Hypothetical - Can You "Overpay" in Payments?

Rick&Jeannie

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Including that of the gift card?  So, you would just have a balance on the gift card, which there is a link on the PCL website, to check your balance.

I knew your were out there…thank you for the reply!

Yes, BUT your credit would be on the booking until Princess processes the refund which could be 7-21 days. It’s far better to pay the amount owed and then take the partially used gift card to Passenger Services and have them apply the remainder of it to your account as an OBC ( or purchase OBC with it in advance).

16 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Yes, BUT your credit would be on the booking until Princess processes the refund which could be 7-21 days. It’s far better to pay the amount owed and then take the partially used gift card to Passenger Services and have them apply the remainder of it to your account as an OBC ( or purchase OBC with it in advance).

Thank you again!  

Well, this topic may never be resolved as far as my particular case goes.  I chickened out and just applied the exact amount to pay off the booking. I've sent the remainder to a TA to apply to another future cruise. I was hoping that it would have just automatically converted to OBC for the first cruise. Oh well...no big deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, this topic may never be resolved as far as my particular case goes.  I chickened out and just applied the exact amount to pay off the booking. I've sent the remainder to a TA to apply to another future cruise. I was hoping that it would have just automatically converted to OBC for the first cruise. Oh well...no big deal.

I thought we did resolve it?  You overpay, it sounds like a credit back on the overage to the gift card, which you could check your balance on the website. Use it at a later time.  

Does not sound like it converts to OBC just because your overpay.

Or, I think the better thing to do, is what @Shelly97060 suggested…. Pay the exact amount due on your cruise with your gift card…then take that GC to GS

when your OB and have them post the balance in OBC.

57 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

This is the way to do it- only pay exact amount. It doesn’t automatically convert to OBC.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

I thought we did resolve it?  You overpay, it sounds like a credit back on the overage to the gift card, which you could check your balance on the website. Use it at a later time.  

Sorry...I did not mean to imply that we did not have a resolution.  There were several who chimed in with very good opinions and *probably* what was best to do...but there was no real answer to my actual question as to "What would happen?"  Most were (good) opinions...I was just curious if anyone had actually tried to do what I was asking about, hence the "Hypothetical" point in the initial question.  All moot now...since I went ahead and did what @Shelly97060 suggested.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm sure I can find any number of places to sell me a gift card at actual face value.  I prefer the 10% discount through AARP.

I really need to get some of these. I've bought cards multiple times in the past when Princess had deals to buy cards at full price and get a "virtual" card as a bonus. I'd rather get the discount up front from AARP. I finally looked into this and will be buying some cards in the future.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I really need to get some of these. I've bought cards multiple times in the past when Princess had deals to buy cards at full price and get a "virtual" card as a bonus. I'd rather get the discount up front from AARP. I finally looked into this and will be buying some cards in the future.

Can't beat an "across the board" 10% discount!  I have paid the entire cruise off (except for the initial deposit) for our upcoming Iceland/Norway trip using the AARP cards.  I just looked online yesterday.  Maybe I missed seeing them before...but they have discount cards now for ALL the main cruise lines.

11 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Can't beat an "across the board" 10% discount!  I have paid the entire cruise off (except for the initial deposit) for our upcoming Iceland/Norway trip using the AARP cards.  I just looked online yesterday.  Maybe I missed seeing them before...but they have discount cards now for ALL the main cruise lines.

Do these come in the mail as physical cards or are they e-cards? How many can be purchased at a time? We have a B2B2B coming up this fall and I'd love to save 10% on the cost of the cruises.

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Do these come in the mail as physical cards or are they e-cards? How many can be purchased at a time? We have a B2B2B coming up this fall and I'd love to save 10% on the cost of the cruises.

You get an email...usually within 5 minutes with a link to click on which takes you directly to the online card.  Max of 5 to purchase per month.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You get an email...usually within 5 minutes with a link to click on which takes you directly to the online card.  Max of 5 to purchase per month.

Just got 5 emails for the 5 $500 cards I just purchased. I'll have to do this 5 more times or so to pay for our fall sailings. Nice to save money. 😎

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Just got 5 emails for the 5 $500 cards I just purchased. I'll have to do this 5 more times or so to pay for our fall sailings. Nice to save money. 😎

Off topic, but…5 per person, per month.  Hypothetically. 😆

Edited by PacnGoNow

I tried this exact thing.  It would not allow me to pay more than the final payment amount.  I had to call my PVP and she applied the remaining balance of the gift card to my OBC.  You have to know the exact amount that's left on the gift card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Off topic, but…5 per person, per month.  Hypothetically. 😆

I see that there is a definitive answer to the original question above. It's what I would have "thought" would be the case but it's good that someone has actually tried (and failed) to do what the OP asked about.

As for buying 5 cards per person per month... My wife will have no interest in making purchases when she can just have me do it. No biggie. Good information though. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Congrats!  When I hit the 5 limit I just logged into AARP as my wife...

38 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

I am intrigued by this, but how does it work when you use a TA? I have to send my payment to her. 

Have done this a couple of times now.  I Just email the the PDF of the gift card download and she takes care of it.  That's all they need because it has the GC number as well as the PIN.

2 hours ago, szubieta said:

I tried this exact thing.  It would not allow me to pay more than the final payment amount.  I had to call my PVP and she applied the remaining balance of the gift card to my OBC.  You have to know the exact amount that's left on the gift card.

Thanks for going through the motions to see what would happen!  As we can all see...it's not much more than a curiosity but at least it gave us something to talk about!! 😄

12 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Have done this a couple of times now.  I Just email the the PDF of the gift card download and she takes care of it.  That's all they need because it has the GC number as well as the PIN.

Our cruise last May was paid for with Princess Gift cards I had been holding all through the shutdown. I had a couple of the digital "bonus" cards that were supposed to expire. Due to the shutdown I tried to get them extended and was successful with two of them but another two expired. There went the "advantage" of having purchased the cards in the first place. D'Oh! This way is much better. (I was sitting on more than $6,000 of Princess gift cards all through the shutdown. I was glad to finally be able to use them!)