Gibraltar cable car

amajaa

I was going to put this question in the Ports Of Call Forum but then I would have answers from other Cruise Lines which might not be the same as what happens on P & O Tours.

My question is has anyone done a P & O Ships tour that includes the Cable Car as if you read the details , including the one that is specifically called Cable Car and a garden visit, it seems you only get the cable car up the rock and have to walk back down. 

Can anyone confirm if you do get the ride back down? 

1 hour ago, happy v said:

I'm not sure.

We did do this on our own and if I remember correctly the garden is very close to the cable stop. It's a straight flat walk along the main street. You could always get a taxi if needed.

Yes we have walked up to it many times but was always worried if we went up independently and there was a queue to get down we might not get back to the ship on time as they only ever seem to stop for half a day. Plus we have OBC to use so was thinking perhaps we use it on something like that. Last time we went to Gib and wanted to use our OBC we went on a whale watching trip. Guess what never saw one whale or even a dolphin. 

We did an excursion in Gib where we went up in the cable car and the tour bus met us near the top of the rock. I don’t think this is the same tour you’re looking at as we didn’t visit the garden, it was a good few years ago now so afraid I can’t remember too much about it.

The gardens are free.

You can get cable car up and down for half price of tour. The caves, fantastic stalagmiites etc and light show included in price a must ser. So is the glass overlook. We walked down to the ww2 tunnels also included in cable car price , then got a local bus back. Took from 9.30 leaving ship to 13.30

Edited by Windsurfboy

5 hours ago, amajaa said:

I was going to put this question in the Ports Of Call Forum but then I would have answers from other Cruise Lines which might not be the same as what happens on P & O Tours.

My question is has anyone done a P & O Ships tour that includes the Cable Car as if you read the details , including the one that is specifically called Cable Car and a garden visit, it seems you only get the cable car up the rock and have to walk back down. 

Can anyone confirm if you do get the ride back down? 

We did a Gibraltar tour from Azura in October, (using some OBC), which started with a coach ride to the cable car, that we rode up to the top (as a tour group we skipped the queue to get on it).  We visited just about all tourist spots up there, except for the Moorish  Castle.  We walked a lot between places up there, (but that was mentioned in the description), and had a small coach take us between some places and then took us back to the ship afterwards.  The walking also gave us plenty of chance to see the apes in various places.  I would recommend that tour very much, but it was quite a lot of time walking/standing, especially at the WW2 caves as the coach cannot go right up to them, but we were given the option to stay on the coach then and skip those.  Need to be reasonably fit, but most walking was at a leisurely pace.

The only gardens I can think of are at near bottom station of the cable car, not up the rock.  As far as I know all tours take you from the ship and back again unless mentioned otherwise, though presumably you could leave the tour at some point and make your own way back if you choose to do so, (we have done that occasionally), but obviously mention that to your guide, or they will be waiting for you when returning from the ship. 

It is a fair distance from the ship to the cable car, but we were taken there by bus, or there are shared taxes to the main square and public buses on to the cable car/gardens if you went independently.  Cost of those is very little in Gibraltar.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The gardens are free.

You can get cable car up and down for half price of tour. The caves, fantastic stalagmiites etc and light show included in price a must ser. So is the glass overlook. We walked down to the ww2 tunnels also included in cable car price , then got a local bus back. Took from 9.30 leaving ship to 13.30

Yes the gardens are free. 

If I remember correctly what is included in the cost of entry to the rock and the cable car has changed, so depends what deal you buy I think, but not entirely sure, I may be thinking of somewhere else.  We were given wristbands that did cover entry charges on the rock as part of our tour, which we had to scan at various entrances.  Presumably details of entry costs and the cable car will be online, so can check if entrances are always included easily.

There were some traffic jams of mini buses which were doing tours up there and as I said we were transported in a small coach for some transfers on the better roads, though was a bit more limited in where it could go, but it was good to walk some of the way, rather than be stuck on a minibus in a traffic jam.  I doubt you would be able to just pick up a taxi when up there. 

Edited by tring