Livorno to Florence Transfer

jmmess

What is the best way for 7 of us to get from the port of Livorno to Florence? I know there is a train from Livorno Centrale, but this might be a challenge as my mom has limited mobility. I’ve seen private transfers, but they seem astronomical considering I’m not looking for a tour and just a transfer. Are there 7 passenger taxis at the port or would we need to take 2 taxis? Any shared bus options? Our cruise docks overnight, so we aren’t looking to be back at the ship at a set time (actually plan to go back in the evening).

Longer-distance private transfers are often pricey. Europeans are generally accustomed to using the good and reasonably priced public transportation systems.

I highly doubt that you will find a taxi to carry seven passengers just waiting at the port. Are you thinking of taking a taxi just to the train station, or all the way to Florence?  If the latter, you'll find it probably is not going to be any less expensive than arranging a private transfer....  A taxi for up to 4 people to the train station could be had for around 20-25 euro pre-COVID, but you often had to work a bit to find a driver willing to undertake the short trip -- of course, they want the longer, full-day fares to Florence or other points in Tuscany....

Other than the train, there is a tourist bus service that departs from the main piazza in Livorno and goes either to Florence or to Florence + Pisa. The problem with this service is that it only has one return time back to Livorno, generally in time to accommodate cruise passengers on the ship with the earliest departure time. So if you have an overnight, you would really be shorting yourself on time in Florence.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Longer-distance private transfers are often pricey. Europeans are generally accustomed to using the good and reasonably priced public transportation systems.

I highly doubt that you will find a taxi to carry seven passengers just waiting at the port. Are you thinking of taking a taxi just to the train station, or all the way to Florence?  If the latter, you'll find it probably is not going to be any less expensive than arranging a private transfer....  A taxi for up to 4 people to the train station could be had for around 20-25 euro pre-COVID, but you often had to work a bit to find a driver willing to undertake the short trip -- of course, they want the longer, full-day fares to Florence or other points in Tuscany....

Other than the train, there is a tourist bus service that departs from the main piazza in Livorno and goes either to Florence or to Florence + Pisa. The problem with this service is that it only has one return time back to Livorno, generally in time to accommodate cruise passengers on the ship with the earliest departure time. So if you have an overnight, you would really be shorting yourself on time in Florence.

Thank you for the reply. The transfer would be from the port of Livorno to the city of Florence. We are planning to do a cooking class in the late afternoon, so we would need a taxi that could take us back to the port around 8pm. I've only found shared transfers that leave at 3:45pm, so this doesn't work in our situation. I had read another post that said some taxi vans are available, but not sure if there are any possible providers to contact in advance.

This is a tough problem.  When all else fails in Livorno, you might want to e-mail Sifracar which is a local rental car company that has been around for years.  They do rent larger vehicles (9 seats), but you would also need to ask them if they could arrange a driver.  You would likely need to pay for the minibus and driver for the entire day and this is going to cost hundreds of Euros.  Their e-mail is

info@sifracar.com.  This company does not normally provide drivers, but I am thinking without enough notice and money, anything is possible :).

Hank

• Like 1