Premium liquor package 109 a night!

George C

We skipped AI for our upcoming six day: 2 people at $750pp, + $210 in gratuities bring us to a cruise only total at $1710, vs $2,534 AI. 

Our itinerary is port-intensive with only 1 sea day, so no real need for miserable wi-fi (and, looking forward to being barred from checking work email at 9PM).

We're planning to get most of our drinking fill on land, local beers and cocktails during our galavanting. 4 bottles of (our favorite) wine and a case of soda in the cabin don't hurt either.

Key for us, we're also boarding with $451 in credit, so for us, that's plenty of allowance for a few nightcaps from the martini bar when needed. Anything leftover is a nice discount on the gratuities.

I think with the ludicrous amount of OBC X is throwing at people, the equation gets a little more complicated if you're not interest in the spa or specialty dining. The fun money is our drink package! 🍹🍸

Edited by kguerriero

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  I got it to show up now.  My example is 1308 without and 2263 with AI.

Not quite the cruise fare, but fairly close.

~800pp vs ~1400pp with premium beverages for the sailing I was looking at. 

Thanks for the per drink pricing Markeb.  That helps!  Last time we cruised (pre-pandemic), we booked with no drink package.  But X kept sending us tempting deals so we bought the Classic.  By the time we boarded, we upgraded to the Premium package.  It was a GREAT cruise! 🍻🍹😄  The price was much more affordable then.  *sigh*

Regarding the font???  I often choose comic sans, which is one of the choices on this website.  Not sure why it's so unreadable...nobody's ever mentioned that before.  Also, how does a cruise website "fine" a user????? 

Later...

Oink 🐷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I suppose that a lot of it has to do with the length of the cruise and the cabin type.

For sure. Plenty (most?) people on here are shopping suites which we'll never do despite our means.  Just don't see the value in doubling our cost for a space that's still rather small when we spend little time in the room. 

We were shopping a Thanksgiving cruise on a non-Edge ship. Best option that came up was a 6n Reflection. Non-obstructed veranda. 

1 hour ago, D C said:

For sure. Plenty (most?) people on here are shopping suites which we'll never do despite our means.  Just don't see the value in doubling our cost for a space that's still rather small when we spend little time in the room. 

We were shopping a Thanksgiving cruise on a non-Edge ship. Best option that came up was a 6n Reflection. Non-obstructed veranda. 

The perks definitely are my main reason for booking suites, Luminae is way better than mdr , suite lounge is very pleasant and offered drinks all day along with some tasty happy hour snacks, edge class gives you a private outdoor area with pool , hot tub , bar , great service for drinks , they also bring chilled towels , snacks etc . But we all spend our money are what our priorities are , some have a second home , new cars etc . Mine is suites and flying first , I know many people with lots more money that don’t want to do this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Droink said:

Thanks for the per drink pricing Markeb.  That helps!  Last time we cruised (pre-pandemic), we booked with no drink package.  But X kept sending us tempting deals so we bought the Classic.  By the time we boarded, we upgraded to the Premium package.  It was a GREAT cruise! 🍻🍹😄  The price was much more affordable then.  *sigh*

Regarding the font???  I often choose comic sans, which is one of the choices on this website.  Not sure why it's so unreadable...nobody's ever mentioned that before.  Also, how does a cruise website "fine" a user????? 

Later...

Oink 🐷

Lost in translation. I meant that you could see the font "fine", as in it displays perfectly for you. Yeah, don't give anyone ideas on fines...

Comic Sans will be perfectly readable on a Windows system. Maybe android. Don't know. It's not a standard font on iOS and Apple's little twist on a Microsoft font is apparently to substitute a script font. Cruise Critic offers Comic Sans as a font, but unless the iOS user has downloaded an extra font package, it's not there. And if you're typing on a PC, it'll look perfect to you. I remember a thread a few years back that was pretty heated to begin with, but one of the posters was using Comic Sans (I think) and people were practically screaming at them that they couldn't read their posts. The poster saw exactly what they were typing...

Enjoy the cruise!

On 1/21/2023 at 3:53 PM, grandgeezer said:

Every cruise I’ve priced shows a cruise only price and I’ve run some of them to the place where you formal book the cruise and no mention of any drink packages. That was ten minutes ago.

When you chose a cabin category on the Celebrity site, it will then ask you if you want the 'all inclusive' package.  Yes it's more.  It includes the classic drink package, wifi and gratuities.  If you order a drink that's more than the included $10 drink, the difference plus gratuity will go onto your account.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:10 PM, AnnaNicole said:

On my last two cruises,  the staff pushed Celebrity branded Elegance wine that was $11/glass.  Many times, they were out of all of the premium wines I requested.   I ended up having to go to the Wine Cellar to get a good glass of wine (thanks, Nelson!).   

I only drink two or three glasses of wine.   The package was a convenience factor for me.   Now that I have to buy the same package for my husband (who does not drink), it is not worth it.    

In September, I paid $728 total including gratuity for a Premium alcohol package for myself and a classic non-alcohol package for my husband for a 7 day cruise.

In December, I paid $437 total for 5 day cruise for Premium Alcohol package ($60 per day) for me and classic non-alcohol ($13 per day) for my husband. 

In January, I would have to pay $1680 for the two of us, as he will have to have the same Premium alcohol package.   If I could do the same packages as our last two cruises, it would be less than half that amount.  

Are wines by the glass in Cellar Masters included in premium package?  If so, I can't believe I've never taken advantage...

On 1/21/2023 at 3:31 PM, jelayne said:

Both people in a cabin do not have to have the same package but if 1 has an alcohol package both have to have an alcohol package (some exceptions, medical, pregnancy, recovering alcoholic).

So you could book AI and just upgrade your package.  

Nope.....just tried upgrading my package from classic to premium while keeping my wife's package with the included classic package.  Tried online and then tried calling customer service.  The price difference used to be 10 bucks + 20% gratuity or 12 bucks.  It's now 20 bucks + 20% gratuity or 24 bucks times two people or 48 bucks for the two of us to upgrade.  12 bucks a day on an 18 day B2B is doable at 216.00.   48 bucks per day on an 18 day B2B is not doable at 864.00.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, D C said:

You just need to factor in the upgrade price (+gratuity) if you want premium.  That's around $16.50 pp pd from the looks of it. 

It used to be 10 bucks a day plus gratuity for the upgrade from classic to premium and one person could do it.  It's now 20 a day + gratuity and both people need to do it.  So, what used to be 12 bucks a day for 1 person to upgrade is now 48 a day for both to upgrade.  So, no World Class Bar drinks or Martini bar drinks for us on our 18 days on the Beyond in November. Not going to pay 5.00 + 20% per drink extra. The Sun Princess is looking better and better.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It used to be 10 bucks a day plus gratuity for the upgrade from classic to premium and one person could do it.  It's now 20 a day + gratuity and both people need to do it.  So, what used to be 12 bucks a day for 1 person to upgrade is now 48 a day for both to upgrade.  So, no World Class Bar drinks or Martini bar drinks for us on our 18 days on the Beyond in November. Not going to pay 5.00 + 20% per drink extra. The Sun Princess is looking better and better.

FYI, I recently upgraded to Premium for our upcoming cruise & my other half did not. 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:24 AM, George C said:

I would get my money’s worth also, but I think at least in some cases it pays to book a sky suite since it normally comes with premium drinks, tips , WiFi etc . 

That's what we did.  After figuring out the cost of the PDP, Grat and Wifi were it to be purchased separately, it was worth it to pop the extra for a SS and get the Retreat. 

1 hour ago, RealDeal said:

FYI, I recently upgraded to Premium for our upcoming cruise & my other half did not. 

Post 33 from Saturday had a link to the current Terms & Conditions, which coincided with what I was told today on the phone by the CSR, which states that if someone in a cabin upgrades, all occupants must upgrade.

They are shooting themselves in the foot.  I'll pay 12 a day, but not 48 a day.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Post 33 from Saturday had a link to the current Terms & Conditions, which coincided with what I was told today on the phone by the CSR, which states that if someone in a cabin upgrades, all occupants must upgrade.

They are shooting themselves in the foot.  I'll pay 12 a day, but not 48 a day.

I don't know... they seem to be able to keep jacking up the rates (suites, at least) with no apparent slow down in bookings. I was looking at a sky suite on the beyond for March two weeks ago. At that point, it was ~$5,900. I looked again today and it was $7,900. Sorry but %^$# them !

Tom

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I don't know... they seem to be able to keep jacking up the rates (suites, at least) with no apparent slow down in bookings. I was looking at a sky suite on the beyond for March two weeks ago. At that point, it was ~$5,900. I looked again today and it was $7,900. Sorry but %^$# them !

Tom

It's kinda bizzare.  I booked a cruise back in June of 22 for March of 23.  I did another booking for the same category (S1 SS) and the price is almost $7.4k MORE than what I paid.  I had to pull out the booking confirmation to make sure I was seeing it right.   I realize it's only 2 months out instead of 9 months out, but that's a heck of a price jump (and now it's supposedly 75% off the 2nd guest).  I thought you were supposed to be able to snatch "last minute cruise deals"? 

7 hours ago, Quik2flip said:

Are wines by the glass in Cellar Masters included in premium package?  If so, I can't believe I've never taken advantage...

Most are , some are not , we had a lot of 1 to 5 dollars charges for wine or scotch. Recently we ordered several Johnny Walker Greens which was just a dollar over.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

It's kinda bizzare.  I booked a cruise back in June of 22 for March of 23.  I did another booking for the same category (S1 SS) and the price is almost $7.4k MORE than what I paid.  I had to pull out the booking confirmation to make sure I was seeing it right.   I realize it's only 2 months out instead of 9 months out, but that's a heck of a price jump (and now it's supposedly 75% off the 2nd guest).  I thought you were supposed to be able to snatch "last minute cruise deals"? 

Yep. I guess the "deal" they're offering is extending to you the opportunity to sail on their ships so long as you're "worthy", lol. Granted, there are plenty of low rates still being dangled for insides.

I don't blame them for trying to make some cash back from the shutdown - I just can't see these rate increases going on forever. At least I hope not, I'm not sure how much disposable income is floating around out there!

I'd love to try an EV on the Beyond - I just can't see paying nearly 30 grand for a week.

Tom 

I'm looking at all-inclusive resorts now.  The cruise lines are ridiculously over-priced, and the drink packages are just outrageous. WTH? Once on the ship, the crew are like islanders constantly bothering you to sell their wares.  What a shame.  It used to feel like a special event.  Gone! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

I thought you were supposed to be able to snatch "last minute cruise deals"? 

My theory (for which I have no proof, just a gut instinct) is that "last minute cruise deals" are a thing of the past since cruise lines have started the Move Up bid program with PlusGrade. At least for suites, Aqua, and Concierge, and maybe verandas. If they can fill those categories with move ups, they can choose to offer last minute deals on the insides and ocean views without lowering the prices on more expensive categories. 

7 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

My theory (for which I have no proof, just a gut instinct) is that "last minute cruise deals" are a thing of the past since cruise lines have started the Move Up bid program with PlusGrade. At least for suites, Aqua, and Concierge, and maybe verandas. If they can fill those categories with move ups, they can choose to offer last minute deals on the insides and ocean views without lowering the prices on more expensive categories. 

MamaFej completely off-topic but love the words inside of your flower!!!!!  (fellow Ukrainian here lol)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

1 hour ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

It's really strange to me.  We've enjoyed Celebrity for our veranda price point, but can't imagine the experience increasing proportionate to the cost of higher tier rooks. But it clearly works for plenty of people, and as a shareholder I'm not complaining about that particular aspect. 

On 1/23/2023 at 11:12 PM, George C said:

The perks definitely are my main reason for booking suites, Luminae is way better than mdr , suite lounge is very pleasant and offered drinks all day along with some tasty happy hour snacks, edge class gives you a private outdoor area with pool , hot tub , bar , great service for drinks , they also bring chilled towels , snacks etc . But we all spend our money are what our priorities are , some have a second home , new cars etc . Mine is suites and flying first , I know many people with lots more money that don’t want to do this.

Thanks for the perspective. It really is about what's important to us as individuals.  We have a friend who is quite well-off, whose son is in the "ridiculously wealthy" category. When the son's private jet is unavailable/chartered, they fly Spirit (the son, that is), and our friends never sail above a regular veranda.  We're equally happy in a regular veranda, as it spreads out our vacation budget.  Not going to say we're happy to fly Spirit, but we will. 2 hours of a better flight experience to get to a cruise is nice, but not sufficiently memorable. 

Edited by D C
  • Like 2