No mobile phone

Tablelamp

On 2/1/2023 at 4:53 PM, bbtablet said:

1420016532_CoralRestaurant11BookingApp3TableReady.thumb.jpg.8e9b22c7c198aa7528d0cd78afb13748.jpg

Notice it says: "Please confirm your booking. If you no longer want this table, please cancel."

O.K. So what follows? "Leave queue" and "I'm on my way"! Clear? - well, yes, to me.

BUT people who are not confident using technology will be looking for "Confirm booking - I'm on my way" and "Cancel booking", and in that order - not the reversed order above.

This is the problem I find with the I.T. kids who write this stuff - they know what they mean; other kids know what they mean; but strugglers will struggle, asking themselves:

What do they mean?

Why have they not used the words I am looking for?

Do I have to press "leave queue" as well as press "I'm on my way" because I am no longer in the queue?

If so, which one should I press first?

If I press the wrong one first will the other one disappear?

If that happens will I lose my table reservation?

If that happens what do I have to do now?

I dare not press anything now!!

This is when, as another poster said, using I.T. becomes "work", and needlessly causes doubt and confusion for some. P&O insisting that "My Holiday" is an App when it is not is another instance of "well you know what we mean."

It reminds me of the P&O site when it was trying to tell us what the rules were for travelling and boarding regarding Covid and vaccinations etc - full of ambiguities mostly through using complicated ways of saying simple things because the writer, who has all the facts, lacks the skills to write what is necessary and cannot place themselves in the position of the reader, who is trying to glean the facts from their communication.

That’s such a bad design, clearly not been through any user testing as those ambiguous word would have been dropped. The first choice should always be the positive one. This would never have got through user testing when I worked in IT, there is a a large risk of mistakes being made. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

QR are codes are in use everywhere, I have seen them on headstones, which give details of the individual buried beneath, including pictures and videos.

Going back to restaurants, I tried it in one In Birmingham during the Commonwealth Games, but wouldn’t allow me to order a pizza on the menu without the mushrooms, so had to order via normal method in the end.

We used to have that problem with Spam back in pre-computer days