actual risk history (in serving copious amounts of alcohol) indicates no such change is coming. If one were to do an Internet search of alcohol-related litigation, from the time of drink packages entering the cruise industry, one would find lawsuits running the gamut from minor boo-boos while tipsy, to multiple wrongful death suits. I'm talking about deaths ranging from the multiple and expected drunk-man-overboard, to grisly bleed out due to an arterial cut on broken glass while under the influence.

If years of intermittent incidents/litigation involving injury and death, connected to over-serving cruisers, hasn't already killed drink packages, a stampede of Carnies over to MSC won't. MSC, however, will do three things:
1) Count the money the Carnival transplants spend on board.
2) Respectfully suggest the appalled Bella, Fantastica, and Aurea cruisers take refuge in Yacht Club.
3) Respectfully suggest the appalled Yacht Club cruisers to take refuge on Explora.
🤣
That's my prediction.

• Like 3

I continue to state the obvious...but if you are accustomed to cruising on other N American lines...you will be disappointed and frustrated if you cruise MSC outside of Yacht Club. I have cruised 2x on Seaside...both times in YC and had top notch service. I would often walk the ship and was amazed by the rudeness of passengers, long lines in Guest Services, lack of organization  and slow service. I found if I visited the atrium bar and sportsbar mid day/early afternoon I had little problem getting a drink. Before or after dinner....my observations were of passengers 2 to 3 people deep at bars and very few servers taking drink orders.  You get what you pay for....the cost difference of YC vs a high end balconey cabin on another line is not that much more when you factor in all the amenities you get in YC (drinks included, etc) . Save yourself frustration and book YC... and enjoy what MSC has to offer 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

I continue to state the obvious...but if you are accustomed to cruising on other N American lines...you will be disappointed and frustrated if you cruise MSC outside of Yacht Club. I have cruised 2x on Seaside...both times in YC and had top notch service. I would often walk the ship and was amazed by the rudeness of passengers, long lines in Guest Services, lack of organization  and slow service. I found if I visited the atrium bar and sportsbar mid day/early afternoon I had little problem getting a drink. Before or after dinner....my observations were of passengers 2 to 3 people deep at bars and very few servers taking drink orders.  You get what you pay for....the cost difference of YC vs a high end balconey cabin on another line is not that much more when you factor in all the amenities you get in YC (drinks included, etc) . Save yourself frustration and book YC... and enjoy what MSC has to offer 

Upgrade to YC balcony from Aurea balcony in march is $1200 per cabin for a 4 day cruise (that I already paid too much for!).  Maybe worth it??? Another $150 per person per day ( for four…).  I booked the MSC BEFORE reading recent reviews.  Sigh.  

20 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

I continue to state the obvious...but if you are accustomed to cruising on other N American lines...you will be disappointed and frustrated if you cruise MSC outside of Yacht Club. 

Or you will be delighted.

No cabin stewards who want to be your buddy but rather you almost unseen servant.

No constant announcements of trivia, junk sale or whatever.

Live music all around the ship, pop, jazz, opera, bar piano ... 

Lively, but not rowdy atmosphere.

Tbc...

Or

you just throw away your demand that every line (every hotel, every restaurant, every place in the world) is like what your are used to being US centric and rather start to appreciate what is different and positive.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

I continue to state the obvious...but if you are accustomed to cruising on other N American lines...you will be disappointed and frustrated if you cruise MSC outside of Yacht Club

O please ,this is biggest nonsense ever. i see no different between other lines and MSC . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

I continue to state the obvious...but if you are accustomed to cruising on other N American lines...you will be disappointed and frustrated if you cruise MSC outside of Yacht Club

O please ,this is biggest nonsense ever. i see no different between other lines and MSC . 

Seems to be the new normal.  Never noticed so much bad behavior preCovid.  Recently sailed Princess, RCCL and MSC.  MSC was in YC [much better setvice], but whoa some of my fellow passengers.   I feel for the staff, has to be disheartening. I don’t think it’s the cruise line…. When Disney Parks had to add behavior etiquette to travel info it’s not going well anywhere 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 12:01 PM, Morgsmom said:

Frozen drinks are made to order, take a lot of time and then the blender needs to get cleaned out.  My opinion only as I know a "pina colada" means holiday to some folks.  ALTERNATELY, MSC needs to invest in dedicated frozen drink machines (like at Bahama Breeze) so that they just just "pull" from the handle and serve.

I've been saying this for years, but on ALL cruise lines. This has always been an issue with everyone. I know at some resorts I've been to they have pina colada and strawberry daiquiri slushy machines and all the bartender has to do is add booze. It seems so obvious. Maybe there are some health/cleanliness reasons not to do this.

But I haven't yet been to a poolside bar on a cruise that wasn't super-crowded pushy passengers, but with bartenders who were in no rush. I think best solution is to flag down a waiter and let them deal with it. I'll be over here chilling out in the sun.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:20 PM, GOLDENBONNY said:

Please yourself.... MSC is not even up to the Carnival standard outside of YC..... Its a s___show in many ways

On 1/21/2023 at 1:25 PM, Moz said:

Do you foresee this as a continued problem into the fall.  If this is the case we will have to cancel we are cruising MSC to escape the Carnival crowd or is it the Europeans who are fowling it up for ordinary cruisers who will just tip $1 or $2.

It is currently far cheaper to sail and drink on MSC than any other cruise line that offers a drink package. The Carnival clientele will follow.

• Like 1