Cadiz or Jerez?

Slugsta

We are due to be in Cadiz for the day on 7th Feb. At the moment, the plan is to visit Jerez (although riding school not possible that day) but we are wondering whether we would be better of staying in Cadiz. 

My mobility is limited and I use a lightweight electric wheelchair when we are ashore. We both enjoy exploring old towns (despite the uneven surfaces!), having a look at the local museum and church (OH's tolerance for churches is more limited than mine), a coffee/pastry/drink. We are not beach bodies, even when it is warm enough! OH considers the day a success if he has not been anywhere near a shop although I enjoy a bit of gentle browsing.

I would have liked to go to Seville but have to accept that it would be outwith my energy levels.

There is much to see and do in Cadiz itself, actually more than enough for a single day.  We did go to Jerez on one of our several Cadiz port calls, but I think you might struggle with getting on and off buses or trains.  We could not see a performace at the riding location due to port times, but we did get to watch a training session, which displayed many of the movements and also  toured the stables.  These were 5 star luxuryas the horses are considered to be the equine equivalent of "superstars".

Although Cadiz Old Town might present some challenges with a scooter, it won'rt be impossible, and there is a lovely (flat) walk around the outside of the Old Town with the sea on one side and many pretty little parks and gardens along the way.

There have been many previous threads about Cadiz and i recommend you use the CC SEARCH option  to find them and read the replies.  Also read tourist info sites for Cadiz (including tripadvisor).

Here is one previous thread to start you off:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2881440-cadiz-questions/#comment-63729793

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We had a private walking tour with our guide Jesús and he was a star. He is proffesional local guide in the city. Prompt, good communicator, personable and shared a wealth of knowledge. His passion for his home land of Cádiz came through and I would highly recommend his tour. Particularly appreciate the off the beaten path stops and local insight. I am grateful he spoke excellent English and made this tour very enjoyable for my family and me. He has many different kind of tours: Historical experiences, monuments, local food, half day tour, full day tour, etc. You can find him on Instagram, Facebook or Website as JESÚS GUÍA CÁDIZ or also info.cadizlocalguide@gmail.com

• Like 1