Flying from Sydney to Melbourne

34TigerLily

We will be spending a few days in Sydney then flying to Melbourne for our round-trip cruise from Melbourne.  It appears that the airlines have very restrictive baggage allowances.  Their definition of a personal item is way smaller than what a US airline allows.  This would mean checking additional bags. Has anyone flown this route and what has your experience been re luggage, 

Edited by 34TigerLily

3 hours ago, 34TigerLily said:

We will be spending a few days in Sydney then flying to Melbourne for our round-trip cruise from Melbourne.  It appears that the airlines have very restrictive baggage allowances.  Their definition of a personal item is way smaller than what a US airline allows.  This would mean checking additional bags. Has anyone flown this route and what has your experience been re luggage, 

Which airline are you flying with, they all have different allowances ?

Does your schedule allow time to take the train? It runs twice a day (day or overnight) and costs ~A$140 first class (and saves airport transfers). Baggage limit 2 x 20kg. https://transportnsw.info/regional/regional-train-coach-facilities/xpt-regional-trains

Note that I've not done it myself. I'm booked to take it in March out to Sydney for a Celebrity cruise then home afterwards. 

On 1/23/2023 at 4:50 PM, beatleman said:

Which airline are you flying with, they all have different allowances ?

I don"t care which airline. I checked Air New Zealand and Qantas because I have miles on them from partner airline programs.

On 1/24/2023 at 5:54 PM, MelbTone said:

Does your schedule allow time to take the train? It runs twice a day (day or overnight) and costs ~A$140 first class (and saves airport transfers). Baggage limit 2 x 20kg. https://transportnsw.info/regional/regional-train-coach-facilities/xpt-regional-trains

Note that I've not done it myself. I'm booked to take it in March out to Sydney for a Celebrity cruise then home afterwards. 

We are considering the train but I hate to waste an entire day in transit unless the scenery makes it worthwhile.

Qantas is the most generous and the fare includes a snack or meal, 10 kg total of carry as a personal item plus bag and 32kg checked luggage. You can purchase an extra checked if required.

Don't catch the train. There is a reason that MEL-SYD is the 2nd busiest route in the world with around 150 flights per day.

10 hours ago, yarramar said:

Qantas is the most generous and the fare includes a snack or meal, 10 kg total of carry as a personal item plus bag and 32kg checked luggage. You can purchase an extra checked if required.

Don't catch the train. There is a reason that MEL-SYD is the 2nd busiest route in the world with around 150 flights per day.

For a normal economy class passenger who is not a Qantas Clus member or Qantas Silver, Gold or Patinum Frequent Flyer, on a domestic flight the limit is 23 kg checked luggage. Business class is 32 kg.

Checked Baggage Qantas Domestic

We are doing similar and have booked Virgin Australia. We found the Choice class includes a checked bag and carry on. You can purchase additional checked baggage. 
The US has always been generous with size of carry on bags compared to the rest of the world. We have purchased luggage to accommodate and if needed purchase additional baggage.

• Like 1