Cairo Egypt Pyramids

taxmantoo

Posted on the Africa board, but they seem to be rather slow and not much activity, so am repeating here.

Stopping in Alexandria next summer and plan on taking a HAL ship excursion to Cairo to see the pyramids and lunch on the Nile.  The excursion will be prepaid for.

Should we really get some Egyptian Pounds currency before leaving Canada for incidentals during the day if required, i.e. camel ride, photos, tips, etc or can we get by with credit card and American dollars?  How much local currency would you suggest?

25 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Posted on the Africa board, but they seem to be rather slow and not much activity, so am repeating here.

Stopping in Alexandria next summer and plan on taking a HAL ship excursion to Cairo to see the pyramids and lunch on the Nile.  The excursion will be prepaid for.

Should we really get some Egyptian Pounds currency before leaving Canada for incidentals during the day if required, i.e. camel ride, photos, tips, etc or can we get by with credit card and American dollars?  How much local currency would you suggest?

My recollection is that all vendors were willing to negotiate in US dollars or euros. Not sure about Canadian $$. Credit cards rarely accepted by the camel handlers or true street vendors but if you stop somewhere to shop on the ship excursion (e.g., the cartouche/jewelry store, carpet store, etc.) they will take credit cards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

It is never good to do this,  IMO.    Your ATM or CC will give better exchange rate for sure.   Better than any service or in person bank.

Almost anyone welcomes USD as tip.

Sometimes you can negotiate no fee on cash advance from a CC.

Edited by bdd123
  • Like 1